What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

This afternoon, out in the fields by Vicarage Wood, Penn; a staffel of red kites at about 50 ft, a couple of hundred feet above them, a trio of WWI fighters, I'm guessing an S.E.5, a Fokker triplane, and A. N. Other. And a few thousand feet above them, a BA 380 climbing out of LHR. Would have made a fantastic photo. But the dog and I enjoyed it anyway.

On 16/09/2016 at 10:42 AM, Graham said:

I am sure there was a Chinook over Edinburgh about 04:20 this morning and then again about 05:20 heading back south.

Graham

I'm just outside Edinburgh to the east and I heard the unmistakable sound a of a Chinook flying roughly in the direction of Leuchars  (or whatever it's called now) about 2300 on Thursday night.

I don't know if this has already been posted in the last 33 pages :unsure:  If not then you should take a look at this...

https://www.flightradar24.com/  It will show you what is "really" flying over your house - even if it is at 40,000 ft.

Be careful though - it is very addictive - time to get those binoculars out :clap2:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

By the time I have the page up, that would have landed. ;)

Anyway, if he's not in controlled airspace, and without his transponder, he won't show up.

Civil & private only on this site I'm afraid - but here in Saddleworth we get very little military these days - being on the direct approach to Manchester Airport.  There is a white Huey though that drops "strange white bags" on the moor every few months - fire control maybe???

Back when I was a kid we used to get Vulcans & Nimrods over the house - on the way into Woodford Aerodrome (Avro) - the Woodford air show each year used to be amazing in the sixties & seventies - ah those were the days.

8 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

There is always these guys. ADS-B Exchange (5102)

If you work though the menu and the filters, you can get military only if you want.  Takes a few seconds to page up though.

Hmmm - Interesting - must take a look...

...Wow that is really cool - I've just found...

94-0070 AE07E4 Compass.png OpFlag.png
United States Air Force RCH650
United States Military
McDonnell Douglas C-17A Globemaster III C17
  • Altitude: 35000 ft
  • Speed: 443.0 kts
  • Heading: 295.7°
  • Vertical Speed: -1344 ft/m
  • Squawk: 4637
  • Species: Landplane
  • Transponder: ADS-B
  • Latitude: 56.10839°
  • Longitude: -4.98839°
  • Copyright © Roberto Cassar
  • Route: Route not known
...It seems to have taken off south of Cologne & is currently over Oban in Scotland - I told you this stuff is addictive :clap2:

Sitting enjoying an Espresso at Gunwharf Quay at Portsmouth Harbour this afternoon and over flew a Spitfire. No idea where it came from, apart from in over the Solent, but it was a few moments of magic.