Best C-130 Hercules book?

CarLos

I'm looking for a book on the subject more directed to the modeller, that is, highlighting clearly the differences between versions with drawings, dimensions, and so on...

I am interested also in the newer "Super Hercules" versions, both the "normal" and the stretched ones. What did exactly changed in the later versions? Wing profile? Once more I am interested from a modeller's view, not in wiring systems.

Good scale drawings would be a must.

Does this book exist? Opinions, please!

Carlos

Without going and digging out my copy to confirm the exact content the Crowood book on the C-130 is pretty full of useful info, however I'm sure it doesn't contain scale drawings.

Rgds,

Eng

Thank you Eng. By coincidence, after opening the topic, a friend came in with the Crowood book and vol. 6 of World Air Power journal. At first glance both are very good references that I will explore tomorrow.

The book has indeed scale drawings! They are in 1/144 and copyrighted by Francis Mason, I wonder if his book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/085059698X) also comes with the same drawings.

Carlos

I've been looking for drawings for the Herc too, and the only book(let) I was aware of containing anything larger than what Squadron offers was an old Warpaint (extra ?) which now must be 25 years old (and hence will lack anything post-H), with drawings by Mike Keep (as confirmed by Panoz somewhere else). Possibly there's another volume in the "new" Wrapaint series, but I haven't checked.

Verlinden had a Lock-On volume on the Herc, but I'm not sure whether it had drawings (and this one would also now be 20+ years old). How about Squadron Walk around ? There should be one on the Herc, I think, and while probably not strong on scale drawings, they usually would have drawings xplaining changes between variants.

The Verlinden Lock-On for the C-130 is really nice, LOTS of interior info. The 1/144 drawings included are for the C-130E.

I haven't got this book yet, but it's suposed to be excellent for the early C-130 kits.

HERCULES Pt.1 MODELERS GUIDE YC-130 to EC-130E

http://www.aeroresearchcds.com/book_shelf.htm

Larry

• 4 weeks later...

For differences between variants no better resource exists than the three variants briefing in World Air Power Journal:

Vol.6 C-130 Hercules part 1 - YC-130 to DC-130E

Vol.7 C-130 Hercules part 2 - EC-130E to HC-130N

Vol.8 C-130 Hercules part 3 - HC-130P to EC-130V

Written by non other than Rene Francillon so you know they'll be top notch.

Edited by Panoz

Thanks all for the suggestions. Meanwhile, Mason's book arrived but I hadn't time to explore it. The World Air Power Journal articles are indeed an excelent resource. A friend lent me vol. 6 and I hope I can find the others.