What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

This is a photo from the past, taken over Salisbury Plain back in the past, but it is too good not to post. 

spacer.png

This was part of the Tristar trials and was done by two pilots from Boscombe Down for a bet, I'm told. The Buc passed the Tristar about 1 ton of fuel, and then raced round the back to get it back! 

Again, the story is that the Tristar could have drained the Buc dry in about 10 mins....

• Like 8

On 3/21/2020 at 9:12 PM, lasermonkey said:

Could have sworn I saw, albeit fleetingly, a Sea King (S.61) flying in the distance yesterday. I was in the car at the time (as a passenger) and tried looking on ADS-B but couldn't find it.

If it was yellow,...... the people who fly the Wessex and Whirlwind in Somerset have just got their Sea King going too and are flying it. Otherwise,.....I believe some grey and Orange Sea Kings are still flying in civvie hands from Portland, training German crews?

• Like 1

A friend says he saw a Hercules flying low near to the RAF Museum at Hendon today,...... did anybody else see it and do they know what it was doing? Maybe heading into London City Airport with medical supplies?

Cheers

Tony

On 3/20/2020 at 4:06 PM, 224 Peter said:

This is a photo from the past, taken over Salisbury Plain back in the past, but it is too good not to post. 

spacer.png

This was part of the Tristar trials and was done by two pilots from Boscombe Down for a bet, I'm told. The Buc passed the Tristar about 1 ton of fuel, and then raced round the back to get it back! 

Again, the story is that the Tristar could have drained the Buc dry in about 10 mins....

Excellent - I've seen another photo of that hook up, but that one is great!!

There are a few little and large one sout there - there is one of two USN and two FAA types in a chain for example

• Like 1

Byelorussian Iliushyn Il 62 on approach to Krakow airport today, photo taken from my garden (i live near the end of runway) 

49705056481_06ffed19f4_b.jpg

49705375677_2cf5b2a7cb_b.jpg

This is a rare bird everywher, I think only few of them are still flying.

More typical to fly over my head is CASA 295, since Krakow is the base of their squadron

49705375862_5dfca42db8_b.jpg

Some ten days ago I noticed from garden a formation of 2 Blackhawks and three Apaches, apparently of US Army

49705435607_49242c4e9f_b.jpg

Zoomed out:

49704584513_c15ffd971c_b.jpg

49705117011_faf0f3cb73_b.jpg

Cheers

J-W 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Had a Coastguard S-92 over Montrose for around two hours last night from about 1830 to around 2045 flying roughly 20 minute circuits south along the coast and back northwards a mile or so inland , fairly high until it got dark and then last couple were at far lower level lit up like a Christmas Tree.     Crew training I imagine and although it was not showing on FR24 the lack of much traffic anywhere else over Scotland presumably lets them roam wherever they want these days.

• Like 1

I checked John Lennon Airport yesterday and in total there were three arrivals and departures. All were to-from the Isle of Man. Today isn't much busier. Manchester was also very quiet.

Trevor

• Like 1

I've just checked Flightradar24 - using the filters & there are absolutely zero flights on the way into Manchester from anywhere in the world.  Normally, at any time of day or night there would be 30 plus aircraft winging their way in from somewhere in the world.  It's been getting quieter over the last few weeks, but now it is completely dead.  There is only 1 flight getting ready for take off - Qatar to Doha.

I wonder how many people are employed at the airport - it must be thousands...

• Sad 1

For much of March there has been nothing flying out of Southampton, other than a few flights to the Channel Islands. 

Fly Be, it was nice knowing you. 😔

Bournemouth is no better, BA's C-CIVP, a Boeing 747-436 has just landed from LHR. Is this a parking position or last flight? 

Leeds Bradford had three flights as near as I can tell. Even the biz jets that are a fairly regular feature are absent. Only London, Amsterdam and Dublin flights are operated at a much reduced frequency. About the only movement was the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, that looks as if it was on a short visit ?fuelling. Virtually all the passenger stuff that comes over high level has gone with the odd Freighter around. 

My guess is that after all this air travel will be different, don't see much future for the 737 Max order book as airlines struggle with costs. 

42 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Even though the planes are grounded wherever, I would imagine they need regular maintenance?

Trevor

Trevor, I've never seen a BA 747 land at Bournemouth before. 

Possibly "overspill parking" from LHR/Gatwick? 

BA has cancelled all Gatwick flights. 

6 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

But will it take off again???

Trevor

Spent a little while on FR24 earlier this afternoon and noticed around 1500 that while there is a lot less activity over the UK than usual Italy on the other hand Italy was showing as almost aircraft-free with other than a few airliners up around Milan the only other flights showing down the entire length of the country were one Police and two Medivac helicopters , an Army Dornier and an Air Force Avanti.

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Even though the planes are grounded wherever, I would imagine they need regular maintenance?

Trevor

You're right Trevor, modern aircraft still need anti-deterioration maintenance, ideally with periodic ground runs.

• Thanks 1

We had a Chinook overhead last night, I’m sure it landed at the Army camp and then departed. This afternoon was a Puma (I only saw one) going South West.

5 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

I think there were two 747s today for parking; one just after 11 and a white-tail earlier. Also a few Airbus single-aisle. My mother (80+) lives under the approach and knows her airliners. She once won us a pair of tickets to RIAT after the Bournemouth Echo ran an aircraft silhouette competition: identify fives types. She got all five correct - Spitfire was reasonably easy, Hurricane less so. I was most proud of the fact that she got the Vulcan however.

Today we had a RAF C-130J at low level and something rotary-winged about 30 minutes ago a LOT lower.

Edited by Sabrejet