What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

4 hours ago, Wez said:

We saw a Red Admiral a couple of weeks ago when we had beautiful weather at the weekend, me and the Wonderful Mrs Wez both remarked upon how early it was, hopefully it could find some sustenance, it had obviously been caught out by the unseasonable warm weather on that day.

This weekend I've been working in the garden (down to a t-shirt it was that warm), I saw a large yellow butterfly, is that a Brimstone or is it the wrong part of the year for them?  @RidgeRunner would know!

Very little in the way of other flying things I'm afraid.

More than likely a brimstone. They’re often the first butterflies around.

I thought I saw a Tipsy Trainer yesterday, the red one.

Today I saw our local barn owl.

4 hours ago, Wez said:

This weekend I've been working in the garden (down to a t-shirt it was that warm), I saw a large yellow butterfly, is that a Brimstone or is it the wrong part of the year for them?  @RidgeRunner would know!

Hi Wez! It may well have been a Brimstone - the harbinger of Spring. It is a little early for them, though. We’ve had a Red Admiral and I saw a Peacock last weekend at Wakehurst Place. I’m keen to get my home-made Robinson moth trap completed so that I’m ready for the first flights of moths in the Spring :). Last year, as you know, was good for me using the Skinner trap but this year should, in theory, bring much more :)

Martin 

@lasermonkey

• Like 1

On the aircraft front we are under the regular departure path from Mildenhall to the South Coast. As a result we are treated daily to QID R/KC-135s. we even had a WC-135 last week. Other recent overflights have included various C-130s (including an AC-130), many USN C-130Ts, etc. Something different a couple weeks Ago was a U-2S descending in to Fairford. :)

FC5C04A4-87B8-453F-9150-792F82E21F5F

79530E58-B027-4C55-BD71-4CC9F9052A90

Martin

• Like 3

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

Nah that lot up near Crewkerne who have Sea Kings and Lynx.....probably nearly as many a/c as the Fleet .... be funny if it wasnt so close to the truth

The Historic Helicopters Sea King was doing circuits at Westland on Tuesday too! 

• Like 1

French KC-130J '5890' arrived Mildenhall this morning after arrival over the South East. It is possibly there in connection with the MC-130J trips to Cazeaux last week

Quite literally 'Flying Over My House' awfully low at 1300 today  Eurocopter EC135T1 , G-SCAA , operated by Babcock Mission Critical Services from Scone Airfield in Perth on behalf of the Scottish Charity Air Ambulance which landed at the Links Health Centre in Montrose just across from my back gate.      Thought it was going to come down in the Car Park but chose the grass area just outside instead (normally used as a traditional but illegal camp site by travellers but empty today or that might have been fun).     Some photos taken not long after landing as the pilot waited for crew and casualty and then one from my back door as it departed around 1350.       

Police in attendance and quite happy for the public to be there , only asking that obviously no one take any photos which might show the casualty.     Then two Receptionists from the Health Centre came out , stood around for ten minutes blethering to each other before deciding to clear pedestrians using the public footpaths and roads either side of the Health Centre including those waiting at a bus stop for the bus that was due  . . . . .  NHS heroes in action . . . . . but in any case my cuppa soup was getting cold so I was heading off by then but did get a finger wagging when I paused briefly at my garden gate.

First aviation photographs in just a few days short of a year.

p?i=4d7f2ca613013b2e16dc592135b86bc8

p?i=deaa7a44f15ce907899f8b189238509d

p?i=0c1e4b9f72e0e871fff96084e7b3a632

p?i=4862c68ea3205e55ef2de0dbcf65e547

• Like 5

C17 westbound following the A303 ....good see RAF is in a good position for heavy logistics what with C17,A400M,Voyager and Hercules...dunno what the servicability is like🤔

Two filthy pingers over Redruth ...a bit later and what looked like the vert stab from a Jetstream in a Camborne industrial estate....only a quick look was negotiating a corner at the time anyone familiar with such a sight 😆

Edited by junglierating

A USCG C-130 Hercules followed in a few minutes by a USN P-3 Orion, odd to have 2 turbo props in a day of different services.

They are from Clearwater-St Pete U S Coast Guard  Air Station in Florida. A mile or so from my house.---John

8dBVvtu.jpg

OIFChxd.jpg

• Like 6