What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Here in San Antonio, Texas, we have the Boeing maintenance center at what used to be Kelly AFB. The Air Force Reserve has C-5Ms and the Air National Guard has F-16C/D Fighting Falcons. Boeing does overhaul and modification work on C-17s. Randolph Air Force Base is about 30 miles from where I live and there're T-38C and T-6A trainers flying out of there. All the airplanes mentioned above fly over my house from time to time, and on occassion we see a Boeing test aircraft. I'm not certain, but I believe I saw a 737-10 MAX the other day. Again, not certain but it certainly was long for a 737 and it was in Boeing house colors. Airliners seem few and far between now but we do see Cessnas and various helicopters fly over.

Lots of Apaches over the past few nights. On Wednesday night there were between 3-6, depending on whether the same three had turned around or there were two lots of three going in opposite directions. Sadly, ADS-B didn't pick them up. On Thursday night it was just a couple. I wonder if there will be any more tonight? They were low too. Made a helluva racket!

Absolutely nothing seen for weeks then today this comes bimbling round in the circuit to do an overshoot at Shoreham of

all places.

Atlas C1 - 12

Apparently a couple of Pumas went for a visit also but didn't see those - too low. Trying not to get too excited for tomorrow!

Edit......Famine to a feast, Chinook over the kip at 21.10. Didn't have to wait for tomorrow!

Edited by mackem01
  • Like 2

Only caught a glimpse of the Atlas from the other side of Worthing sadly. Flew straight over my parents’ house whilst they were in the garden which pleased them! Heard it head west afterwards but out was of sight over the Downs.

Thought I heard a Chinook this evening too!

Not over my house, but just looked at ADS-B, and see there's three E-3s over the North Sea at the moment - one NATO and one RAF flying the opposite sides of an orbit halfway between the UK and Denmark, and another NATO one returning to Luxembourg after departing the same orbit area...

Whilst out for my afternoon walk, I saw a Rearwin 175 Skyranger (not a type I had heard of before, I had to look that one up), a Piper Cub, a Neiuport 17 in formation with a yellow painted Hawker Fury replica and, although I only caught a very brief glimpse, what I'm pretty sure was a P-47D. It certainly sounded like one. Not a bad afternoon, really!

Just returning from our morning dog walk at 0915, two Pumas in trail heading NE. Don’t see many Pumas these days.

Forgot to post at the time, but last Saturday at about 1045 I heard something different so went out to see an aircraft about 1km to the west, heading north which could have been a Hurricane, and it was 6th June so there might have been a flypast somewhere.

Had a FedEx MD-11 fly lowish over Colchester in a far from usual flight path, an hour or so ago. I looked  it up on Flightradar24 and it was making a spiders web all over Essex.  Typically our Virgin Broadband went down for 40 minutes as I started typing this (par for the course!).

50017175217_222986069e_b.jpg

Anyone got any ideas what could be behind this in an otherwise near empty sky (the plane near Kelvedon was an RAF Voyager BTW)?

it appeared to land safely after this.

10 minutes ago, Fatcawthorne said:

Had a FedEx MD-11 fly lowish over Colchester in a far from usual flight path, an hour or so ago. I looked  it up on Flightradar24 and it was making a spiders web all over Essex. 

50017175217_222986069e_b.jpg

Anyone got any ideas what could be behind this in an otherwise near empty sky (the plane near Kelvedon was an RAF Voyager BTW)?

it appeared to land safely after this.

Could he be circling due to mechanical issues ? Maybe a landing gear not functioning or maybe burning off extra fuel to lighten the landing weight ? Third option is there was a problem on the ground and he was told to hold at altitude ? 

• Thanks 1

Doing a job in Connington near Peterborough today, heard a jet take off from the near by air field (ex RAF Glatton), turned out to be a vampire, not sure of mk, but an unusual and heart warming sight all the same.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Could he be circling due to mechanical issues ? Maybe a landing gear not functioning or maybe burning off extra fuel to lighten the landing weight ? Third option is there was a problem on the ground and he was told to hold at altitude ? 

They’re pretty much the options that went through my head too Dennis, so great minds think alike!!   I just wondered if anyone was in the know out there in BM world to confirm our suspicions.  My son has now pointed out that the Motorway (M11) next to Stanstead Airport was closed due to a police incident.  I also am wondering if that is related.

It was good to see some heavy metal over Colly at 10,000 odd feet though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fatcawthorne said:

My son has now pointed out that the Motorway (M11) next to Stanstead Airport was closed due to a police incident.  I also am wondering if that is related.

Maybe someone tried to hop a fence or there was drones seen in the area ? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Max Headroom said:

Thunder and lightning!

It’s still really clear in Colly Trevor, so not sure there. Not like in Manchester for the footy at the moment!

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Maybe someone tried to hop a fence or there was drones seen in the area ? 

The closure is just north of the airport so probably not linked.

https://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/news/hertfordshire-news/m11-shut-police-incident-4237644

Do you still work at Stanstead @Alpha Delta 210?

• Like 1

Approx 2pm this afternoon at about 2000’ a Turbo Porter flying over Neston parallel with the Dee headed towards West Kirby. No idea whose as it didn’t show up on my plane app.

Trevor 

Whilst slogging it out on the hill from Yeovil Junction to two tower lane (for those that know it) this afternoon I heard a high pitched buzzing of rotor blades....hmmm familiar...it was a Wasp ....Westland not natural....fabulous even though I sometimes regret not opting for 829NAS for my first squadron and the associated Windies Guardship (type21 frigate) ah well I did ok 😁