Phantom menace-Revell nostalgia build.

stevej60

I like these a lot!

I don't feel so bad now building an Airfix Phantom for next years' STGB...

Dermot

Hi Dermot ,look forward to your build.I have,nt seen the airfix kits for years!

Looking better and better (and brilliant idea with the supports from spares :speak_cool: )

Did you airbrushed the white straight on, or was there any intermediate coat?

Ciao

Just sprayed straight on Giemme.great on white plastic not on the blue!

Just sprayed straight on Giemme.great on white plastic not on the blue!

To cover darker colors with white you may want to try this: first a coat of white mixed with a little bit if grey (I'm using Tamiya's, so it's Flat White and Neutral Grey), then you go over with pure white. HTH

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi folks,just a quick update: finished the undersides of both aircraft but ran out of paint for the US aircraft after priming,here,s the RN version

with it,s top coat on partly glossed and with a few decals on which I thought best to replace with spares apart from the tail marking and codes

etc where I have to use the kits.many thanks for your interest.

SDC12518800x600_zps8be208d1.jpg

• Like 4

My hat goes off to you for trying this kit!

It's the same beast that lurked in the old Revell 1/72 Blue Angels four Phantom set from years back. I was about 15 when I tried that set and it almost drove me nuts doing four of that kit at the same time.

• Like 1

Hi all,just got an hour at the table after the Christmas break so got a cover of gray on the US Phantom,it needs another light coat to finish.after after a

few scary moments I got the RN titles on the British one and had to gloss under and over them but all seems well.I was at my son,s house yesterday

and scrounged a couple of large belly tanks from the frog and Hasegawa kit,s he built and did,nt use so I will add them to these two in due course.SDC12520800x600_zpsfaa9bff1.jpg

• Like 4

Hi folks, got an hour in today so glossed the US phantom and as with the RN version wanted to see how the decals would behave.I have replaced

the star and bar from spares and again have had to gloss under and over the kits old decals,so far so good,sorry about the poor photo I,ve only

had on glass of wine as well! thanks for looking,SDC12524800x600_zps19f702cb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all,little forward movement on this project over the last few (too few) sessions,the "metalised" area,s have been masked and painted and off camera

the wheels painted large belly tanks painted too,the biggest issue is the decaling due to their age and fragility I have to gloss under and over with a flat

brush to try and get them to "bed in" the larger US Navy decals being the biggest challenge..thanks for looking in.SDC12527800x600_zpsa95b6fa3.jpgSDC12529800x600_zps36d65a21.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,just a quick update:I have finished the "metalised" areas on both aircraft here,s the RN version(awful nozzles) and started the wheels which

are equally as bad and way undersized! the main decaling is all but complete and has been very frustrating especially on the US Navy machine

with the numbers ships name etc but hell it was never going to be an easy build.Thanks for looking in.SDC12670640x480_zpsae02bfc9.jpgSDC12667640x480_zps2e9fdc62.jpg

• Like 3

Steve, I am impressed! I had all forgotten about the existence of these kits until you started this thread... I love the way the ejection seats look! All this sends you straight back to somewhere in a far less complicated past.

I really love what you've achieved.

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

Thanks Dermot,tried humbrol,s Aluminium metalic out of the tin for a change,then a wash in the detail.I left it to dry for an hour and took off the

excess with a damp cotton bud(post photograph) so it looks a little more subtle than the photo.And a no hesitation on your second question go

for the Fujimi kit OK it,s twice the price of this one but a million miles better, the Revell kits as you can see are ancient,inaccurate and hard to

find at times.

• Like 1

Steve, I am impressed! I had all forgotten about the existence of these kits until you started this thread... I love the way the ejection seats look! All this sends you straight back to somewhere in a far less complicated past.

I really love what you've achieved.

Congrats

JR

Thanks Jean,part of the enjoyment is the fact they are ancient and seeing what can be done with them.

Hi all,sadly I,ve neglected these two recently thanks to sticking four Tomahawks in the STGB,so this mornings session dedicated to a bit more.All the decalling is complete

apart from the under wing serials on the RN version.the Sparrow missiles are at the finishing stage,cockpit glazing(very poor) painting has begun and the tailplanes are

painted and on wheels(pathetic} way under size on just the hubs to add,still they look like phantom,s so I,m reasonably happy! Thanks for looking in.SDC12689640x480_zpsd4a7dad3.jpgSDC12692640x480_zps34abc03a.jpg

• Like 4