Fokker D.VII (Alb) - 1:32 Wingnut Wings.

Fokker D.VII (Alb)

1:32 Wingnut Wings.

Degelow5.jpg

The Fokker D.VII was the most succesful German single seat fighter of the Great war. Such was the demand for it that not only was it built by Fokker, but also Ostdeutsche Albatros Werke and Albatros, hence the suffix (Fok), (OAW) and (Alb) often used to denote the manufacturer of a particular airframe. In fact Albatros produced more D.VII's tha Fokker themselves, and to a better standard of quality.

One of the things I like about aviation modelling is not just the aircrfat themselves, but also the people who maintained and flew them. The Great War is full of personalities, and Carl Degelow is a shining example. He was a 30 victory ace, and the last winner of the 'Pour le Merit', commonly known as the Blue Max. By all accounts he was a chivalrous 'knight of the air', and served with honour and distinction. I can thoroughly reccommend the book 'Black Fokker leader' written by Degelow and translated/edited by Peter Kilduff.
Degelow survived the war, and was later jailed for a few days for refusing to give the Nazi salute! He served in the Luftwaffe in World War 2, and died in Hamburg in 1970.

The Wingnut Wings kit is superb, I have now built all 3 (the Fokker, OAW, & Albatros versions), and throughly enjoyed all of them. Original review of all 3 here

Hers is the latest, Carl Degelows 'White Stag' ;

With cowling panels fitted;

Degelow1.jpg

Degelow2.jpg

Degelow3.jpg

Degelow4.jpg

Cowling panels detached;

Degelow6.jpg

Degelow7.jpg

Degelow8.jpg

Degelow9.jpg

Degelow10.jpg

Read the book, build the model!

Degelow11.jpg

[edit for a late addition] All 3 Wingnut Wings together. Left to Right, Willi Gabriels (Fok), 'Sieben Schwaben' (OAW), and Carl Degelow (Alb).

Degelow12.jpg

Degelow13.jpg

Not easy to photograph together![/edit]

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 21

Thank you for all the comments guys.

Tremendous job John ! Could you tell me who produced the figures... excellent !

BillyD

Billy, the taller figure is from model design construction, part of the 1:32nd 'Wings cockpit' series.

The other short guy came in an Encore boxing of the Roden Fokker Triplane, and is meant to be Werner Voss.

Neil, I did the same shading effect over the black areas, which looked nice and subtle. So subtle it disappeared when I applied varnish! It is still faintly visible in real life, but not at all in the photos.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

You chaps keep doing these lovely Wingnut kits.. Stop it will you! I can't afford to get interested in doing these!! :banghead:

But by gum you've done a great job on that. All round wonderfulness, and I have to agree with Russ, the engine looks extra special.

Thanks for sharing this! :speak_cool:

• 1 year later...

Absolute brilliant job! You made a perfect scene!  Everything Is superb . Museumsquality!  I believe that it was not easy to photograph them all together! 

All the best 

Andy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gene K said:

John,

Hope you're still monitoring this older thread since I'd like to ask where you got the Schwaben decals.?

Beautiful builds!

Gene K

Hello Gene,

They are produced by Wingnut Wings themselves, Scroll down in this review, it is in the last set.

So many choices!

Cheers

John

Gorgeous DVII, John -

In addition, very nicely set off of your little dio and figures.  I'm guessing you've had this one in your stash for a while?

Regards

Dave

On 12/4/2016 at 10:32 AM, Viking said:

[The Schwaben decals]  are produced by Wingnut Wings themselves ... .

Thanks very much for the link, John, and for the outstanding reviews!!

Unfortunately that decal set is Sold Out on the new WNW ordering site.

Gene K

(who needs to pay more attention)

Edited by Gene K

Thrilled to see this beautiful build as just yesterday I finished reading "Black Fokker Leader"

Degelow sounds like quite a character and your model is a fitting tribute to the man.

Cheers

Tania