What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

This afternoon, we witnessed a flypast by the local Air National Guard in honour of our frontline COVID workers.

(I should note that this was done as part of a regular training exercise, where refuelling and formation flying training was conducted - no PPE was harmed in the making of this flypast!)

KC-135R 61-0284, 161st ARW; F-16Cs 90-0715 & 87-0311 of 162nd FW, and F-16D 88-0173 also of 162nd FW.

49868131366_1d1888fc39_h.jpgflypast04 by paulbradley109, on Flickr

More photos in a separate Aviation Photography thread. 

• Like 2

Not exactly flying over, but hovering within earshot this afternoon - on looking out of the window, eventually spotted a few hundred yards off Crinnis Beach in Carlyon Bay:

spacer.png

What looked like a DHFS Griffin - he held that position for a good 10-15 minutes:

spacer.png

• Like 1

A KC-135 and a Chipmunk today.

Whilst out for my walk along the river I saw a huge number of banded demoiselle damselflies. The deep turquoise of the males and emerald green of the females are amongst the most beautiful colours in nature, IMHO.

• Like 3

On 5/5/2020 at 10:52 AM, JWM said:

I made a high altitude photo about 2000

I have found this mine photo from ~2000, below is only scanned fragment with An-22 

49895078946_e461d7f567_o.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

I heard an unusual noise in the distance around 1.15am and looked on ADS-B. It was a pair of V-22s heading NE towards Mildenhall.

We rarely get any military aircraft in this neck of the woods, save for the Apaches and Chinooks transiting between Wattisham and Middle Wallop and certainly nothing from Mildenhall or Lakenheath. Oer the past few days there's been KC-135s and V-22s, so I wonder what's changed?

Anyway, it would be nice if the V-22s come back during daylight!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I heard an unusual noise in the distance around 1.15am and looked on ADS-B. It was a pair of V-22s heading NE towards Mildenhall.

We rarely get any military aircraft in this neck of the woods, save for the Apaches and Chinooks transiting between Wattisham and Middle Wallop and certainly nothing from Mildenhall or Lakenheath. Oer the past few days there's been KC-135s and V-22s, so I wonder what's changed?

Anyway, it would be nice if the V-22s come back during daylight!

There's been a V-22 operating daytimes in and around the Hereford and Gloucester areas most of the week - flying lots of patterns anywhere between 1,000 and 10,000ft...

....was doing so west of Hereford at the beginning of the week, and west and southwest of Gloucester midweek...

....this morning, the same A400 that's been playing over and around this area all week (see 'A400 having fun' thread) has been within sight flying approaches into Newquay...

Not seen an A400 Atlas overhead, until this week!

Saw one heading north on Tuesday, just had another over Striling at 5000ft heading west.

According to FR24 its going from Brize to Humberside, via Aberdeen, now at 2000ft near Glasgow

ZM419 apparently

• Like 1

Looked like a Porterfield earlier on - @melvyn hiscock maybe?

Loads of A400Ms this week (which nowadays I see being referred to by news hacks as "A400" or even worse, "A-400"). I think the A400 is a road in north London. Last week one 'newspaper' described a 'massive A400' being seen near Manchester, which is not only geographically incorrect (the A400 ends at Charing Cross), but the A400 is also one of our smaller A-roads, at just 4.3 miles. So the headline should in fact be, "Woefully short A400 seen near North London".

It's been a long few weeks in lockdown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Looked like a Porterfield earlier on - @melvyn hiscock maybe?

I have not flown in years and sold the Rearwin ages ago. The Porterfield resembles the Rearwin Sportster by being from the same designer and having the same motor. The Porterfield on the register is Navy blue, the Rearwin Sportster Is ‘Stearman Vermillion’. Mine was the much bigger Cloudster. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McYellowbelly said:

Not seen an A400 Atlas overhead, until this week!

Saw one heading north on Tuesday, just had another over Striling at 5000ft heading west.

According to FR24 its going from Brize to Humberside, via Aberdeen, now at 2000ft near Glasgow

ZM419 apparently

That'll be the one I saw earlier, then.

Not much happening up here - BA A319, KLM E190 and the usual Loganair small stuff. I did see one of the yellow Beech Super King Air's operated by the Scottish Ambulance Service a few days a go, presumably the one based at Dyce.

Mike.

whilst working at perth morrisons outside heard first aircraft for a while and it was an A400. Noisy at its level. usually see anything from virgin balloon to the DA-42s they use at scone airfield. a few weeks ago at almost rooftop level was a red biplane. think it was a stearman? 

• Haha 1

I live in the Harolds Cross area of Dublin and the last couple of days I've noticed light twins going over in a westerly direction.  From Flightradar24 they appear to be Partenavia Victors of Liverpool-based Ravenair.  They fly back and forth east-west over south Dublin.  I imagine they're doing some kind of aerial survey work.

Went on a walk today at a place called Burbage Common, although we were on the footpaths outside of that at this point, a Chinook appeared. Only had my phone on me so not all that great pictures.

8861073be5364cb96eb06f63ab6932ba.jpg

92b7db9e93e1560b87152faf4ca81215.jpg

• Like 3

Just had a Typhoon pass directly overhead flying south and unusually not too high to be identified as such , usually they are heard but not seen.

• Like 2

Another visit from a C17 this afternoon. Manged to get some reasonable snaps of it as it flew around. It then came low right over my back garden when I was out but I didn't have the camera at the time! 

uyI2CxM.jpg

vm4C1Ix.jpg

xuYJLXk.jpg

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 3