What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Riddle me this one.  Last two days I've had a Short Skyvan circling over my house, SW Dorset, for quite a while.  Last night it was eventually joined by a single engined turboprop aircraft and then they stooged off.  Today it was back and has just been joined up by, of all things, the Qatari C-17 which has tail chased it around for a while and then they've both headed out to sea.  I can only imagine it has something to do with Yeovilton Air Day, which is on Saturday.  Anyone have any ideas?

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Anyone have any ideas?

There is a Skyvan around that acts as a camera ship, using the rear door / ramp as the platform to take pictures. I guess this is what you are seeing.

I actually visited this thread the say three Spitfires in Vic formation went Eastwards over our house today, a single Spit went the other way about 20 mins later.

1 hour ago, Paul821 said:

There is a Skyvan around that acts as a camera ship, using the rear door / ramp as the platform to take pictures. I guess this is what you are seeing.

I actually visited this thread the say three Spitfires in Vic formation went Eastwards over our house today, a single Spit went the other way about 20 mins later.

Would make perfect sense.  Thanks.

Not exctly over my house but over my job place which is right below approach path to Krakow Balice airport - the sole existing C17 on Hungarian (!) markings

48259597067_91a0b025f7_b.jpg

48259528831_305d88b685_b.jpg

48259597962_db9916fa39_b.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

On 6/29/2019 at 4:33 PM, Silver Fox said:

We had  a DC-3 flying low over us north of Sheffield/Rotherham about 2.30. Twenty minutes later TMS reported one flying over Headingley.

Was up this way as it was doing a fly past for Leeds Armed Forces day. 

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers

Not strictly over my house but was only a 25 mins drive away so it almost counts! 

RCL7uK9.jpg

T2lGM1y.jpg

aMcsquS.jpg

Took these at the Yorkshire Wartime Experience last weekend. Think its a MkVb but i'm no Spitfire expert. Really like the camo scheme. Apologies for the dodgy pics and i really need to get the camera sensor cleaned! :huh: Sound of that Merlin made my hair stand on end! Last year the BBMF Lanc did the flypast.

Regards,

Steve

🇬🇧

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Think its a MkVb but i'm no Spitfire expert.

Mk.IX - the two large underwing radiators are the recognition point on a Merlin engined Spitfire (applies to the Mk.VII, VIII, X, XI and XVI too).

Lovely shots, they really convey a sense of action and power, thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Mk.IX - the two large underwing radiators are the recognition point on a Merlin engined Spitfire (applies to the Mk.VII, VIII, X, XI and XVI too).

Lovely shots, they really convey a sense of action and power, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Wez. One of the few things that can stop a crowd in its tracks! 

Regards

Steve

On 12/07/2019 at 13:08, Biggles87 said:

Having seen very little of the Armee de l’Air so far this year we’ve had two Alpha Jets and either a Mirage 2000 or Raphale ( only just caught a glimpse of it as it disappeared behind the trees ) today.

The main interest where I live is the Cessna Caravan of the local parachute school. If you listen carefully you can hear the sound of the parachutes as the brave souls drift down. 

Haven't had anyone land in our back garden, so far!

• Haha 1

A couple of Cessna O-1s in formation, heading in a vaguely Duxford direction.

Later on, as the RSPB headquarters in Sandy, we saw a juvenile Sparrowhawk, which tried to take out a magpie and two pigeons in the space of five minutes. Fierce, little blighter!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 8:54 PM, lasermonkey said:

Later on, as the RSPB headquarters in Sandy, we saw a juvenile Sparrowhawk, which tried to take out a magpie and two pigeons in the space of five minutes. Fierce, little blighter!

Not sure the sparrowhawk has entirely grasped the concept of the RSPB.  A quiet word seems called for.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Ants.

Hundreds and hundreds of flying ants.

Had those swarming from our garden last night, the gulls and Swifts thoroughly enjoyed the feast!

Three Hawk trainers flew over Harlech headed north in a tight Vic. I've heard jets all day but these were the first I've actually seen in the area. I think they transit in and out the mach loop round hereabouts? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Hear a racket approaching from a distance and assumed it would be an Antonov of some description. I had a look on FR24 and it's an AN-12, UR-CEZ.

If they make that much noise at 24,125ft, I'd hate to be right up close!

The same aircraft has just been over us (well nearly, about 3 miles north) on its way from Prestwick to Leipzig, also at about 24,000ft. Yes, they are noisy and seem to have a very penetrating low pitch sound. They only ever seem to fly over when it is cloudy round here. 

Spanish Atlas and The Blades taking a detour from the Fairford Air Tattoo to pay a visit to Royal Wootton Basset.

Photos by my landlady, who gave me permission to share them.

Lzpmpof.jpg

PAwvYvS.jpg

YyraJpz.jpg

There were 6 'Blades'. I assume all, or some rode 'piggy back' when returning to Fairford.

Badder.

ps, I haven't posted the pics I managed to snap, for very good reasons! Well, one very good reason, and it rhymes with 'Trap'.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1