Celia Cumani Aintree

Bengalensis

Sorry to hear the paint troubles. Sometimes you just get a bad batch. I just threw away a brand new tin of Humbrol Matt black because it wasn't matt, it was very shiny, and it never dried. Seems like your new Alcad bottle was a dud. Hopefully a new bottle will be back to the same formula and consistency of your old bottles. Otherwise, this figure is really coming together well. I often think about trying one of these, but my skill level for figures is nil. So, I will just live vicariously through your excellent build and talent. Awaiting your next installment with anxious anticipation.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It was the only option; do it again and do it right.

G-usa; try one, it's very rewarding to do different things. I didn't have any figure painting skills when I started, I just knew I wanted to paint these figures and it just goes from there.

Here we are now, much more like it. A bit more bright than what I aimed for, but on the other hand very much like I thought about it when I first bought the kit. Now I can continue in better mood.

CCA28.jpg

• Like 5

Today has seen a little more progress. Here's the finished (I think) cape after a flat cote.

CCA29.jpg

The purple colours are done and the base for the red/brown, there's more work to be done here. The gold trim was hand painted with Tamiya TS-21 Gold that I had left over decanted in a jar since the Golden Arrow build. It brushed surprisingly smooth and easy. There's a lot of black washing work left to do as well.

CCA30.jpg

CCA31.jpg

The hair is just a base colour so far, it will need shadows introduced next. The skirt and the plumage for the helmet are pretty much done, waiting for a satin (I think) clear coat.

CCA32.jpg

• Like 5

Well done for being brave and starting over on the steel, it was the right thing to do but it still takes commitment to actually do it. She is coming together really nicely.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot. It's basically always worth the trouble to go back and redo something like that, it's just hard to remember when you're up against it.

Today have seen further progress. I finished the brown parts and painted her underwear.

CCA33.jpg

I also finished her hair with two different shadows.

CCA34.jpg

The hem line painting on the skirt needed refining when given a second look, it's a bit sharper now.

CCA35.jpg

Then I finished her face ready for a coat of flat clear, here test fitted with the hair pieces. The eyes are the kit supplied decals with a white dot added.

CCA36.jpg

Then I spent some time with thin black paint to pick out all details a bit more. It took some patience but was well worth it.

CCA37.jpg

I then did some clear coat spraying on the coloured parts and suddenly ran out of work. I think the parts are all painted now and ready for assembly.

CCA38.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks a lot Sean. A bit of assembly started tonight. With a bit of luck it should be straight forward from now. There are lovely details on the back; it's quite a pity to hide it behind that cape.

CCA39.jpg

I had expected more trouble when fitting the front and knee flaps as they look a bit fragile, but it seems OK.

CCA40.jpg

She is starting to shape up better than her actual shape!! You work wonders with these figures, I always am amazed at the subtle tones and textures you get in the clothing and skin variations. Look forward to her next installment.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot George. I think it might look more advanced or difficult than it is with that painting; I still have a long way to go to really master that art. I may repeat myself from another thread; but I'm still more of an engineer than an artist (albeit I might be more passionate/open for some subjects/genres/directions than many traditional engineers are) so if I could learn this a lot of you can.

Well, after some good food and wine I found myself back at the bench, so I won't keep you waiting too long. I glued her cape on and when that was cured her head and left arm soon followed.

CCA41.jpg

CCA42.jpg

It was difficult to get a perfectly accurate dry fitting of the helmet and right arm before committing to glue, but it felt safe enough to try. Fist I have to fit the helmet with plumage to the arm, or it won't fit in at all.

CCA43.jpg

CCA44.jpg

Luck is with me, the right arm fits as it should.

CCA45.jpg

The shoulder and elbow armour pieces is a tight fit. The left elbow piece works fine but I have to trim the mounting tab for the shoulder piece to squeeze it in under her hair.

CCA46.jpg

The story is the same for her right arm. A little trimming of the shoulder tab and all is fine, but the fit of the elbow piece is ridiculously tight. In the end I managed to wriggle it in place somehow.

CCA47.jpg

There might be some minor touch up to do, but that will be for tomorrow. On the whole though, I think I'm done now.

CCA48.jpg

• Like 4

another rubbish piece, I don't know why you bother.

seriously though I really admire your cross discipline skills, I too am an engineer and the "artistic aspects" don't come easy do they? However I believe I have discovered the secret of your success, fine wine = fine models!!!. I had noticed you mentioned good wine & food in a couple of your posts & also the odd glass of wine lurking in the background of a few of your wip photos, ergo get loose before & during a modelling sesh, brilliant. I'm definitely going to follow your lead from now on!!!

• Like 2

Thanks guys. You're absolutely right; the artistic aspects don't come as easy as the engineering. I have to reach deeper for them both with painting things "life like" and also when it comes to weathering. I've been getting better at it over the last few years as I decided to try working in that direction, but I have a long way yet. It's very rewarding though. You're also very correct that a glass of good wine makes everything in life easier and more enjoyable... ;)

I have placed a few better pictures in the RFI-section, I hope you will enjoy them.

She looks great. And I stand firm on my contention your skills are way above average. I shall take the plunge this upcoming new year and do a figure. Just be gentle and expect lots of questions! She is beautiful, simply beautiful.

• Like 1

As anticipated, this build thread has not let me down. Thanks again for sharing it Jorgen, you are an inspiration! :thumbsup:

Brian

• Like 1

I spent the better part of the evening cleaning up the arms and associated parts, time consuming but without problems otherwise. But she's so far the most uncooperative figure I've worked with when it comes to doing some dry fitting and mocking up with blue tac. Everything kept falling apart when the last bit would go on, so it wasn't easy to get a good look and some pictures. It will look more natural when her head and hair goes on.

CCA12.jpg

CCA13.jpg

I also tried the part for the option holding the lance. It ended up 31 cm long, not 25, but this option doesn't quite work for me.

CCA14.jpg

You could always adopt the idea of mediaeval knights. When fighting on foot some had their lances shortened for better handling.

• Like 1

Great job as usual, Jörgen, despite the trouble with Alclad's. Can I ask you if you sprayed the clear coat on them as well? And what kind of clear varnish did you use?

Happy new year

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for all kind praise guys.

No clear coat for me on the Alclad's. Otherwise for my figures and similar I use acrylic water based clear for both gloss, semi and flat, a Swedish brand called Oceanlack.

http://www.pandurohobby.se/Katalog/20-Mala-Rita/2080-Lack/208005-Skyddslack/1/244356-Oceanlack-blank-50-ml

http://www.pandurohobby.se/Katalog/20-Mala-Rita/2080-Lack/208005-Skyddslack/1/244353-Oceanlack-halvblank-50-ml

http://www.pandurohobby.se/Katalog/20-Mala-Rita/2080-Lack/208005-Skyddslack/1/244350-Oceanlack-helmatt-50-ml

I'm sure there are similar products in the UK in art stores or some such.

For things like my car body shells I always use automotive 2K clear, sometimes with a little matting agent.