Beaufighter TT10

Selwyn

When the TFX beaus were converted to TT10 standard did any retain the thimble nose? I have it in the back of my mind that I have seen a picture of one so fitted somewhere, I realise that this radome would now be redundant, but I assume it would have been seen as extra unnecessary cost to replace it with a standard nose on conversion.

Can any one confirm?

Selwyn

The one in the photo above, and a couple of others in photos I've found do seem to have had a nose job. I've not seen any with radomes but the only description of the conversion I've found is in the Crowood book and that doesn't mention anything about the radome.

I'm sure I can find you a short nose to graft on, if not the Hasegawa part (I've done a thimble one) then a whole Airfix fuselage. PM me an address if you want one,

Ross

Hi Selwyn,

Just had a glance through,

Evans, D., 2004, The Long Drag, A Short History of British Target Towing, Flight Recorder Publications, Ottringham, Greta Britain, ISBN 0 9545605 4 X, pp. 68.

There is one picture of a TT.10, RD 821, (P. 51), showing the standard nose and nothing mentioned about thimble noses. However, with this caption the text mentions that the RAAF carried out a similar conversion on some of its Beaufighters. Although IIRC the RAAF did not have the thimble nose, the did have the bulged Sperry nose. Could this be a source of conflict/confusion?

Also had a quick look through,

Franks, R.A., 2002, The Bristol Beaufighter, A Comprehensive Guide For The Modeller, Modellers Datafile 6, SAM Publications, Bedford United Kingdom, ISBN 0 9533465 5 2, pp. 175.

There are several photographs and copies of the relevant servicing manual, but all show the normal nose.

HTH!

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

• Like 1

I'm sure I can find you a short nose to graft on, if not the Hasegawa part (I've done a thimble one) then a whole Airfix fuselage. PM me an address if you want one,

Ross

Just made a mould for the nose using my airfix kit as a master, will be pouring some resin (perhaps tonight?) and see what comes out! if it looks ok it will find itself attached to the nose of the matchbox kit.

I'm also using the power eggs off a scrap Stirling to the replace the kit "cones."

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...

I found a picture of a TT10 with a thimble nose (SR915) in an old copy of Planes magazine (issue 8). It has a target towing pod under the fuselage and slightly non standard markings with c type roundels under the wings and the serial is white where it overlaps the black stripes. The caption says that some TT10s had their target towing gear replaced with a pod but I can’t find any other pictures of that or an aircraft with the thimble nose. All the other TT10s around that serial have the short nose.

• Like 1

SR915 was a TF10 used at the RAE, but used to test the ML target pod that was later used on the Tempest, hence why it had the pod. The pod wasn't adopted for the Beaufighter

When looking for other pictures, I found  one of RD850 in this scan from Flypast (p93, p4 of the PDF)- not sure if that's a standard or thimble nose?

https://www.jets-are-for-kids.ch/pdf/bristol_beaufighter_target-tug_FlyPast_01-2019.pdf

Also here

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Aircraft-Royal-Air-Force-1918-Thetford/30178449795/bd#&gid=1&pid=5

Edited by Dave Fleming

Thanks Dave. That’s really interesting about SR915. The caption says that some TT10s had their target towing gear replaced by the pod - obviously not! Unfortunately I can’t find any more photos of the aircraft.

I’d looked at that picture of RD850 too. I think it is the standard nose but looks strange with the line round it.