Mystery lighting proving a challenge !

Hi Everyone

The recent unearthing of this kit, offers the chance for me to be a very late comer to this group build.

However I need some help, the kit is bagged appears to be complete but has no instructions or decals, can one of you with more knowledge of Lightnings help me identify it so I can put a request in the wanted section for instructions painting guide and decals for it.

Photos below, thanks in advance for any assistance.

Cheers Pat

imagejpg1_zps0218cfd6.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsa1a9fbc4.jpg

imagejpg2_zps7c8c1abd.jpg

imagejpg1_zps82cc0bb5.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks very much guys.

Having had a look at colour schemes I fancy the F3 56 Squadron red and white checks tail fin colour scheme. As someone's used to doing WW2 stuff the bright colours make a very pleasant change. £4 from a hannants seems good, although the temptation to add to the order will be very difficult, unless the wanted section produces results.

As I have been stupid enough to try to also do the BF110 GB and the Bomber Command GB, this one will definitely be OOB !

Voting so far :

Frog 2

Hasegawa / Revell 3

Airfix

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Col

Yes it is MD056 according to hannants, I will PM you, I have so much to learn about Lightnings !

Cheers Pat

Sure I have that sheet for the Hunter T8c option. If so the Lightning part is yours.

• Like 1

Definitely Hasegawa kit. The FROG one also appeared with exactly the same kind of tooling and silver plastic in the Orange series of the early 1970s. I know because I built a few in the past from this range.! FROG boxed quite a few Hasegawa kits in their own boxes. A few got retooled slightly to the FROG dark blue grey plastic. They were the Lightning, Phantom and a couple others.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul

I have seen one of the Blue plastic frog versions in as you say the orange series box, but my one looked different, so I thought I had better ask some grown ups !

No excuses now I need to build it.......

Cheers Pat

Parts match sprue maps on Hasegawa and Revell instructions.

I've just emailed Pat with photos of both those sets of instructions, so he can go ahead with his build.

I also included the colour callouts, so he can paint the details.

Looks like his overall finish will be an aftermarket NMF scheme.

Best of luck - keep up with the photos.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul

I have seen one of the Blue plastic frog versions in as you say the orange series box, but my one looked different, so I thought I had better ask some grown ups !

No excuses now I need to build it.......

Cheers Pat

Grown ups? You're in the wrong place pat lol

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Christmas everyone !

For those of you that thought this build was never going to happen, myself included yesterday offered the opportunity to sneak an hours construction in. Now before everyone gets very excited about modelling on Christmas Day, I left the family fast asleep in front of the telly all having eaten far too much, with a film on for background noise, and sneaked into the other room.

Progress photos attached, such was my desire to crack on with the build that a few compromises have had to be made if I hope to reach the GB deadline.

For example, the observant of you will have noticed some parts missing from the kit, namely the cockpit floor, dashboard and control column. In an ideal world given time and being at home I would have made replacements, however we are away at the sister-in-laws so its mend and make do !

Photos of progress attached, I forgot to take a picture of the nose-weight before I closed up, but it's nuts and screws found in the kitchen draw, with copious Superglue, hopefully enough !

imagejpg1_zps08dd85ba.jpg

imagejpg2_zps9e33b300.jpg

More progress today hopefully, decals have been ordered from Hannants after Cols ones were a victim of the Christmas post, it's going to be touch and go but we all like a challenge don't we !

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I managed to pull the same trick yesterday as Christmas Day, but what I saw wasn't encouraging, bit too much speed at the expense of quality.

imagejpg1_zps495ae708.jpg

Fortunately I brought the putty through with me but for goodness sake how could I not have see it wasn't fitting by that much. On a positive not the Pilot has had his paint job, not sure if the colours are kosher but beggars can't be choosers !

imagejpg2_zpsf8bddb23.jpg

Cheers Pat

• Like 5