1/48 Tamiya Martlet III Desert Scheme

Hey folks!

I'm coming back to modelling after a few months off.

I found this desertic scheme of a Martlet III in a Aeromaster decals set, I found pretty attractive that I decided to work it out. Third profile here below.

I'll use the well known 1/48 Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat, Eduard photoetch interior and canopy masks.

I wont show the build of the airframe just cockpit and exterior painting.

Coming soon with cockpit update.

15739860309_3f1c197f33_o.jpg

15923955371_8a6818a2db_z.jpg

Edited by Live_bait

erm, Tamiya kit if an F4F-4, eg Martlet/Wildcat IV, a Martlet III is ...well, different

faawildcatsba_4.jpg

Martlet III 3876 (FAA Serial AX746) “H” of 805 Sqn. This aircraft is from the ex-Greek order. Note the fixed wings, and 4 wing guns. Note the Curtiss Electric prop with a stepped hub, wide chord Pratt and Whitney cowl with one cowl flap per side, and the F4F-3 type pitot. Missing are the intercooler intakes. This aircraft is in its delivery scheme of Non-Specular Light Grey (USN). In addition, the photographer used ortho film. The AMxxx serialed Martlet III were F4F-3 aircraft. The ex-Greek order were F4F-3A aircraft. Copyright is unknown.

the problem being that the F4F-4/ Mk.IV has a short chord Cyclone cowl with one flap per side, Hamilton Standard Hydromatic prop, six gun folding wings and a F4F-4 pitot.

from http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/wildcatfaaba_1.htm

The full details make my head spin...

Conversions were made, but if you really want a Martlet III you might be better off with the relevant Hobby Boss kit, even then not all the details maybe correct.

sadly, looking at this, none of the schemes are for a F4F-4/Wildcat IV

AeroMaster_48-548_Instructions1.jpg

Sorry, I don't know if ignorance would have been bliss on this or not, maybe better now than later?

HTH
T

Abort mission, abort abort abort....... :pilot:

I'll change the markings then......normal F4F-4 USN.

Thank you for posting

Glad it wasn't too late .... if you fancy a slightly different scheme for an F4F-4 then you might want the 'Atlantic' scheme

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Wildcat/F4FColors.html

With different conditions in the Atlantic, it was necessary to devise a colour scheme more useful in that environment. So in July of 1943 a new scheme consiting of Dark Gull Gray (ANA 621) over Insignia White (ANA 601) was implemented. This scheme was often called "Scheme II". There was also a "Scheme I" that included Light Gull Gray (ANA 620) in addition to these two colors, but it was rarely used. This scheme was introduced early enough to have included the red border to the national insignia, but photographic evidence is lacking.

F4F-4_Scheme_I.jpg

I forgot about this place, lots of info!

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Wildcat/F4F_pt1.html

F4F-4_Atlantic_1.jpg

all you need are some black USN numbers.

The F4F-4s in this photo are somewhat of a mystery. They appear to be in the three colour Atlantic Scheme I of dark gull gray and light gull gray over white. While that scheme was occasionally used on patrol aircraft the two colour Scheme II of dark gull gray over white was more common on fighters.

F4F-4_Atlantic_Scheme______1.jpg

I don't know if this is the 2 grey scheme, note the overpainted red surround to the stars and bars on #8, and the larger one on #2

Personally i think it's quite an appealing scheme.

also, the Operation Torch planes with oversize stars and wide yellow surrounds

F4F-4s_USS_Ranger__1_.jpg

there are more schemes illustrated on the linked page of F4F-4's.

The HB Wildcat family kits can be got pretty cheap as well if you want to use the decals.

Neat f4F-4 build here

note the cutaway cockpit floor, Tamiya have it as solid, and the internal colours

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/f4f4tb_1.htm

HTH

T

I used to love modelling before the Internet. Now I struggle with getting those details right that are obvious to some, but unknown to me. WWII is a minefield, the Cold War is becoming one and even modern aircraft are not correctly kitted by the mainstream manufacturers. So what do we do?

Me? I'm tending more and more towards motorsport modelling where there are massive photographic archives available, but even with that it can be a minefield. Oh, I long for the days of ignorant bliss....

p.s. I've got that decal sheet and sod it, I love the scheme that you were building, I might just bloody well do it! :door:

p.s. Troy, thanks for the pictures, that is a really nice scheme and one I'd not come across until now. I have an idea for my other Tamiya Wildcat, thanks!

• Like 1