What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

4 minutes ago, Mr T said:

About 16.05 an Atlas came over heading towards Leeds-Bradford. 

Saw that. First time seeing one and was surprised at just how quiet it was for such a big beastie. Came over fairly low too! 

Regards

Steve

Was anyone in the North Worcestershire area yesterday, around lunchtime - ish, when a twin engine (prop) plane came over Kidderminster?

It wasn't particluarly low, but from the quick glance I got i would have said it was something like an Anson or Blenheim.

Definitely not a DC 3, I would have recognised that from the wings straight away.

I won't say it's bugging me, because frankly life's too short to worry about missing a plane, but if anyone has any idea it would be nice to know.

Thanks chaps! and chapesses, too.

9 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Puma ZJ957 Pottering about low.

Probably lost and looking for a road sign!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Wez said:

Probably lost and looking for a road sign!

Just now, Rick Brown said:

Nah, they were definitely Brit Pumas. Not American. 

Rick.

Well I certainly remember being sat in the back of an RAF Puma with the cabin doors slid open and reading the road signs - on more than one occasion!

• Like 1

Just now, Rick Brown said:

Been in exactly the same position looking UP at road signs!

Me too!

• Haha 1

Tucano did a circuit of the town at low level about half an hour ago so possibly another detachment at Leuchars , funny how what was once everyday has become exciting. 

Then again 1215 & 1630 Thursday as well as being heard but not seen 1030 Friday , not quite up to the levels of activity 10-15 years ago but still appreciated.

Edited by Des
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:20 PM, Des said:

Tucano did a circuit of the town at low level about half an hour ago so possibly another detachment at Leuchars , funny how what was once everyday has become exciting. 

Same here.  There was a 736 Sq Hawk buzzing around this morning.  Ooh, the excitement of hearing a military jet!  Not like the old days when Chivenor Hawks were always leaping out of the hedgerows at you.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:55 PM, fatfingers said:

Saw that. First time seeing one and was surprised at just how quiet it was for such a big beastie. Came over fairly low too! 

Regards

Steve

That was a very rare sighting considering the A400's woeful serviceability! The rumour is there are never more than couple serviceable at any one time.

I don't think they are very quiet either, they have a very distinctive drone and strangely, at times, an almost helicopter like blade slap. They use Newquay quite a bit for Base training and come over the house as often as they can!

• Like 1

On Saturday afternoon, a Cessna with retractable gear. Strange thing is it had a big pod under each wing that looked like rocket pods ? Obviously they weren't rocket pods. But from the angle and distance to my eye thats what the pods looked like. Any ideas, could they be Baggage, Radar, or maybe a Mapping pod ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

On Saturday afternoon, a Cessna with retractable gear. Strange thing is it had a big pod under each wing that looked like rocket pods ? Obviously they weren't rocket pods. But from the angle and distance to my eye thats what the pods looked like. Any ideas, could they be Baggage, Radar, or maybe a Mapping pod ? 

Dennis

Was it painted black? If so, you weren't meant to see that, and they'll be around to visit shortly.

• Haha 1

Well, not quite flying and nowhere near my house, but close to work, a Sea Harrier F/A2 cockpit section on a trailer, not the sort of thing you expect to see when you're stuck in traffic!