Jump to content

What's flying over your house? Thread #2


Recommended Posts

Air Tractor 802Fs water bombing a fire just up the road.

 

50786014227_f3359f612d_b.jpg

 

50786002397_4ab4feffe9_b.jpg

 

AW

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I just saw two Typhoons flying east to west high over the south Macclesfield area. They were leaving contrails, I estimate around 30,000 feet altitude. That’s about as good as it gets up here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

I just saw two Typhoons flying east to west high over the south Macclesfield area. They were leaving contrails, I estimate around 30,000 feet altitude. That’s about as good as it gets up here.

You’re not far from me then. 
 

Didn’t see these but I saw the Beluga over Whaley Bridge last week going out from Hawarden. It was already quite high but it was unmistakable. 
Must also admit that air traffic round here is pretty dull unless something vaguely interesting goes in to Manchester 

Edited by chrisrope
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I just saw two Typhoons flying east to west high over the south Macclesfield area. They were leaving contrails, I estimate around 30,000 feet altitude. That’s about as good as it gets up here.

So that's what they were. Thanks for that. Saw the trails but didn't have binos to hand and couldn't see anything on radarbox. Cheers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

An AS-332L Super Puma C-GVCS went over a couple hours ago. It's based with a B.C. company Coldstream. Don't know why it's why out in the prairies. It's history from helis.com says

"Helicopter Aerospatiale AS332L Super Puma Serial 2058 Register C-GVCS VH-LOF G-CDSV N171EH PT-HRM C-GSLA used by Coldstream Helicopters ,CHC Helicopters Australia ,CHC Scotia ,ERA Helicopters. Built 1982." c/n 2058.

First time I've seen one in person, just got a glance at it. Not as loud as I thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Things have got louder again here in Somerset now the Navy have returned from their holidays. All the usual Merlin's and Wildcats up again. 

 

A Puma also flew over following the low level route that follows a small hill ridge 1/4 mile S of my house, I haven't seen a puma in a while. 

 

The low level route is quite fantastic, clearly it is a well used route by the military as we often have Hercs, Merlin's, Wildcats and Chinooks flying over. A couple weeks ago a C17 flew over barely above 200ft. Last summer 2 Phenoms screamed over at 230 kts (according to flight radar).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

About ten minutes ago, in low cloud and heavy rain, a very low level Chinook heading East. We're ten miles North of Lincoln.

I was at Odiham when they were introduced to service. Still love the sound of them. My Wife was over the moon to hear one again.

And now, just after three, we have the sound of the Reds up and practicing a few miles South of us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drones. Too many drones (not my photos).

3dr-pix4d-agriculture-drone-sequoia-rice

 

Not quite over the house, but certainly over the farm and surrounding countryside and mountains (and roads and beaches and ports and farms and villages and rivers...). If it isn't every tourist in the universe flying them, it's the Bear Patrol (shades of the Simpsons).

 

Thank the gods more and more local governments are putting these up:

http://www.ericlafforgue.com/imagecache/large/japan/JAPAN17440.jpg

and

6-11.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend lives out in the country in a tiny subdivision of about 50 houses on decent sized lots. About five years ago his neighbor decided to fly one over his house continuously for about 2-3 days. He asked nicely but said neighbor ignored his requests to go elsewhere. So on the evening of third day my friend had enough and grabbed his 12. Gauge bird gun. Needless to say the drone didn't survive. Out in his parts the sheriff is along the lines of I didn't see it so it didn't happen. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

Drones. Too many drones (not my photos).

3dr-pix4d-agriculture-drone-sequoia-rice

 

Not quite over the house, but certainly over the farm and surrounding countryside and mountains (and roads and beaches and ports and farms and villages and rivers...). If it isn't every tourist in the universe flying them, it's the Bear Patrol (shades of the Simpsons).

 

Thank the gods more and more local governments are putting these up:

http://www.ericlafforgue.com/imagecache/large/japan/JAPAN17440.jpg

and

6-11.jpg

 

 

 

 


You need to invest in an air rifle!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an RAF Atlas go right over the house today,...... never seen one yet,.... and still haven`t as the cloud was low and loaded with sleet,......I only heard it,... it was loud enough and so checked Flight Radar to check what it was as it sounded different to the twin turoprop passenger stuff that we often get,...... trust my luck! I`ll see one some day!

Cheers

         Tony

Link to post
Share on other sites

A400M, An12 and An26 in addition to the usual things yesterday. Rarely get the A400 and the one time we do it's at 24000ft above low cloud

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, tonyot said:

Had an RAF Atlas go right over the house today,...... never seen one yet,.... and still haven`t as the cloud was low and loaded with sleet,......I only heard it,... it was loud enough and so checked Flight Radar to check what it was as it sounded different to the twin turoprop passenger stuff that we often get,...... trust my luck! I`ll see one some day!

Cheers

         Tony

 

If you move to Wiltshire, yoiu'll see plenty: low-level from Devizes south and also across the house at VERY low level (ADS-B said 1500 ft but it felt a gooood deal lower) once a week or so. Most often higher up, going Brize towards the coast or back. I haven't tired of them yet, since they sound almost as cool as an An-22 or Tu-95.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was out for my 6 miler lunchtime got over flown by a C17 whilst running through east or west coker then a jet ranger (usual) Barwick and Stoford saw a grey thing (rotary) too busy head down bottom up going up hill to really take note and a fast jet flying about presume a  hawk .....quite unusual for a Friday afternoon in Yeovil.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...