Spitfire XVIII in 1/72

Magua87

I recently bought some Xtradecals for my Academy 1/72 Spitfire XIV. I've bought another XIV, a Fujimi kit, but I've still got enough decals for two more kits. I'd like to build one of the XVIII aircraft on the sheet, but a quick google shows that I don't have many options (and ever fewer at my end of the world).

Two questions. Which kit builds the best XVIII in 1/72 scale? Secondly, can the Fujimi XIV be easily turned into an XVIII? According to Wiki the XVIII was "was identical in most respects including engine". Did the "revised, stronger wing structure" look any different externally?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_%28Griffon-powered_variants%29#Mk_XVIII_.28Mk_18.29_.28type_394.29

• Like 1

There are a few external differences between a low back XIV and a XVIII, the most visible of which is the larger rudder. Then there are a few differences in the panel lines on the wing (the XVIII had the E armament from the start so no panel line for the C armament) and the lower fuselage landing light is moved farther back. There are then the camera openings.

Apart from the rudder, all of the above can be easily introduced in the Fujimi Mk.XIV low back kit. Alternatively, AZ does a complete kit of the XVIII. This is a short run kit but not too hard to build really

Hope away, but with AZ and Ventura (now Jays?) specific kits available, and it being an easy conversion from a late Mk.XIV with available aftermarket, it isn't needed. Yes, I know these kits don't make any money for Airfix, but that's Airfix's problem not the modellers'.

Hope away, but with AZ and Ventura (now Jays?) specific kits available, and it being an easy conversion from a late Mk.XIV with available aftermarket, it isn't needed. Yes, I know these kits don't make any money for Airfix, but that's Airfix's problem not the modellers'.

Hi Graham

Time will tell my friend ..

The freightdog XVIII tail unit is top notch!

The only significant difference is the larger rudder (many Spitfire XIV's had the canera ports anyway). Thouh I never realised that the XVIII had no C wing panels :P

Ben

That makes two of us with regards to the wing panels