1/72 Eduard Bf110C-6, 1./EprGr.210, St.Omer, July 1940

Bf110C-6 2N+RH of 1./EprGr.210, St.Omer, July 1940

This is the Eduard 1/72 Bf110C-6 Limited Edition built for the Bf110 STGB build thread here

DSCN2083.jpg

DSCN2092.jpg

DSCN2094.jpg

DSCN2098.jpg

DSCN2104.jpg

DSCN2110.jpg

DSCN2112.jpg

This model represents the aircraft flown by Leutnant Erich Beudel and his gunner Obergefreiter Heinrich Diemer, which took off at 16.35 on 29 July 1940 to take part in the gruppe's attack on the convoy codenamed 'CAT'. As the attack developed the 110's were intercepted by Hurricanes of 151 Squadron and this aircraft was one of those damaged in the attack and later crash-landed back at St.Omer. Ltn. Beudel was unhurt but Heinrich Diemer was hospitalised with bullet wounds. Erich Beudel would be killed flying another 110C-6 (the S9+TH) later in the Battle of Britain and Heinrich Diemer would return to duty but was later posted as missing on the Russian Front in September 1942.

This aircraft was one of six 110C-6's originally issued to 1./ZG1 and taken with them when they were detached to form the 1st Staffel of ErprGr.210 in July 1940. Although they had their new unit badge painted on, they retained their old '2N' codes from ZG1 until new aircraft were taken on charge at the start of August 1940 when all had the 'S9' gruppe codes applied - this did not apply to the subject aircraft as it appears to have been written off in the crash landing.

Info from John Vasco's very interesting and informative book on ErprGr.210 'Messerschmitt Bf110: Bombsights over England'.

I enjoyed building this kit, though I found it a bit challenging in places compared to the other two I built in that some of the kit parts needed modification to fit the resin parts and I had some difficulty with the assembly - whether as a result of the surgery to the kit parts, bad luck or ham-fistedness I cannot say for sure :whistle: - overall though it was easier than I had expected and I am pleased with the end result.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 16

That is a very clean and precise build. Especially the blue and white spinners. How did you manage to have such a clean blue band around the spinner?

Impressive and well done!

JR

• Like 1

Thanks very much Stix :D

Thank you Pete, if you get some spare time pop over to the Bf110 single type group build forum, here - there is a variety of early and later war types on the go or completed... :)

Thank you Mike :D

Thanks Pawel :D and that's not a bad idea... I will see what sort of weather we get today and if it is bright enough I might take a 'family shot'

Jean, thank you very much :) I stuck the spinners with blu-tak onto a cocktail stick so I could revolve them freely without having to touch them, then painted the entire spinner white first and added the blue with a very fine short-haired brush which took a fairly long time and several retouches of the white where I over-ran with the blue. Ironically when I got to the decalling stage I found Eduard provide a decal for the thin white stripe at the back of the spinner so I could have saved myself a lot of work if I had known that beforehand... <_<

Cheers,

Stew

• 3 weeks later...