What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

On 5/30/2019 at 9:21 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Chinook Illinois Army National Guard at about 17:00 local. Heading Northeast towards the Army guard hanger at Midway airport. 

They've been busy recently. Last week there was a UH- or MH-60 with stub wings and tanks doing doughnuts between my office window and Trump Tower, and back at home I saw a USCG Dolphin and SH-60 on two successive days.

• Like 1

Just found out theres an airshow at the airport 5 miles north of me. I took the dogs to a mountain nearby. While i was there this flew by. 

sA4oAZm.jpg

Ford Tri-Motor. Im guessing the F7F Tigercat i saw earlier must have been doing the airshow as well but the runway at the airshow is 3600' and the one south of me is 12,000' its an O'Hare/Midway alternate.  

• Like 2

Just heard a big turboprop flying overhead - no chance of seeing it, it’s chucking it down right now - sounded like a Herc. Flightradar24 says it’s an L100-30 belonging to Lynden Air Cargo, on its way from Melbourne to Brisbane 

Over the last week I have had quite a few of those V-22 Ospreys, I can always tell by the very different sound they make, 

An odd machine for here, but I do know they are using them for COD work on carriers these days, and there is a big military exercise to the south of me, but these are going north and seem to be in the darker grey colour scheme

Meant to post this at the time, but I live not far from Stansted. On Monday morning around 09:30  I was treated to the sight of two large green & white helicopters flying roughly southwest over my house, with a Chinook some distance away but on the same track.  I hope our visiting American gentleman and his family enjoyed their flight!

Murphy’s  law, I grabbed my camera only to find I’d forgotten to insert a fresh battery ...  .

It was interesting looking at FlightRadar24 ... nothing but nothing moving at or over Stansted from about 08:30 when I first looked, only two Ryanair 737s on s holding pattern way to the west and an EasyJet doing the same but apart from Ryanair.  One Ryanair must have been holding for over 45 minutes having flown from Portugal.  Airforce One didn’t show at all.

About 2 weeks ago there was a 1940s weekend at the old Castle Bromwich works. They had a fly bye from Mk356 spitfire. As it flew back to connigsby it flew low over my area. I was stood talking to the lady who owns the florist when I heard the merlin. Stopped her mid sentance and went 'holy sh*t, that's a spitfire' 

Me and a colleague took our lunch break down at Haslar sea wall, just happened to coincide with the D-Day 75 flypast :whistle:

We saw the Spitfire XIX, Hurricane, Lynx on steroids (refuse to call it a Wildcat), two Merlins (including an ex-RAF cab), Sentry, two Herc's, a Voyager, some Hawks, a couple of Typhoons all followed up by the Lead Sparrers - not bad for a Wednesday lunchtime!

A loud jet up high, must be military as nothing on Flightradar24 or ADSB....

edit seems my phone cant handle ADSB so proably could have seen what it was oh well

and now a USAFF c-130 having checked it on my PC after hearing a loud turboprop go over

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 2 weeks later...

I live not far from London Stansted.  This afternoon, shortly before 18:00, I was watering the garden when I heard an unfamiliar (compared with the usual procession of Ryanair and EasyJet twins) sound.  I looked up to see a C17 flying west then banking hard to the north.  I couldn’t make out if was RAF or USAF..

I’ve never seen one of those departing Stansted (or heading towards Stansted either, come to that) before.

Needless to say my cameras were - and are - safely in their cupboard.  Ho hum ... .

Jonny

Nothing special where I live these days.  Just the daily mix of airliners ranging through the current Boeing and Airbus ranges.

Had I found this thread in March I could have filled it with RAAF and USAF types, but that wont happen again until 2021.

Years gone by (30 or so) it was RAAF trainers (CT-4) doing aerobatics over the paddocks behind my house.

Both days over the weekend had the Reds come over heading for Dunsfold for the very last WIngs and Wheels event. Also had the Blades and a Spit 19 overhead on the Saturday for the same event. Sadly could not go to the show due to home commitments

At 1045 this morning I was in a field with our horses when I heard what sounded like an Alpa Jet whistle coming from the east, but was surprised to see a Falcon 50 at about 250m agl which did a wide sweeping turn and disappeared towards the north west. One of the horses thought it was very frightening and galloped off, stupid animal doesn't react at all to Mirage 2000s and Raphales!

Whilst trundling my self propelled temporary home on wheels between Royan and Blaye, three Mirage 2000s flying quite slowly in the opposite direction.

A bit later on near Montendre spotted a biplane in the distance flying away from me, too big to be a Tiger Moth, don't know what type it was, hopefully, one of our French correspondants can provide the details?

Currently sat in a vineyard quaffing red wine and watching the departures from Bordeaux Merignac.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1