Mystery lighting proving a challenge !

I've just seen a comment on another forum by someone who DID use superglue with foil - successfully.

Applied with a toothpick - a clean one please Pat.

Not tried this myself, so you're going to have to show us how this turns out.

Thanks STC

So no pressure then eh !

I will do, I was thinking of making a cone out of foil and then the nosecone can be put inside it till it fits, well that's the theory anyway !

Alternatively it's shiny silver paint, I think I already know how this ones going, but if you don't try new things......

Hey Pat, how's this going me old china? I've got a couple of day's forced hiatus, so you should be able to power ahead. :)

If I can do it, so can you... race you to the finish!

Ok Rob, you're on, hairy stick verses airbrush.

Thanks for the kick up the a*se, just what was needed

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

This is going to be touch and go to finish this, photos below but 4 kids to go to school tomorrow and the hunt is on for uniforms, books bags etc which have all disappeared over the break mysteriously !

imagejpg1_zpsd49de01d.jpg

imagejpg3_zps80c66653.jpg

imagejpg2_zps3f5f49bf.jpg

Note modified nose wheel !

imagejpg4_zps65358c97.jpg

First coat of polished metal enamel paint, on the window sill to dry

More later...... I hope

• Like 3

Hi everyone

Epic failure I'm afraid, left it too late to start and then too much to do at the end, finally realised it wasn't going to happen when I superglued my fingers to the front wheel of the undercarriage, net result broken front suspension and a few layers of skin less.

The masking wasn't the best either, the canopy looks like I've done it by hand and then finally as if I hadn't got the message, I tried to apply the cockpit instruments decal, only for it to slip down under the pilot never to be seen again !

So enoughs enough, photos of current shambles below, I will finish it so it doesn't join the shelf of doom, but not tonight....

Cheers Pat

imagejpg2_zps2841967a.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsd1c50117.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsada2d66d.jpg

imagejpg5_zpsb82b12ba.jpg

imagejpg6_zps226bdfa8.jpg

Congratulations to all those that finished

• Like 3

Hi mate

I was hoping you were going to put me to shame and finish it with flying colours.

Let's put them in the aircraft section " work in progress" and we can make sure each other finish. Now we have got them this far.

Are you doing any other GBs so we can get our collective act together next time ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

You and Rob definitely added some excitement! It's looking good - another vote for adding them to KUTA.

If you thought that was exciting, you need to get out more! ;)

Mine will end up on either KUTA or as a WiP, I guess. Although seeing as I'm doing single seat jet fighters ATM, I have another KUTA candidate to put up for that...

• Like 1

Hi mate

I was hoping you were going to put me to shame and finish it with flying colours.

Let's put them in the aircraft section " work in progress" and we can make sure each other finish. Now we have got them this far.

Are you doing any other GBs so we can get our collective act together next time ?

Cheers Pat

I would have made it if not for having to earn a crust, old bean. So, are we gonna WiP them, or KUTA them?

GBs, I'm in a few, and may I say, I'm not so certain... (sing it with me now...)

• Like 1

I would have made it if not for having to earn a crust, old bean. So, are we gonna WiP them, or KUTA them?

GBs, I'm in a few, and may I say, I'm not so certain... (sing it with me now...)

Let's start with the KUTA, and if we fail that one move to the WIP......

All together now...... "Always look on the bright side of life......"

• Like 2

Coming along nicely.

By the way in case I missed it in earlier replies. the silver plastic is the original Hasegawa and also appeared in the earlier orange box range by FROG. I know 'cos I built several all those years ago and only have one now refurbed by me as an F2A back in the late 1980's. The same plastic but different decals. The later FROG one true enough did appear in dark bluey grey plastic in the later style FROG box.

• Like 2

You've made good headway with this one Pat and will soon have a great Lightning to show for your efforts. Now relax and enjoy finishing it.

Glad to see you have decals for it as well - was that the Hannants sheet?

• Like 1

A thought about the fin issue. What you could do, if not too late, is to file the fin edge where it is supposed to line up with and touch the spine end to the correct angle and therefore reduce the amount of filler and save you from too much hard work!

You've made good headway with this one Pat and will soon have a great Lightning to show for your efforts. Now relax and enjoy finishing it.

Glad to see you have decals for it as well - was that the Hannants sheet?

Hi Col

Thanks for the encouragement, look for it to appear in the KUTA

They are the ones from Hannants, blooming Post Office. What's the betting your turn up as I finish it !

A thought about the fin issue. What you could do, if not too late, is to file the fin edge where it is supposed to line up with and touch the spine end to the correct angle and therefore reduce the amount of filler and save you from too much hard work!

Thanks Paul, I'm really unsure about the fin, I've filled and sanded it and it's painted, I'm not sure how it will turn out with the fin decals. It might cover everything or I might need a wee paint job to join the 2. My fear is redoing the fin and making things worse not better, which was very much the case last night as you may have gathered.

If it doesn't work I promise to give you all the credit for trying to persuade me and you have full " I told him so" bragging rights !

Cheers Pat

I forgot to add that if you leave it as you show in the photo, I feel the top edge of the fin may slope downwards to the front and that would not be right. Also the base line of the fin and angle would look a bit odd. Hope I,m being helpful.

• Like 1

I forgot to add that if you leave it as you show in the photo, I feel the top edge of the fin may slope downwards to the front and that would not be right. Also the base line of the fin and angle would look a bit odd. Hope I,m being helpful.

Absolutely, I'll try to remove and reset the fin, it will save so much grief later on, and as you rightly say if it does look right afterwards it's going to undo all the other work.

I'll move the across to the KUTA GB, and hopefully Rob and I can get these 2 across the line !

Thanks again Pat

• Like 1

Absolutely, I'll try to remove and reset the fin, it will save so much grief later on, and as you rightly say if it does look right afterwards it's going to undo all the other work.

I'll move the across to the KUTA GB, and hopefully Rob and I can get these 2 across the line !

Thanks again Pat

Pat

If you use some masking tape on the areas that you have already painted it will help to protect them and reduce the amount of repair work you have to do when you replace the fin.

HTH

• Like 1

Pat

If you use some masking tape on the areas that you have already painted it will help to protect them and reduce the amount of repair work you have to do when you replace the fin.

HTH

Thanks very much, all help greatly appreciated !

Cheers Pat

Hi Rob

Sorry mate I have been flat out restoring power supplies after all the storms in Scotland. I will follow your lead and pop the lightning into the KUTA.

Then we nag each other to finish them !

Cheers Pat