1/72 ICM Tupolev Tu-2

November's project: ICM TU-2 1/72
A bit of an odd one this - At first glance it looks like a typical older Eastern European kit, a bit rough round the edges with tons of flash and the decals from hell... BUT with an amazing level of very fine surface detail, almost all of it far too fine to make out after painting.
So I've scribed all panel lines to make them visible and given her a good rivetting, most of which was still a bit too light to be seen! Scratch the built bomb bay, added the bomb racks, gun barrels, wheel wells and cockpit details also.

Anyways, may I present Theresa the Tupolev for your delectation...

15304272203_051b5e662f_h.jpg

15923264572_be73652f8a_h.jpg

15736456218_6f0667bf69_h.jpg

15923258652_991a3a1d42_h.jpg

15923260332_c6efe785bc_h.jpg

15736461298_11697a6b19_h.jpg

15737887639_92b19e4cca_h.jpg

15898112306_d4b9ff21e7_h.jpg

15736467868_e66cd5b91c_h.jpg

15736622560_5ea5f7ad03_h.jpg

15738181127_639729eb7e_h.jpg

15737896339_e49e3aa662_h.jpg

• Like 41

Thanks Cookenbacher... so you're down in Breaking Bad country! The nearest TU-2 here is in Poland I think, so unlikely I'll get around to seeing one anytime soon.
There's been a bit of a hiatus since my last build in May, but the long nights always seem right to get the plastic down from the attic!

Memphis Belle next, or maybe a VVS B-25...

Edited by albertrand71
  • Like 1

Yep Woody - Hobbyboss make a much simplified TU-2 as well, but you certainly don't see many of the ICM kits made up... probably because the build looks so convoluted and the parts are covered in flash! I've opened the box intending to build it but put it away again more times than I care to remember!

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

..., but you certainly don't see many of the ICM kits made up... probably because the build looks so convoluted and the parts are covered in flash!

It was the light covering of all components with light oil that put me off. Congratulations on fighting this one through to completion. Wonder what those funny bits of pipework on the undersides of the wing roots is? At odds with the streamlined look of the rest of the design.

• Like 1

Excellent Tu-2! Always nice to see VVS subjects, especially when they're done this well. I have this kit as well, and some day I will get around to it. The Tu-2 is I think a very handsome aeroplane (and it was quite a good one, also).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

It was the light covering of all components with light oil that put me off. Congratulations on fighting this one through to completion. Wonder what those funny bits of pipework on the undersides of the wing roots is? At odds with the streamlined look of the rest of the design.

Yes it was a wee bit greasy - I just gave the sprues a wash with some soapy water. The bits of pipework under the wingroots are external torpedo racks that I added, and are not in the OOB kit. I like it looking 'bitty' and well used.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Tu-2_at_the_China_Aviation_Museum.jpg

Nicely done - I have this very kit (not started) anything I should know about it before starting?

Not much - just clean the flash off as you go, watch that upper rear gunner canopy as it doesn't fit very well and needs some adjustment if you want to show it with the gun poking out. I split the canopy, intending to maybe show it open, but the glass was too thick. Instead I built up the frame enough to get the gun through.

The upper and lower wing roots were also an bit of issue and need to be built up with filler then sanded to shape and metal foil strips added along the joins or they'll look 'sunken' and a bit weird against the fuselage.

Ah, and one last thing - all that lovely surface detail is way too light to be seen when it's painted, even with just a light spray - it needed the panel lines scribed a bit deeper and some of the rivet detail picked out with a pin.

Good luck, and take your time!

Edited by albertrand71
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/29/2017 at 8:47 AM, JWM said:

Looks more than OK! It is very nice. I have it in stash, one day hope to do

Regards

J-W

... and you have the Polish Air Force Museum in town which should help. A stunning collection for anyone in the area, including Great War and early flight exhibits and an extensive 'engine room'.

• Like 2