What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Regulary get woken up by a loud aircraft high up in the morning and its always been cloudy so no spotting and non civy so not on Flightradar24, finally as able to get onto ADSB this time to see it was a KC-10, little skeptical it was alone as sounded louder than It should be for high bypass turbofans but they are cf6s which must be lot louder than the modern stuff, and the c-17 that flew over recently was louder than I expected. 

• Like 1

Now it might be because I'm inhaling fumes from the rally cars blasting round Donington Park but I swear I've just seen a Beechcraft Starship on finals into EMA

IanJ 

Been hearing lots of noise at night most nights recently but I do live near the wash range. Seen a fair few ospreys on my commute. See the Apaches at wattisham most days while at work. The oddest/best I've seen of late was about a fortnight back now while I was delivering to a farm just north of Ingham was 4 C-135s (or maybe just 1 circling but it didn't sound like 1) heading into Mildenhall all in the space of 20 minutes between 13:20 and 13:40. Anybody seen the F-35s out of Marham yet?, I do hear a lot of noise when I am passing through Crimplesham. Couple of months back I saw an Atlas Air 747 over Thetford circling round on its way into Mildenhall. I had to smile when I checked flightradar24 it said that the destination was N/A.  Had to take my dad to Lincoln NHS for an operation last month, so while he was in surgery went for a walk with my eyes skywards, saw an Emirates A380 and could see the red belly! And then a week later as I was popping in to Tesco's in Boston I saw the Kalitta 747 and was amazed that I could see the stripe on the side! (both sitings confirmed with flightradar24) it's amazing how much detail you can see on something 5 mile up in a clear sky.

Edited by Abandoned Project
  • Like 1

A pair of Wedge-Tailed Eagles (Aquila audax, see my avatar).  One circling lazily and the other performing dive and zoom territorial display.

Earlier, Air New Zealand Boeing 787 bound for Auckland.

AW

• Like 2

Today over Waddington around lunchtime, a Spitfire giving a very nice display routine. It had D day stripes, so a Mk IX?

Then later, two F-35's being very noisy doing flypasts. Apparently there is a forces meet/display on.

Yesterdays Spitfire had clipped wings, I'm told by other people who saw it and may have been a two seater?

• Like 1

I don't think there are any 2 seater clipped wing Spits flying. (Probably never were.)   The striped one may well have been the BoB flight PR XIX.

But for me down my neck of the woods nothing  other than Airbusses and 777. Oh, and the regular Alouette II on Sundays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

I don't think there are any 2 seater clipped wing Spits flying. (Probably never were.)   The striped one may well have been the BoB flight PR XIX

I also wondered about the 2 seater. Some guys at work said it had clipped wings and one said a TE XI whatever that is? It may well have been a Hurricane for all they know!

As for the stripes, I'm not up on what schemes BBMF presently fly, so I was guessing at a MkIX

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing today and in the future. 

I live under the flight path for Old Sarum, for 20 years I've enjoyed the various light aircraft flying over the garden, especially the 2 Tiger Moths. 

Now we have silence because Old Sarum Airfield closes at 16:00 today: it has been in continuous use since 1915. With its closure nearly 20 jobs have gone at Go Fly, Go Jump and the Skies Cafe. 

Why?

The owner wants to develop the land, planning has been refused at every level, so as he can't get what he wants it seems he won't let those who opposed him have what they want. 

The airfield has 5 "Belfast Truss" General aircraft sheds built by German POWs in 1916. They are grade 2 listed buildings. Three are owned by a property company and are let, they are in good to excellent condition. Two are owned by the airfield operator and are derelict. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

On 10/15/2019 at 10:38 AM, Mr T said:

RAF Atlas been round a couple of times practising approaches into Leeds Bradford. 

I`m not too far away and have not had the chance to see one of these yet,......eyes to the sky!! 

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

I`m not too far away and have not had the chance to see one of these yet,......eyes to the sky!! 

Leeds Bradford seems to be fairly popular with RAF transport pilots and others over the years we have had Hercs, Globemasters, VC10s, Atlases and the occasional Islander and Chinook. Tucanos used to be regulars as well as Jaguars and both Tornado GR1/4 and F.3. Hawks occasionally come in, both T. 1 and 2 (I assume the former from Leeming). 

Air ambulances and others bringing patients to the LGI use the approach as the landing pad is under the final approach. We used to get Lynxes when Dishforth was open and Sea Kings. F35Bs have visited and USAF Hercs used to come, but not seen one for ages. I think the airport is used for practising approaches into civil airports and as LBA is not the easiest place to land in any sort of wind, it can be a challenge. The transports usually do between two and five approaches To the south east we do get military helicopters in transit, presumably going to and from training areas in North Yorkshire. Never had Osprey over, but I have seen them over York. I live south of Leeds between the M62 and M1 and it just as stuff turn in for finals and are usually 2,500feet up and often straight overhead. I see nothing for ages and the we seem to get a flurry of activity, conversion courses perhaps? 

Edited by Mr T
Typos
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

Leeds Bradford seems to be fairly popular with RAF transport pilots and others over the years we have had Hercs, Globemasters, VC10s, Atlases and the occasional Islander and Chinook. Tucanos used to be regulars as well as Jaguars and both Tornado GR1/4 and F.3. Hawks occasionally come in, both T. 1 and 2 (I assume the former from Leeming). 

Air ambulances and others bringing patients to the LGI use the approach as the landing pad is under the final approach. We used to get Lynxes when Dishforth was open and Sea Kings. F35Bs have visited and USAF Hercs used to come, but not seen one for ages. I think the airport is used for practising approaches into civil airports and as LBA is not the easiest place to land in any sort of wind, it can be a challenge. The transports usually do between two and five approaches To the south east we do get military helicopters in transit, presumably going to and from training areas in North Yorkshire. Never had Osprey over, but I have seen them over York. I live south of Leeds between the M62 and M1 and it just as stuff turn in for finals and are usually 2,500feet up and often straight overhead. I see nothing for ages and the we seem to get a flurry of activity, conversion courses perhaps? 

I landed at Leeds Bradford in a Herk in 1989,..... returning from Germany with 4 Para,....... about 8-9 aircraft,......and it was the dodgiest landing ever due to cross wind,..... I was looking straight down the runway from one of the side windows,...... then a huge boot of rudder to straighten up and we were whacked onto the ground!! I`ve done Khe San approaches with a Scorpion tank bellowing out fumes in front of me,..... but that was the dodgiest landing by far!! 

I`m in Milnrow, just over the Pennines and we get lots of aircraft over following the motorway at low level,...... but due to the Manchester Airport stack we don`t get many transports unless they are going into Manchester.

Cheers mate,

Tony

• Like 3

LBA has a reputation for dodgy crosswinds, lots of YouTube videos showing 'interesting' landings. Sometimes see stuff going into Manchester low to the southwest. Last year or so we had a Dubai A380 that had departed Manchester circling for about an hour as it's landing gear was stuck down and then went down to Heathrow. 

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 10:30 AM, 224 Peter said:

Nothing today and in the future. 

I live under the flight path for Old Sarum, for 20 years I've enjoyed the various light aircraft flying over the garden, especially the 2 Tiger Moths. 

Now we have silence because Old Sarum Airfield closes at 16:00 today: it has been in continuous use since 1915. With its closure nearly 20 jobs have gone at Go Fly, Go Jump and the Skies Cafe. 

Why?

The owner wants to develop the land, planning has been refused at every level, so as he can't get what he wants it seems he won't let those who opposed him have what they want. 

The airfield has 5 "Belfast Truss" General aircraft sheds built by German POWs in 1916. They are grade 2 listed buildings. Three are owned by a property company and are let, they are in good to excellent condition. Two are owned by the airfield operator and are derelict. 

No doubt the "choice of words here" owner will now get what he/she wants and the hangars will be consigned to History unless they have an historic earmark.

Doubtless the owner lives in an area with lovely views etc

On 10/15/2019 at 10:38 AM, Mr T said:

RAF Atlas been round a couple of times practising approaches into Leeds Bradford. 

We get those passing overhead fairly often, heading for Newquay (St Mawgan, which still has an RAF presence) less than 20 miles away...

....there's been a few Hawks whizzing around over the last few days - presumably out of Culdrose...

43 minutes ago, junglierating said:

No doubt the "choice of words here" owner will now get what he/she wants and the hangars will be consigned to History unless they have an historic earmark.

Doubtless the owner lives in an area with lovely views etc

Fortunately, as mentioned, the 5 hangars are Grade 2 listed buildings: even better 3 of them are not owned by the person who owns the airfield.  BDAC has a long lease on 2 of them, the third is under offer to a local engineering company.  

The 2 he owns have been left to rot. 

The owner is reputed to live in the Caribbean and  operates through agents and others. This planning application is dead and buried, but of course he can try again. 

Another gem is that when the MOD sold the land a Covenant was attached, giving the MOD up to 150 aircraft movements a year. The owner attempted to have the covenant removed, and failed.

So he cannot destroy the airfield. 

BDAC will continue, we will miss the visitors who come to watch the aircraft and the sky divers, but the collection will endure.  

• Like 4