1/48 Eduard (Airfix) Spitfire Mk 22 No 607(County of Durham Sqn

Calum

Quick build for me, only 4 weeks from beginning to end. I really enjoyed building this and not being to anal about the finish.

This is probably the best Airfix kit I've built. The moulding and fit is better than all of the Hasegawa kits I've built (perhaps bar the F-2A).

I kept weathering to a minimum to keep the build process short.

Aircraft is from No 607(County of Durham) Sqn RauxAF Cooper Trophy Air Race 1948

The Details

Kit: Eduard Boxing of the Airfix Kit

Aftermarket: Aires Cockpit, Exhausts and Eduard PE (came in the box).

Squadron Vacuform Canopy (for a Seafire Mk 47, but it looks close enough to me ).

Barracuda Cast Rocker covers spinner and prop blades,

Quickboost exhausts

Decals: From the box but Cartograf printed

Paint: Mr colour Lacquers

Wash: Oils

Clear Coats: Testors Gloss, and Dullcoate

Weathering: Pastels, Tamiya Weathering seats and Pigments

Antenna: Broom bristle

If you're interested in some build photos there are some on my facebook page (link below)

Spitfire-Mk-22-23.jpg

Spitfire-Mk-22-31.jpg

Spitfire-Mk-22-37.jpg

Spitfire-Mk-22-39.jpg

Spitfire-Mk-22-43.jpg

Spitfire-Mk-22-47.jpg

Spitfire-Mk-22-49.jpg

Spitfire-Mk-22-55.jpg

Spitfire-Mk-22-59.jpg

Spitfire-Mk-22-63.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 18

Overall the model looks good, cant help but notice the main legs are on the wrong way around? the linkages should go to the rear and they don't seem to splay enough?

Julien

• Like 1

Very nicely done. Lovely paintwork.

On the scissor link question, I always thought that the late Spit's and Seafire's the link faced rearward. Agree about the gear angle, should be splayed a bit more. This is a very noticeable characteristic of the aircraft. To be fair, the installation of the gear legs on the Airfix kit is a little difficult.

Steve.

Very nicely done. Lovely paintwork.

On the scissor link question, I always thought that the late Spit's and Seafire's the link faced rearward. Agree about the gear angle, should be splayed a bit more. This is a very noticeable characteristic of the aircraft. To be fair, the installation of the gear legs on the Airfix kit is a little difficult.

Steve.

The instructions from Eduard show them to the rear, and pics I have looked at while not 100% clear don't show them this prominent on the 22/24.

Julien

• Like 1

Overall the model looks good, cant help but notice the main legs are on the wrong way around? the linkages should go to the rear and they don't seem to splay enough?

Julien

Hi Julien

Can't blame me for that, the scissor links are as per the instructions I ahve, they clearly show them facing forward (the guns are in the same image so it's pretty hard to misinterpret that : D )

Edit: the online set of instructions on the Eduard are different from the printed set. They have obviously fixed that error on the pdf copy on their web site

Edit 2 : I've fixed the legs

Edited by Calum

• 3 weeks later...