Apollo Saturn LUT by LVM Studios 2015

Hello folks,

LVM Studios have kept their word and presents in Update No. 26 a first prototype of the LUT with the levels 0 to 140. top2.gif

433510abb499aa9762951d8b3f309a24_origina
Source: LVM Studios

The beginning looks quite interesting, although I thought that they would show a finished tower after two years. At least I would have expected that they also present the Mobile Launcher. rolleyes.gif

So there is still plenty to do ... up040577.gif

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hello LUT friends,

I have asked Leon van Munster today on the kickstarter page, what happened in the last eight weeks since the Telford fair, or wether LVM is still in winter sleep ...  schlafend3.gif

Hello everybody,

as Leon has emailed me today, November and December have been busy months for LVM (hopefully with the LUT) ... top.gif

After he was also still grabbed by the flu, he is now again on his feet and will post an update this week.  a040.gif

Then we will wait and see. up040577.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello guys,

there are news from LVM, which today have presented their Update Nr. 27, in which from now on monthly updates are announced. cool.gif

First, there are some close-ups of the last shown prototype, among others like this one from the Inner structure of the first floors up to Level 80 including stair ways etc..

909666c9a21dc742ca5fee5a254f92d3_origina

06e872743d74718db4d9de6645b35a94_origina

f82c87de22d35571de72482c68a6a37d_origina

Here the LH2 pipes on the Side 3 and the carrier structure for the Service Arms on the Side 1,

e8a0b589d4dfd0c4a97edcbd061da1c2_origina

83fbeb1b1b26758462f3130138ea5241_origina 

as well as further details on this side.

a9caed4ab29bb34ab416319102d42edc_origina

Subsequently, there are a number of CAD drawings after a new design review, among others from the improved ECS piping on Side 2 and also from the new designed water supply construction, which you look at yourself best. top.gif

The design of the main structure of the tower (platforms, vertical beams, stairs, etc.) has been finalized now. Now one will continue further with the Service Arms, Walkways and  Hammerhead Crane. up045518.gif

It's going forward, but still a lot remains to be done. up040577.gif

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Hello everybody,

after I asked at LVM after three-month intermission up043952.gif on 4 June whether there is any progress or only problems, to which there was no answer so far, yesterday was humorlessly presented Update No. 28, which is equivalent to a revelation. shocked.gif 

The core statement of the boss (Leon van Munster) is simple and poignant:
"The project will be delayed further as I have not as much time to continue the work on the project as before." smiley_worship.gif

Meanwhile I also believe, that LVM have overtaxed oneself and presumably also totally miscalculated with the LUT-project, what LUT-Guru Mischa Klement already suspected some time ago ... yikes.gif

Hi Manfred 

It must be said that it is a titanic project. I just hope it will be available one day ;)

Pierre

Edited by Kagou
  • Like 1

Hi Pierre,

that's right, but then, the announcement of LVM in 2014 was too euphoric, Mischa Klement has conducted years of meticulous research for his LUT project. top2.gif

BTW, did you order a LUT kit too? hmmm.gif

Not yet ordered ;)

I already have a lot of kit to build in 1/144 scale .New Ware / LVM Vostok pad / Airfix / Revell etc etc.... and especially the same construction as you (Revell launch tower+ New Ware shuttle upgrade + Educraft + LVM PE but I choose STS 134 : the last flight of Endeavour), Another titanic project !!! :D

Pierre 

Edited by Kagou

• 7 months later...

Hello everybody,

I asked Leon van Munster again today, because it looks like it's time to say Goodbye ... up043952.gif

Hi Leon,

please tell the backers honestly the further perspective for 2018, or has the LUT project been canceled? 

It's best to get unpleasant things over and done with. 

Regards,

Manfred

Now I am waiting for his answer ... hmmm.gif

• Like 1

Hi Manfred

Sorry for you

My feeling is very shared : glad to have waited before investing but very sad to see the project stop .Like Colinlp I seriously considered buying this kit (1/144 scale) .I think best solution now is a styrene scratchbuilding with help Educraft paper kit.....

So, what about others LVM's réferences ? LVM store was under maintenance since few months

Pierre

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, colinlp said:

..........there seems to be many differences between the 3 launchers

Do you have any information about those differences Colin?  My understanding is that all three were built at the same time and to the same set of specs.

MLPs and LUTs under construction

lut_construction.jpg

source: scan from Life magazine

Small things like the covers for the 4 winches on the MLP, there's a hut next to the lift blast shield on a few pictures on the MLP, some differences in pipe type work, the MLP legs. Nothing major but it would be nice to get it close to at least one of them

I see what you mean now; however I believe the hut and covers were only there during the preparations, in the days/weeks before launches; same as the power generators often seen in photo's.  These would be removed prior to launch otherwise they would be destroyed in the blast.

The one very obvious difference that I have seen, especially for a model build, is the colours of the LUT legs at the base.  They appear to have been repainted after each launch (obviously!) but the colours were either white; grey or grey/white:

Apollo 8 - White - MLP 1

Apollo 9 - Grey/white - MLP2

Apollo 10 - White -  MLP 1

Apollo 11 - Grey/White - MLP 1

Apollo 12 - Grey /white - MLP 2

Apollo 13 - White - MLP 3

Apollo 14 - Grey/White - MLP 2

Apollo 15 - Grey -  MLP 3

Apollo 16 - White  - MLP 3

Apollo 17 - White - MLP 3

As you can see by the above list, there didn't seem to be a logical sequence or reason for the different colour of the LUT legs at the base.

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

on the one hand I can understand your enthusiasm, which is also on my mind, but remember the title of my thread, it's about the LUT by LVM Studiostop.gif

Today I once again have appealed to Leon's conscience and told him in a personal mail that it is not fair, just to be silent, what is only a great disappointment. up043952.gif

Now I'm curious if he will answer me. hmmm.gif

10 hours ago, bootneck said:

I see what you mean now; however I believe the hut and covers were only there during the preparations, in the days/weeks before launches; same as the power generators often seen in photo's.  These would be removed prior to launch otherwise they would be destroyed in the blast.

The one very obvious difference that I have seen, especially for a model build, is the colours of the LUT legs at the base.  They appear to have been repainted after each launch (obviously!) but the colours were either white; grey or grey/white:

Apollo 8 - White - MLP 1

Apollo 9 - Grey/white - MLP2

Apollo 10 - White -  MLP 1

Apollo 11 - Grey/White - MLP 1

Apollo 12 - Grey /white - MLP 2

Apollo 13 - White - MLP 3

Apollo 14 - Grey/White - MLP 2

Apollo 15 - Grey -  MLP 3

Apollo 16 - White  - MLP 3

Apollo 17 - White - MLP 3

As you can see by the above list, there didn't seem to be a logical sequence or reason for the different colour of the LUT legs at the base.

Mike

Yes the paint was a consumable meant to burn off as a form of heat shield but why the colour changes I have no idea either, The same seems to apply for the hold downs and tail service masts, they change colour frequently too.

My finished model I want to represent the pre launch preparations so the hut etc will be glued in place as I don't want them to be lost over time

Question here, those winches under the white covers, what was their purpose? I cant find a reference to that, I'm sure there is one but as yet it eludes me

Sorry Manfred, I can't seem to copy the post and quote to take it to another thread. However I think the concept of either creating your own PE parts or finishing off with styrene now may be the only solution to finish the LVM model. I suspect an answer isn't forthcoming even if it would be the least thing to be done (I hope I'm wrong)

9 hours ago, roma847 said:

on the one hand I can understand your enthusiasm, which is also on my mind, but remember the title of my thread, it's about the LUT by LVM Studiostop.gif

Today I once again have appealed to Leon's conscience and told him in a personal mail that it is not fair, just to be silent, what is only a great disappointment. up043952.gif

Hi Manfred,

yes, the subject is one that invokes enthusiasm and a desire to have such a fine model, I apologise for going off on a tangent. 

I note that Leon had progressed enough to reach level 140 (kits 3 & 4), perhaps he could be persuaded to produce and sell those as a set?   He produced the Shuttle Launcher in a series of sets, so why not with the LUT?  It would take us quite a while to assemble and detail even to Level 140, by which time he may be able to revisit the rest of his project at a later date.

Mike

Hi Mike,

okay, then make Leon this proposal, because he had plans to offer everything as individual kits anyway. cool.gif

For now, he seems to have disappeared or does not have the courage to answer or to throw in the towel. noidea2.gif

But no answer is also an answer, we say in Germany. up040577.gif

Hello LUT Fans,

Leon seems to have heard my shot across the bows,  yikes.gif because today came his answer to the backers in Update Nr. 29.

His key message at the end is: The patient is still alive and should be resuscitated in the near future! up040577.gif

This said it is NOT that LVM Studios has abandoned this project. It is still alive and I hope in the near future to bring the Mobile Launcher Apollo Saturn kits to reality!

Well then, hope dies last ... JC_doubleup.gif

BTW, I reminded him of his words at the beginning, as he said, that LVM wanted to offer individual kits and asked him, whether they can already deliver the first 4 kits, Mobile Launcher Base and details, as well as Level 0 - 140hmmm.gif

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Leon was not at the IPMS UK Nationals in Telford in November, his web site has not been updated for about a year, nor I believe his Facebook page . He is a nice chap and I was a bit concerned something untoward had happened to LVM or him personally. Glad to hear that at least someone has had correspondence with him recently.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

in the Spring Advertising 2018 Part I by Andromeda24 states:

LVM is currently no longer producing kits. They continue to work on the Launch Umbilical Tower

The Part II contains this message:

Dqph3l.jpg

Everything stays different ... up040577.gif