An apology to the Bf110

Way back in the dim and distant past, when I woz but a lad, I sadly insulted the Bf110.

On the run up to the school Christmas party, the ones who would be leaving to go to secondary school the next summer were allowed to choose what presents they got from Father Christmas. Most of the boys asked for "Airfixes".

The Christmas party duly arrived and so did Father Christmas. We all got our presents. I tore mine open and was somewhat disappointed. It was the Airfix Bf110. The big problem was that the boxart was boring! True, the aircraft was involved in a dogfight with Hurricanes... but.. well... it didn't inspire me. These were the days when Airfix thought that German aircraft had a single colour uppersurface scheme and that really didn't look like it would be interesting to paint. Ah well..

130408-10189.jpg?nr=02006&company=airfix

Chris, my best mate, had also got an Airfix and was also disappointed. He had the Grumman Duck. It was a biplane. That's not very fast. Not as fast as mine! I looked at the Duck and was as envious of it as Chris was of my Messerschmitt. And when I said "This is rubbish!" he suggested we swap.

So I ended up with a Grumman Duck, which was a lot of fun to build and paint and he got the rubbish Messerschmitt.

And now, forty-odd years later, I think it is time for me to apologise to the Bf110. In all that time I have never built one, so now is the time.

My original intention was to build a Bf110 from 14/LG1 in the early war scheme. The one that Airfix used to think was just a single shade of green but is in fact a rather smart two-tone green. The kit was to be the 1/72 Eduard Bf110C Profipack.

So I started building the kit. It simply fell together and was really enjoyable so I thought "why not build two?" I know... that the slippery slope that leads to me building five in one GB!!! :mental:

But I started a second, using the Weekend version of the same kit. And I changed my mind about the colour schemes. Instead I will be building two aircraft flown by Wolfgang Falck.

Bf110C, 2./ZG76 in the early war scheme

BF110E, NJG 1 in an overall black night fighter scheme. Falck was heavily involved in formulating tactics for the Luftwaffe night fighter fleet and this was one of the aircraft used before radar was fitted.

Here are the kits I will be using.

001.jpg

Rather than photograph the sprues, can I direct you to Woody's excellent review here.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234930519-messerschmitt-bf110cd-profipack-172-eduard/

Hold on tight, rider! :D

• Like 3

Hello Enzo, what a brilliant introduction.....but never built a Bf110! Shame, so now IS the time to make amends, glad you're doing two - you could rival Stew with his prodigious output. The rest of us just stumble along. :)

Max

• Like 1

Lol, great introduction Enzo, PMSL, worse thing is, as overgrown balding children, we still spend our money weakened by a good box art!!!

I end up buying Matchbox kits knowing the kit is rubbish, but can't resist the box it comes in!

• Like 1

Good choice ! Eduard small Zerstörer are nice kit....

Indeed they are! And here's why...

The airframe is just clipped together! The wing uppersurfaces are glues to the one piece lowersurface part, but everything else is clipped in place without using tape. The kit is beautifully engineered. The tailplanes hold the fuselage halves together and the nacelles are held in place by deep groove on the wing undersurfaces. It all fits together perfectly.

002.jpg

This is the cockpit. I pilot's seat was stolen by the carpet monster so I replaced it with a Quickboost Bf109E seat. The rest is straight from the kit.

003.jpg

Both kits assembled with the canopies masked. Ready for priming.

004.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Both models primed and ready for painting. I have already sprayed the yellow band on the NJG1 aircraft. I have never found a yellow acrylic which can provide a decent depth of colour so I sprayed an undercoat from a rattle can and oversprayed it with Xtracrylix XA1213 RLM 04 Gelb.

005.jpg

The ZG76 aircraft with the base coat of RLM 71 sprayed on and masked ready for the RLM 70. There is a bit of a problem though. I usually used Lifecolor paints for early-war Luftwaffe schemes. This particular scheme was designed to be very low c-ntrast, which led Airfix to believe that this aircraft should have had a single shade of green up top. Because of that, if I use the Lifecolor shades, the contrast is incredibly low - so much so that when it is all varnished up, the contrast almost disappears.

In order to get away from that, I substitute the RLM 71 colour for something slightly lighter to improve the contrast. Hey... it's 1/72 scale... scale colour, yannow! ;)

In this case I am using Xtracrylix XA1001 RAF Dark Green! You can see how the contrast looks on the tailplane.

006.jpg

007.jpg

• Like 2

Agreed yellow is a real problem colour with acrylics. For its depth I think Xtracylics trainer yellow is probably the best but I never get on well with it, even thinned it clogs my airbrush. My 110E is also an NJG1 aircraft, a nightfighter finished in black with a yellow band on the aft fuselage so I've got a similar priming and painting problem.

Max

• Like 1

very nice, has there ever been a GB in which you only built one??

I agree with your idea to change to the colour to add a slight contrast, in bigger scales you would have been ok to have limited contrast, the size give the contrast. In smaller scales "colour scale" does change quite a bit and you need that contrast.

For the yellow you really have to have a white base coat for it to have any chance to "pop", the same goes for any of the "bright" colours.

great job, you've gotten a nice finish.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have to admit that I have thoroughly enjoyed this GB and now I want to build more Bf110s. I shall definitely be building another in the Battle of Britain GB later this year. I also want one in the three grey scheme with that huge wasp on the nose.

• 2 weeks later...

Enzo ,are you sure your photos should not be put up today before 23.59 . I may well be wrong but its worth a check just in case.

Phew! You had me going there! :lol: The GB finishes on 1 Feb, so I have tomorrow to take photos and post 'em. Or is it 1 Feb where you are?