1/72 Eduard Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX, VIII and XVI

172flogger

What are the overtrees?? Are they just the weekend editions?? I am confused

Rob

Overtrees are just the styrene from the kit - no decals, no instructions, no suitable-for-framing bonus fragments of a FW-190 or whatever. And delivered in a plain white box. An excellent bargain for anyone who has a stockpile of suitable decals; the instructions are available in pdf form for downloading from Eduard's web site. What's not to like? Well, besides the fact that it's not a Yak-9 - oops! I said it again... :whistle:

John

• Like 4

Me ordered two overtrees. And some time ago I ordered PP edition too...two boxes. Gonna start as soon as I get them...The problem is when I finish though. Would like to build one for model show in September. But usually my modeling plans doesn't work :(

Well will see.

I've just looked at the propect of ordering overtrees, I'm assuming t from what I've read here that the plastic is the same in all these kits, though these are late IX overtrees. Need a minimum of three for an order, @ US$9.31 each, plus UD$15.00 for shipping to NZ plus exchange rate of approximately 1.5x, is +/- NZ$63.00. I'm struggling to make that seem like a good idea for 3 naked kits. I think I'll buy fully dressed ones one at a time & by cherry picking prices & vendors reckon I'll pay very little more. :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 2

Overtrees don't make any sense to me if you factor in shipping, unless you are in urgent need of the kit. Better to wait a few months for the weekend edition, which many local retailers will stock. You spend less money and you get a complete kit as well, including the stencil sheet which is a real bonus as most aftermarket decals do not include those.

• Like 3

Overtrees can or not make sense when all factors are accounted for. Personally I've bought 5, for €7.15 each. Postage comes at little more than €2 each, giving me a total of roughly €9.5 each delivered to my door.

Sure, there are no decals included, but I have plenty of spares and I can print all stencils myself (Spitfires stencils are mostly black, good thing).

Is it expensive ? Depends... I can buy the Airfix kit for €9 at the local hobby shop, it includes decals but the level of detail is not the same that Eduard offers. And I'd have to move the car or jump on a bus.

Will the weekend edition be more convenient ? It may, but once postage is included I'm not sure. Granted, I will be able to buy this from the local store.. actually not, as they don't keep Eduard. I would have to move to a different shop, that farther out and is well known for being the most expensive hobby shop in the country...

Clearly with postage costs varying between countries what is convenient to me may not be for others. Same for decals, I have plenty while others may need to buy aftermarket sheets.

• Like 2

The overtrees look to be decent value for money. I'm not fussed about masks or the etch, I have plenty of decals for mk IXs and I rarely if ever apply stencills (72 is a full size aircraft 72 feet away - with my eyesight, I doubt I could read sqn codes, let alone make out stencils!). TBH, I only ordered them as I'd been paid and I wanted to get the kit quicker.

The AZ Joypack is good value for money - I have nine - but the KP Czech boxing is better value, having the same AZ mk IX but with an additional sprue with new intake, guns, wingtips and belly tank PLUS a comprehensive decal sheet. You'd have to be stupid not to get it.

IIRC, Mike (MJW) is offering the AZ Joypack at a better price.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 2

My Czech is very poor but at the Modelarovo.cz website there is a review of a new Spitfire and according to a person who wrote it new Spitfire has too big span (sth ca. 1/70.8 scale). I hope this is not the case as I have already ordered 4.

That's terrible, it's quite obviously fatally flawed!

I'll take them off your hands for a fiver each :P

No way....not gonna give it away....even for fivehundreder :hobbyhorse::bleh:

I've checked other Czech forums and what I've noticed is that there's some kind of "Czech kit producers' Civil War"...if I understand Czech good enough (well I should, I live 30 km from Czech border lol). I hope to put my hand on my models before the end of the month...and then I'll start my workshop...if I only have enough time.

Greenshirt (Tim) did a comparison of the Airfix, Sword and AZ Mk IX's with the Monforton drawings here. Hopefully he'll update it when he gets a hold of the Eduard kit.

I plan to...kit ordered.

Tim

• Like 3