FJ-4B Aim-12 Bullpup Control Pod (HobbyBoss 1/48)

dhdove

Hi all

I'm currently on with this build, but want to scratch build or otherwise replicate the Bullpup guidance pod.

I'm finding any sources very limited and really don't have much idea re size or shape.....

...can anyone help please?

Best

TonyS

John

That's great!

Superb pics.

Interestingly I've just been looking at the Hasegawa Weapons Kit B shown nicely here....

http://www.andysmodels.me.uk/models/HS_Weapons_48.htm

This includes four Aim12's but no pod......weird. It was not possible to launch these weapons without the pod, why are manufacturers ignorant of this?

TonyS

This includes four Aim12's but no pod......weird. It was not possible to launch these weapons without the pod, why are manufacturers ignorant of this?

TonyS

I have never seen a picture of any Bullpup-carrying AF fighter or attack aircraft that needed a pod to launch them. They probably had the needed electronics installed in the plane.

Larry

... Hasegawa Weapons Kit B... This includes four Aim12's but no pod......weird. It was not possible to launch these weapons without the pod, why are manufacturers ignorant of this?

TonyS

Tony, it absolutely was possible to launch the AGM-12 Bullpup without the radio guidance pod. The AGM-12 was used with limited success in Vietnam by a plethora of aircraft, even some specially modified helicopters. The radio guidance hardware could be installed within the airframes of a given aircraft.

This rather poor photograph of an operational A-4C Skyhawk (I think it's an A-4C), it shows x2 AGM-45 Shrike, x2 AGM-12 Bullpup missiles and a centreline drop-tank, no guidance pod... Another photo showing an A-4F Skyhawk launching one...

There is no ignorance with regards to the contents of the Hasegawa weapons set (and others), it's more that Hobby Boss should have tooled the radio guidance pod themselves for their FJ-4 kit... :doh:

My apologies, I didn't express myself clearly.

I believe that a conscious decision was made specifically with the FJ-4B Fury NOT to instal the Bullpup guidance equipment inside the fuselage because of the excessive weight in what was after all a fighter aircraft, which it would have to carry at all times on all mission profiles. I don't know if available space within the airframe also played a part in this.

Consequently the FJ-4B had the guidance pod fitted underwing for AGM-12 ground attack missions allowing the missile to be guided onto it's target but also for the guidance pod to be removed for other mission profiles.

Here's one source.....

"The FJ-4B was equipped to deliver the Martin ASM-N-7 Bullpup air-to-surface guided missile. The Bullpup was an eleven-foot long missile driven by an Aerojet General solid rocket motor. Total weight of the missile was 571 pounds and it was equipped with a 250-pound high explosive warhead. Maximum speed of the Bullpup was about Mach 1.7 and its effective range was in excess of four miles. Up to five Bullpups could be carried underwing on the FJ-4B, with the starboard inner station (#4) carrying a guidance transmitter pod. The Bullpup was redesignated AGM-12B in 1962."

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p86_24.html

Some other aircraft did carry the equipment internally, so the Weapons Set B is OK for them. If Hasegawa wasn't making a Fury there would be no need for it for it to accompany their kits.

Yes, I agree completely, it's HobbyBoss's mistake not to include the pod!

And of course, my mistake! AGM-12 not AIM-12, please forgive that one! I don't think it was ever employed as an airborne interceptor missile, but then, who knows.......maybe it was!!!

In other news the AMS resin guidance pod is back in production this week (yay!) and will be available at the weekend, my order has already gone in! I've just started painting the airframe so dependent upon the transatlantic Xmas post hopefully it will all come together before Xmas.

Thanks so much for your input, it is appreciated.

Sorry if I was a bit vague.

Best Regards

TonyS

Edited by dhdove
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help, here's the pod attached to the completed aircraft.....fins are scratch built from plasticard using an enclosed template.

aac65f4e1e2cac50ca3decb53fd1333a.jpg

More in "ready for inspection"

TonyS

Edited by dhdove
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

This rather poor photograph of an operational A-4C Skyhawk (I think it's an A-4C), it shows x2 AGM-45 Shrike, x2 AGM-12 Bullpup missiles and a centreline drop-tank, no guidance pod...

It's an A-4E; the C model only had a single pylon under each wing.

Regards,

murph

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 11/29/2014 at 3:47 AM, canberra kid said:

Tony I don't know if this helps any? Two drawings from the Sea Vixen AP of the Bull Pup pod

BPpod1_zps03f57598.jpg

BPpob2_zps9e299a3d.jpg

John

John, do you have anything showing the profile and/or dimensions of this pod, please?

David

8 hours ago, David Womby said:

John, do you have anything showing the profile and/or dimensions of this pod, please?

David

Hi David 

I don't think it has anything but I'll look. I think the Phantom and Buccaneer AP's have Bull Pup info I'll have a look.

John

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 3:34 AM, canberra kid said:

Hi David 

I don't think it has anything but I'll look. I think the Phantom and Buccaneer AP's have Bull Pup info I'll have a look.

John

John,

Sorry to bother you but do you have pages showing how the Bullpup was fitted to the Sea Vixen pylon?  Was there an added launch rail?

David

2 hours ago, David Womby said:

John,

Sorry to bother you but do you have pages showing how the Bullpup was fitted to the Sea Vixen pylon?  Was there an added launch rail?

David

No problems David, this is all ld find in the IPC, I hope it helps?

lHf4xP.jpg

lHfR25.jpg

John

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scimitar F1 said:

If you can find one the Pod is in the Grand Phoenix kit.

Will

Thanks but I'm doing 1/72 so I have scratch built a pod based on John's drawings and the Rareplanes Fury mould.

David

20 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

No problems David, this is all ld find in the IPC, I hope it helps?

lHf4xP.jpg

John

Thank you, John.  It doesn't seem much different from the standard pylon to me.

David

John,  I think the second diagram you found shows the pylon complete and the lowest part sits up, recessed, inside the bottom of the pylon.  Here's a pic I found of a Bullpup mounted. 

spacer.png

The pylon looks pretty standard, IMHO, but longer than the other two.  

David

17 minutes ago, David Womby said:

John,  I think the second diagram you found shows the pylon complete and the lowest part sits up, recessed, inside the bottom of the pylon.  Here's a pic I found of a Bullpup mounted. 

spacer.png

The pylon looks pretty standard, IMHO, but longer than the other two.  

David

Agreed David, this must be the adaptor added to the bottom of the pylon?

John

I suppose it must but the result looks very uniform.  No obvious place where the adapter and the main pylon join so I won't worry too much about it.  I'll just try to get the length and overall shape about right.

David