What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Grand Daughter No 2 is 3 years old and mad about Aeroplanes.

Sturgate airfield is about three miles away (and just a few miles East of Gainsborough) so we all met up there.

The cafe was open for fry ups and tea etc, and lots of civvy types (single and twin engined) dropped in for a snack, chat and some lunch. 

Of note was resident Piper Cub 'Olive' (subject of a recent TV restoration programme), and an Auster AOP in White with RAF markings. 

I got all excited when I thought I saw a Mustang on the runway. Turned out to be a 3/4 scale replica. Convincing at a distance though!

The seating area is next to the pan and the smell of burning Avgas mingles with the tang of bacon butties!

Lovely stuff on a Sunny day and Grand Daughter was delighted. A future F-35 pilot methinks!

• Like 2

First, let me say that I live in the middle of NOWHERE ! ( I'm right on the border of Arizona and Mexico. Only 5 miles from Mexico.)

Second,   my camera SUCK'S ! These aircraft were only at about 1000 feet.

Third, I was too fumbly with the camera, and just could'nt get it to focus in on the re-fueling booms. But , believe it or not, Both Helicopter's were being re-fueled !

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I actually took around 20 pictures,.... but they ALL are just too  out of focus. Sorry, It isn't everyday we see Stuff like this here in "you-know-where" Egypt.

• Like 3

On 8/9/2020 at 1:34 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Grand Daughter was delighted. A future F-35 pilot methinks!

F-35?

Fighters, pshaw - surely she'd prefer to do some real flying!

C-130_Mk3_Hercules_Transport_Aircraft_la

0_A400M.jpg

A_Royal_Air_Force_Merlin_Helicopter_Crea

67805757_2169621006407672_76738256599845

royal-navy-train-in-us-improve-capabilit

sl300_ci-13-00157_v1_compressed_3000px_2

P-8A_Poseidon_of_VP-16_dropping_torpedo_

20141203ran8119365_292.jpg

0_BL190002463.jpg

2-Rafael-Spike-Missile.jpg

wildcat-2-stage-martlet-firing.jpg

A-Merlin-helicopter-landing-on-a-Royal-N

Landing-A-Helicopter-On-A-Ship-During-A-

image002-300x195.jpg

main-qimg-c26948a7c348b51cc4850eca423d8f

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 5

Two French Armee de l'Air Mirage 2000s have just gone over our city centre apartment twice at 500'. I suspect it may be in connection with Estonia's re-independence day which is commemorated today. 

On 8/14/2020 at 3:03 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Those last three photo’s are impressive shots. 

Yeah, bugger that for a lark. Despite being helo drivers, I concede they earn every penny of their pay and hardship allowances!

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 2

E3 Sentry on the approach to Balice ( Krakow)  airport (today about noon)

50252481571_48efdb2e43_b.jpg

50252664477_f6fdbd9fb3_b.jpg

50252481996_972a676a6b_b.jpg

Please note interesting insignia under left wing and on fin - this is a Luxembourg roundel (sic!)

d4hemfr-b0fc5c7e-6573-403b-b58b-afd3bc3e

of course that under right is NATO logo.

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 3

Been a busy few days here, the FAA have been flying almost every helicopter they have it seems!

Wildcat HMA1

Wildcat HMA2 (the Wildcats doing the usual patrol/scanning circuits)

Merlin Mk 2

Merlin Mk 3

Merlin Mk 4 (3 in formation)

Also had a visitor from Leonardo, the Merlin Crowsnest test aircraft!

Scottish Ambulance Service Beech B200C Super King Air G-SASC just flew north following the coast en-route from Edinburgh to Aberdeen at 1,975 feet which is unusually low for it , maybe a patient for the hyperbaric chamber at ARI.

Around 1300 today had three F-15E heading westwards inland over Montrose at low level on parallel tracks a couple of seconds apart with each closer than the first so that the third was almost directly overhead and the noise just rolled on and on well after they had passed out of sight although as they were flying straight and level there was no distinctive howl. 

Rather nostalgic watching and hearing low flying jets on the day that in previous years would have seen me down at the former RAF Leuchars for arrivals day on their Airshow Enthusiasts Package. 

On Wednesday, I drove out of Lincoln on the way to the Dambusters pub to do a delivery there. 

As I got close the Reds took off form Scampton and flew directly over head in vics of three at about 150 ft.

Today I was delivering in Horncastle. Early in the afternoon a Spitfire was stooging around, in and out of the clouds.

Lovely sound!

Sat on Filey cliff top on Thursday afternoon and heard a racket. Few seconds later an RAF Chinook came thundering along following the shoreline at just about cliff top height. Rear door was open and a chappy was waving to whoever waved at him! It then turned inland and flew off towards Flamborough way. Should have taken my phone out to get a few pics but was too distracted by the sight of it! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

Had a great day here in Rhode Island spotting yesterday. Gorgous day, mid- 70's, not a cloud in the sky and only light breeze. Perfect flying day.  So, around 7:30/8 am we were just thinking about waking up, and we hear a couple of nice big radial engines going over. We live under the pattern for Quonsett Point National Gaurd AFB, so are used to the Chinooks, Hercules, Blackhawks, etc but this was nothing like those. All the local summer airshows have been cancelled, hhmmmmm.......what's going on. Anyhoo, it quiets down, then later on we hear them again. We rush out, and not 500' above our heads comes a flight of TWO  T6's, a Lodestar, and a TBM Avenger!  Two mins later, a second flight of T6's and a small twin I didn't recognize.  Great day! Regards, Pete in RI

• Like 2