What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Or Wildcat?  I thought the Lynx had been retired?

It could well have been, I'm not particularly au fait with helicopters. Although I only saw it from a rear three-quarter view, it looked like a "boxier" Lynx if that makes sense!

2 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

It could well have been, I'm not particularly au fait with helicopters. Although I only saw it from a rear three-quarter view, it looked like a "boxier" Lynx if that makes sense!

A boxer Lynx would make it a Wildcat

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, junglierating said:

Whatsa Ar501 or whatever?😕

The Shuttleworth Collections Spitfire Vc if I'm not mistaken

We're currently down in Devon in the self-propelled house on wheels near Budleigh Salterton.

So far today we've had a Junglie Merlin and just now a Wildcat (aka a Lynx on steroids)!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

get all sorts of airline traffic overhead, even fairly modern stuff like the 777-300er are fairly audible even at altiude, but just now had both a 787 and a350 overhead at reasonable height, could barely hear a jet roar, struck me just how efficient and quiet they are 

This gorgeous, tiny Holly Blue butterfly. Normally they whizz by and are difficult to identify, but this one settled down for a good ten minutes or so.

Apologies for the fuzzy pic, but the digital zoom on my phone isn't very good and the autofocus was struggling due to the stiff breeze that made the butterfly something of a moving target.

59295252_2492567624088689_84203492857861

• Like 5

Not the house, but sitting in the beer garden of the Ferry Inn in Shoreham and stright over the top chunters a Kamov Ka-26(?). It was red and white so

more than likely one of the Swiss machines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mackem01 said:

Not the house, but sitting in the beer garden of the Ferry Inn in Shoreham and stright over the top chunters a Kamov Ka-26(?). It was red and white so

more than likely one of the Swiss machines.

I had that over my house a few months ago. I heard it coming a mile off and the unique sound had me waiting outside with binoculars at the ready. Not something I'd seen before.

Two Typhoons enjoying a wee play for the last ten minutes (11.50 am) over our house near Earlston Scottish Borders.  Quite a small air display there as they were coming over the house several times with me outside stood underneath.  Interestingly they were hardly going flat out  - or so it seemed.  More like some orbit pattern with one following the other.  Good watching material all the same.  Too high for a mobile phone camera though to make a picture worthwhile.

Wonder what they were up to.

Sounds like they just came back !  (12.11)

• Like 1

Not over my house, but the Mrs and I were at the RSPB headquarters in Sandy, which is just ten minutes away, when a Hurricane flew over. It was pretty much directly overhead, quite low and was in no rush. Because of the angle, it was quite difficult to identify which particular airframe it was, but I think I might have noted the "sewage & slime" scheme of Shuttleworth's Sea Hurricane. It was a very welcome sight, anyway.

Later on I saw two Tiger Moths, one of which was G-AZZZ.

Twenty years ago today the Scottish Parliament opened for business. (Don't worry, Mike, this doesn't break the BoP.)

As part of the celebrations we were treated to this flypast:

spacer.png

It had been announced that the Red Arrows would be involved but the appearance of Concorde was a complete surprise!

• Like 4

Cleaning up my airbrush after priming an Airfix Vampire T.11, I heard the sound of a piston-engined aircraft that didn't seem familiar. I rushed outside just in time to see the unmistakable shape of a Beechcraft Bonanza disappear out of view.

I don't get to see many Bonanzas these days and it's a shame, as they're quite an attractive aeroplane.

Cheers,

Mark.

I am just north eats of Athens for a conference this weekend  and the Red Arrows have begun their 5-week training manoeuvres here in Greece.  I was able to watche them all fly around at low altitudes and do some fun stunts over the bay the other day.  Sorry for the quality of the images...I only had my phone handy!  Plus, I didn't get any pics with the whole 8 aircraft, just 5...

spacer.png

spacer.png

--John

• Like 1

About 16.05 an Atlas came over heading towards Leeds-Bradford. Last few days a Piaggo Avanti has been trundling around, don't see them that often. 

• Like 1