Rigging hints

WildeSau75

Hi guys,

I am still a newbie (working on my fourth kit now) and would love to build the 1/72 Airfix Tiger Moth. What still hinders me is the rigging.

Is there anywhere a good description about how to get rigging done right - so that even a newbie like me will understand it?

Thanks for providing any information that might help.

Cheers,

Michael

I use nylon monofilament fishing line [3lb line] and the 'hole right through' method.

I drill a hole right through the wing, for each end of the fishing line 'wire'.

I thread the line though both holes. I put a drop of superglue [i use 1 to 5 second glue] to secure one end.

When that has set hard, allow a few minutes, I pull the line tight by pulling gently on it on the outside of the wing by using self locking tweezers.

I let the tweezers hang and put another drop of superglue to secure this end. I have enough time to grab the tweezers and continue to pull gently while the glue sets.

Whilst the first drop on the first end is setting I do a few other lines, so by the time I get back to it it has set hard.

All this leaves a length of line sticking out of the wing surfaces. I trim these off by using a razor blade cut down and curved. I can cut right on the wing surface. The superglue will have filled the excess size of the hole, but some times a little filler helps.

I did these that way [all 1/72]

249bda562a7668e88cb2ea0499b38375.jpg

6a6d037d22f94f2aabe5575a17168dd6.jpg

ff581c2a79a15b4e22d93fbd09688366.jpg

fddcfdacf02d5dbf14a4984f23876ede.jpg

hth

F

• Like 2

I use the same basic technique as Black Knight but with a few modifications. First, I do not drill all the way through the upper wing. I only go part way in. That way, I do not have a hole to fill on the upper surface of the top wing.

Go to a sewing supply store and look for Invisible Thread. I use the "smoke" colour - looks just the right colour to me.

HTH

• Like 1

Many and varied are the rigging methods. I use three, EZ line, stretches sprue and rolled wire. Try a few methods on an old or cheap kit or even practice on an old sprue tree and see which one you feel comfortable with. I can't give you a hard and fast rule or method apart from practice and patience

Good question Michael. I have some WWI biplanes in my stash and keep looking at them. Then I put them back. It's the rigging that frightens me off. One of them is the Eduard DH2 which is a complete rat's nest of rigging. I reckon if I can half crack that one I'll be well chuffed.

I use flower arrangers wire from the Range held in place with pva as well as the fishing line method. Blacknight, what a very nice Swordfish you have there, coincidentally I have just this minute completed the old Matchbox kit 119 Squadron machine.

• Like 1

Further;

1. If using fishing line try to drill the hole close to the angle that the rigging line will run as this will help stop the line bending where it enters the drilled hole.

2. Try and rig the same run on both sides before continuing along. Otherwise you might end up with an asymmetrical plane... ask me how I know...

3. Place a drop of super glue where you want it and dip the end of the line in accelerator/kicker. This will give you an almost instantaneous bond and is useful if you prefer to partially drill through the wing as opposed to all the way through.

HTH

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

• Like 1

Have a look at www.ww1aircraftmodels.com there is everything you need to know about how to rig.

I favour the eyelet and brass sleeve method and I'll use EZ line, knit in elastic or fishing line dependant upon my mood at the time.

One thing you will need is an Optivisor or its equivalent otherwise you'll never manage the fiddly bits.

If you need to know any specifics fire away.

• Like 1

Good question Michael. I have some WWI biplanes in my stash and keep looking at them. Then I put them back. It's the rigging that frightens me off. One of them is the Eduard DH2 which is a complete rat's nest of rigging. I reckon if I can half crack that one I'll be well chuffed.

Cracking a dh2 would mean you could rig anything especially in a silly scale

I built the WNW version and whilst it is complicated to look at its relatively straightforward but time consuming. However I wouldn't advise it as your first attempt at rigging.