What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Sat having lunch at Leitholm and High in the sky saw two dots close together. Looking through binoculars resolved into an E3 Sentry being tanked by a KC135. First time seen this for real. 

• Like 2

Two AlfaJets screamed over at easily less than a 1000 feet. I was on my (noisy) sit upon mower and wearing ear defenders, but they still scared the :poop:out of me.

John.

• Like 1

Gazelle on transit to RNAS Culdrose, looked very like 705 colours but just to far away to confirm, that whine is distinct after 8 years at Shawbury.😉

This is mornings coffee break was broken with a NH90 inbound to CU.

Skeeter and Sycamore helicopters flying south by the white cliffs of Dover at about 1.30 pm. Also the 2 seat Spitfire from  Biggin Hill just before this. 

A very rewarding walk from Langdon cliffs to the South Foreland light house.

Dick

On 6/7/2018 at 5:30 PM, Wafu said:

Gazelle on transit to RNAS Culdrose, looked very like 705 colours but just to far away to confirm, that whine is distinct after 8 years at Shawbury.😉

This is mornings coffee break was broken with a NH90 inbound to CU.

It certainly was in 705 NAS markings. I ate my lunch in the viewing enclosure at Culdrose, and for a split second thought I'd fallen back in time 15-odd years when it came into view.

Hi ,i live near Iron bridge in Shropshire ,Hawker Hurricane just made 3 passes over the village .

Cosford Airshow is on tomorrow ,never been, but often see the aircraft flying the day before .

Had a Spitfire, probably MH434, fly over yesterday.

We don't have big skies here in Bedfordshire and in my back garden, we're pretty hemmed-in. It's a very restricted filed of view. Despite that, just half an hour ago we could see three red kites and three buzzards wheeling around overhead at the same time.

The buzzards are usually at altitude, but the kites, which are now very frequent visitors, come much lower. They've been mewing at each other and playing tag.

Such beautiful creatures.

A couple of evenings ago I was outside and heard a rather distinctive drone. I looked up to see a pair of Stearmans pottering up the Dee estuary heading towards West Kirby.

Trevor

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

A couple of evenings ago I was outside and heard a rather distinctive drone. I looked up to see a pair of Stearmans pottering up the Dee estuary heading towards West Kirby.

Trevor

They were heading back down towards Chester again this evening Trevor. I saw them from the Welsh side of the water.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

Throughout this morning we have had a Dakota, Chinook, Jet Provost and a Spitfire over head, all at relatively low level - all departures from yesterdays RAF Cosford Airshow and a pleasant change to the civilian light aircraft that we normally get from Halfpenny Green! 

Where me and Mrs Wez have trundled the self propelled home on wheels to is near Cazaux so there's been plenty of noisy stuff flying overhead for the past couple of days but it's been too cloudy to see what the fuss is about.

The cloud is clearing today an I've caught site of 3 pairs of Singaporean M346's, followed by something altogether more dangerous, bigger and louder but out of sight, can any of our French members offer a suggestion as to what that might be? Any Mirages or Rafales fly out of Cazaux these days?

Just seen the answer to my own question, just saw 4 Mirage 2000's approaching Cazaux, which along with all the Alpha Jets I've seen accounts for all the noise!

Me and Mrs Wez are making our way north in the self propelled house on wheels and are now near Royan where a Bell-47 with big balloon type floats is trundling up the coast.

A Bell-47 in flight is a rare thing indeed, one on floats even rarer!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

The other weekend a deep throaty growl intrigued me and slowly resolved itself into an ex Antarctic  DHC Beaver and was accompanied by two Tiger Moths.  Turns out the local Lions Club had paid for the Morrinsville ATC to all have flights in these three aeroplanes - good on them.

Me and Mrs Wez have taken the self propelled house on wheels to the seaside just south of La Rochelle where it is flipping hot!

Just had a Mirage 2000 roar along the coast at less than 150ft - trés formidable!

Still temporarily near La Rochelle, just had a Hughes 300 type helicopter fly along the coast.

I must say, France is doing well for obsolete helicopters, first a Bell 47 and now this.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

This morning, over West Bridgford, two fast contrails in formation from NW to SE, not as noisy as the usual F15s, I couldn't make them out with the bins other than light grey blobs. They did an apparent swerve round a civil heading north, then headed on to the south. Any ideas from the east of England contingent? Then about 12:30 a Spitfire went west to east to add joy to the lawn mowing :)