WHIF WIP... F-20 plus the parts box...

TME3

Ressurecting this one from the archives AND the shelf of doom....  I lost some of the original "in progress" pics during the "Photobucket  Scam," but did manage to recover most of them.  The starting point was a Hasegawa F-20....  The original starting point photo was one of those lost... so here's a photo of the seat just to fill in the gap... from a Revell AG F-16 with some spare pfotoetch belts...(little blurry....)  Should be finishing this one up soon....

DSCN1426-944.jpg

Edited by TME3
  • Like 3

A little more progress on this one.... I started with the Hasegawa kit, and am only using items and decals from my "spares box," and parts donated from kits of mine that "didn't make it" (and there are lots of them!). That includes most of the interior from an Eduard F-5E set. I fashioned a HUD from some unknown landing gear pieces. So far, the model has the nose from an Airfix Hawk T.2, tail from a Hobbyboss Rafale, and stabilizers modified from an Italeri F-16A. The gun port in the nose is from a Hasegawa F-104. Added to the underside are chaff/flare dispensers from an Eduard A-7 set. This is turning out to be alot more work than just building a kit out of a box! Enjoying it though...!

009.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Been making slow but steady progress on this one... I've dropped it twice now (as in onto the floor!). The first hit broke off the nose, which unfortunatly destroyed the gun port. So, it was faired over, and a twin cannon pack added to the underside in its place (donated by a Trumpy J-8 kit). The latest drop broke off the starboard intake, which after I found all the pieces, was reconstructed... and the port one modified to match. On the wings, I dropped the flaps, and ground off the overwing bulges and added two fences similar to the F-5F. A fairing for a refueling probe was made for the starboard side as well. It was primed prior to that second drop... so once I finish the intakes, and re-scribe some panels, it should be time for some paint.

DSCN0823_871.jpg

DSCN0819_867.jpg

DSCN0820_868.jpg

Edited by TME3
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've finally got around to the painting phase.... but not before I added more up to date missile rails the wingtips, IFF antennas ahead of the windscreen, and fashioned a better tailhook than the kit provided. Also, I decided to delete the IFR probe. Another condition I placed on this build, is that I can only use paints that I have that are already opened. So, here's the pre-shading with an open bottle of Testors flat black.... (I forgot to snap a photo before I moved onto the color application, so in this shot the bottom is already painted.)

DSCN0880_872.jpg

And here's the underside painted... with an open tin of Xtracolor Canadian Voodoo grey....

DSCN0881_873.jpg

Edited by TME3
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Its been a while since I managed any work worth sharing on this one... but the basic painting is mostly done now... I did some pre and post shading to give it a "used" look (which should show better once its flat coated), and painted details like the leading edges and antennas... but I'm still having trouble deciding what country will get her...!

DSCN0991_908.jpg

DSCN0990_907.jpg

DSCN0987_904.jpg

Edited by TME3
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I finally decided which air force will get my little fighter.... Fuerza Aérea Ecuatoriana (Ecuadorian Air Force). Decals are leftover from an Aztec sheet, and will mostly be from the Kfir and Gazelle helicopter markings on the sheet. Others will come from my spares collection. Slow progress for sure, and sorry for the fuzzy photo, but please stay tuned...

DSCN1057_911.jpg

Edited by TME3
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

A lot of time has passed on this one, and I haven't kept up on my updates. But, since my last post, I sealed the decals with Future, and used Flory Wash to accent the panel lines, and provide a mild weathering. Afterwards, a self-mixed overcoat of Humbrol clears produced a statin/flat finish. All that's left now is to attach all the bits, and it'll be done...!

DSCN1432-950.jpg

Edited by TME3
Photobucket!
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Serkan... One of these days I'll get some pics of the finished plane posted... Had shoulder surgery recently, so I'm not able to do much till I get this other arm fully functional again...!  But I just checked out your post... awesome work..!