Airfix Fw 190 A-8 1/72

In 2014 my Fw 190 "production" is very much underway. Its one of my favorite planes. 2014 was also the start of my own business, that meant my modelling was interrupted, for a longer time.

Its always a good idea ( for me) to re start the hobby with something easy. Some new Airfix kits in 1/72 came to rescue!

There were also a Spitfire Mk. I/II,a fabric winged Hurricane and a Hawker Typhoon purchased, the 190 was the first.

Build out of the box, i added new gun barrels and a pitot from Master and tape for the seat belts.

Some parts were too crude in the kit and were chaged from a retired Italeri kit. These parts were the fan behind the prop, the underbelly loop antenna and the ladder.

Te instrument panel sits too far forward, i changed this, but in the end nothin but the seat will be visible.

Painted with self mixed acrylics. After the dark prime, i noticed the paint won t stick on the plastic. The next Airfix kit will be washed before building.

It was great fun, i hope you like it

Cheers

Bernd

stap1wmatchstick_zps0a6cd640.jpgstep2cockpit_zps96d4f386.jpgstep3airframecomp_zps8a6ccd29.jpgmasterbarrels_zps3a9802ab.jpggunson2open_zps29cafe66.jpgstrippedprimer_zps6222e467.jpgbluetack_zps8bfd40ef.jpgcoloronupper_zpse6acd410.jpgdecaling_zps251477ec.jpgdeconopper_zpsee43fdec.jpgdeconunders_zps07888fa0.jpgwheelsonklein_zpsda4aa741.jpgdecalsgunswing_zps196731f4.jpgneudecalsrumpf_zps41d8b82a.jpgmg131_zpse0795f89.jpggunsgunsightheadrest_zps1310f736.jpgundersidecompleted_zpsbacb9025.jpgfinish2klein_zpsd5c56d3c.jpgfinish3_zpsb253acda.jpgfinish4_zps9019397b.jpgfinish5_zps9a6904e1.jpgfinish6_zps9c5cf629.jpgfinish1klein_zpsed3a7ea1.jpgcompare2_zps66a9bfa4.jpg

• Like 14

Lovely Wurger, Bernd! It's a nice little kit, isn't it? I have two of them - one almost completed, and the other one well on the way. I'm doing mine as F-8's with the blown canopy, but I may buy another to do as an A-8.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Lovely Wurger, Bernd! It's a nice little kit, isn't it? I have two of them - one almost completed, and the other one well on the way. I'm doing mine as F-8's with the blown canopy, but I may buy another to do as an A-8.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason, yes they are nice kits, pure fun to build. Is your 190 here presented ?

Sadly, not yet, although when I finish my F-8 (I still need to prime and paint it), I'll post some photographs, whenever that will be. I'd love to do the squiggly winter camouflage as depicted on the box, but I don't know how I'd do that.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Superb 190 BerndM! Lovely finish and I do like the way you've taken the odd photo alongside everyday household objects to show the scale - it's worth being reminded that these 1/72 AC are actually quite small! I might do something similar with the 1/76 Tiger 1 I'm building over in the AFV section - it seems tiny in my clumsy, big fingers at times.

Great work! Well done.

• Like 1

Sadly, not yet, although when I finish my F-8 (I still need to prime and paint it), I'll post some photographs, whenever that will be. I'd love to do the squiggly winter camouflage as depicted on the box, but I don't know how I'd do that.

Regards,

Jason

Jason,i would love to see yours, the Airfix panel lines can take lot of primer, as well the valleys in the fabric, i used this sand color, as seen in one of the pics. The winter "whirls" in 1/72 will be a challenge, i guess. Maybe some test runs with a brush, or prime the kit with a white color and use very thin "sausages" of blue tack

Good luck

Best

Bernd

I got one of these the other day by mistake. Didn't have my glasses with me but that's another story. Anyway thanks for the heads up and a good result

Thank you for your kind comment ! ???

Superb 190 BerndM! Lovely finish and I do like the way you've taken the odd photo alongside everyday household objects to show the scale - it's worth being reminded that these 1/72 AC are actually quite small! I might do something similar with the 1/76 Tiger 1 I'm building over in the AFV section - it seems tiny in my clumsy, big fingers at times.

Great work! Well done.

Thank you very much, yes this is very small, it was "relaxing" to mount the MGs for example :-)

Will have a look on your Tiger

• Like 1

Excellent build and finish! Using that match was excellent for scale, makes me appreciate how small all the bits are.

Thank you very much, after i dusted my bench in September, my big Revell Ju 88 was (and still is) on the bench and i needed somewhat easy and different.

Small kits can be fun too :-)

Hi Bernd,

good looking Fw 190 that you made there! Nice to see that you are doing models in 1/72 scale, too. Never tried one of the new Airfix kits, as I still have enough of the old ones in the stash. The Thunderbolt in the background looks very nice, too. I remember you told me that you built one when I posted mine.

Btw: Canules as gun barrels are really an (inexpensive) improvement.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Hi Bernd,

good looking Fw 190 that you made there! Nice to see that you are doing models in 1/72 scale, too. Never tried one of the new Airfix kits, as I still have enough of the old ones in the stash. The Thunderbolt in the background looks very nice, too. I remember you told me that you built one when I posted mine.

Btw: Canules as gun barrels are really an (inexpensive) improvement.

Cheers,

Mario

Hi Mario, thank you very much for your kind comment, i am glad that you like my little one. My modelling in 1/72 was restarted some time ago, if you are familar with bigger scales, its not easy to get this smaller scale look right, my results were a hit and miss affair, so far.

If you have some budged for spare, get yourself one of the kits, Some of the newer molds are really good kits, the Typhoon or the Vampire are excellent for example.

Yes thats the P-47 i have mentioned, it needs some touch ups before i will posting her, Some weeks ago, i made a photo session with her and had to note, that my modelling

was not really ready for our camera :-(

And i use canules ,but i did not have the right stuff in my spare box for this one.

Found your F-100 on Revells FB side, liked it !

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

Well done!...one of my faves...congratulations!

Luiz

Thank you Luiz, i am glad you liked this one too. After my double build here, its time to show, that i do not always, 190s ;-)

Hi Mario, thank you very much for your kind comment, i am glad that you like my little one. My modelling in 1/72 was restarted some time ago, if you are familar with bigger scales, its not easy to get this smaller scale look right, my results were a hit and miss affair, so far.

If you have some budged for spare, get yourself one of the kits, Some of the newer molds are really good kits, the Typhoon or the Vampire are excellent for example.

Yes thats the P-47 i have mentioned, it needs some touch ups before i will posting her, Some weeks ago, i made a photo session with her and had to note, that my modelling

was not really ready for our camera :-(

And i use canules ,but i did not have the right stuff in my spare box for this one.

Found your F-100 on Revells FB side, liked it !

Cheers

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

this is a very good start in 1/72! For my Thunderbolt I have used canules from Revell´s plastic cement. Some days ago I have ordered some from the internet. Bought the largest they had and found that 0.9 mm were slightly smaller than the Revell cement needle.

Thank you for your like of my F-100. I knew who was that Bernd who had seen the F-100 in an english speaking forum :) . I think these century fighters are more a special interest subject, as my model is on the last place.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Jason,i would love to see yours, the Airfix panel lines can take lot of primer, as well the valleys in the fabric, i used this sand colour, as seen in one of the pics. The winter "whirls" in 1/72 will be a challenge, i guess. Maybe some test runs with a brush, or prime the kit with a white colour and use very thin "sausages" of blue tack

Good luck

Best

Bernd

I tend to use a lot of primer, Bernd, so I don't mind fairly-deep panel lines (in fact I like them, because of my habit of using a lot of paint - scale panel lines tend to disappear under my heavy-handed paint jobs). That's a good idea about the sausages - I'll test that on some sacrificial model.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Hi Bernd,

this is a very good start in 1/72! For my Thunderbolt I have used canules from Revell´s plastic cement. Some days ago I have ordered some from the internet. Bought the largest they had and found that 0.9 mm were slightly smaller than the Revell cement needle.

Thank you for your like of my F-100. I knew who was that Bernd who had seen the F-100 in an english speaking forum :) . I think these century fighters are more a special interest subject, as my model is on the last place.

Cheers,

Mario

Hi Mario, where have you ordeed these cnules ?Your F-100 on your great display looked very familar to me, i hope it will gather much more deserved attention

Best

Bernd

Hello.

Very nice fw190. I like how it looks like. Clean and not to over wethered.

I have done the same model over a year ago and remember problems with the decals.

Well done

Thanks for your compliment, 1/72 scale aircraft should have a 1/72 weathering, i guess.These aircraft didn t last very long. On my build the decals performed quite nice. Before i applied them, i made a polish with tooth paste, to make the surfaces really smooth. They silvered a bit after the last flat cote on the walkways.

I tend to use a lot of primer, Bernd, so I don't mind fairly-deep panel lines (in fact I like them, because of my habit of using a lot of paint - scale panel lines tend to disappear under my heavy-handed paint jobs). That's a good idea about the sausages - I'll test that on some sacrificial model.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason, good luck with that camo, i didn t try it out with the blue tack, but a second bunch of 1/48 190s will cover the fighter bombers and one of these will have this camo on.(probably)

On these Airfix kits you can t go wrong with a good load of primer.