What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Eurofighter Typhoon around 1600 today flying straight and level at a couple of thousand feet on a heading out to sea and was on the right heading for the Bell Rock which in busier times was a holding point for the former RAF Leuchars , since read elsewhere that 9 Sqn. FGR.4 ZJ935/WS-G made a couple of PAR approaches shortly thereafter.

Went for a walk in the countryside yesterday. I could hear the dulcet tones of a Merlin, and sure enough, a Hurricane was stooging around. I think it was the two seater, as the glint of sun off the canopy seemed bigger than normal. Might have been out of DX or Hawker's place at Elmsett, it headed back in that general direction.

• Like 1

Saw this on Dartmoor on Thursday evening - I think it's related to a Hercules but it's got a funny paint scheme and odd bulges, what is it exactly?

spacer.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rossm said:

what is it exactly?

Looks like a C-130J series Herc to me, can't see any markings though.  The RAF's Hurcules C.4/C.5 are based on this type of airframe.

This morning, the Blue and yellow Tiger Moth, and which I've flown in,  previously based at Old Sarum and early this afternoon a blue grey Spitfire, flying east at about 2500 ft. That sound and the wing shape are so distinctive. 

Edited by 224 Peter
Typo

I was in Mansfield on Thursday (30th Aug) when I heard jet noise. As you sometimes get in streets, the noise seem to come from different directions all at once. I did the usual rubber necking and think I saw a glimpse of Hunter receding into the distance . Did I see right? I haven't seen one airborne since the Shoreham display. Hawk maybe?

10 hours ago, rossm said:

Saw this on Dartmoor on Thursday evening - I think it's related to a Hercules but it's got a funny paint scheme and odd bulges, what is it exactly?

spacer.png

RAF Hercules C130J C4. Out of Brize.

The bulges are the countermeasures.

HTH

Rick.

Lots of activities this last few weeks.

Including the usual out of Brize, Hercs, Atlas, Voyager and now Texans from North Wales.

The latter are an exciting new addition to this area and long may they continue! Usually at nought feet too! Nice.

There was one A400 at nought feet East to West, just hopping over the Malvern's and disappearing around Creden hill.......

Rick.

Not so much flying as landing. The Antonov AN-225 is arriving Prestwick Airport today from Bangor, Maine. Refuelling stop before flying on to Israel

ETA 14.30. ETD 16.30

Can be tracked on FR24 or, Freedar. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a bus to catch! 😉😂

Allan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some interesting stuff over the past week in south Wales

This was hovering around for ages - looks like a Lynx (or Wildcat?) but no idea what the boom/microphone-looking this is?

spacer.png

A pair of Chinooks. I have since found out there was a training exercise with the army heading over to the Caribbean to assist with Hurricane season and relief efforts. They were flying in close formation and circling, landing and taking off again for some time 

spacer.png

Just caught the tail-end of this. A Puma perhaps?

spacer.png

Rather late mentioning it but around 1250 this afternoon a pair of F-15s moaning their way westwards around the edge of Montrose at low level and last seen heading in the direction of Duncan B , lot of southward bound jet noise heard about twenty minutes later which is not unusual when Lakenheath jets venture this way.

Quite an exciting late afternoon over west Cornwall, all seen on 360radar. A pair of Voyagers (including the flashy one) were orbiting in Air Air Refuelling Area 11, which starts at Land's End and goes out past the Scillies. Two Royal Navy Hawks and a pair of Cobham Falcon 20s were off the north coast of Cornwall, being prevented from launching an attack on HMS Defender, which was 20 miles SW of the Lizard, by a pair of Typhoons. being directed by the Type 45 destroyer. Two more Typhoons and an F-35 transited over the top and met up with the tankers before taking over. The F-35 was orbiting some distance away while the Typhoons did their stuff, and a further pair of Typhoons were carrying out what might have been a combat air patrol off the south Devon coast.

Shame it was 10/10ths cloud.:wall:

• Sad 1

Just had a C-17 directly overhead (at 5,075 feet showing as ZZ171 and answering to RRR821 according to Flight Radar) heading southwards which after having set off from Brize Norton has so far visited the Isle of Man , Stornoway , Aberdeen and is presently descending over the River Forth possibly for Edinburgh.