What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Wednesday afternoon, unmistakable shape of a B-52 at a medium altitude over March, Cambs. heading in a westerly direction. Always an impressive sight.

Just found out there is a deployment of approx six B-52's to Fairford. A bit too far away for me to pop over for a look. Maybe someone will post a few pictures.........

Yesterday's glorious weather brought out a host of butterflies. I saw several peacocks (most of which looked quite ragged from their hibernation), a red admiral, a couple of large whites but most numerous were the brimstones, their sulphurous green-yellow looking almost fluorescent in the bright sunlight.

I also noticed what I'm pretty sure was a Luscombe Silvaire, an attractive, high wing monoplane in green with gold trim and registration. 

Whilst my my head was tilted upwards, I couldn't help but notice that the sky was the most beautiful shade of blue I'd ever seen. 

• Like 1

Sitting out in the garden on a sparkling early spring morning reading my copy of Aeroplane and enjoying a cappuccino. There was a familiar sound overhead. At first I thought it was the local aeroclub Cessna Hawk XP. But no it is a Reims Rocket of the Irish Air Corps circling overhead the city. 

It was a regular sight a few years ago flying topcover for who knows what but not lately. 

The Reims Rockets entered service 47 years ago but are about to be pensioned off soon. They're the last piston engined aircraft in Air Corps service. So end of an era. 

I wonder if they'll be sold on the civilian market? They would be relatively cheap warbirds. They even had rocket rails at one point. 

Edited by noelh

My wife reported to me earlier this evening of two possibly three fast jets flying west to east LOW over West Sussex near the Horsham area below the Gatwick zone. at around 5:10 pm today (28.03/19)   Is there anyone here on BM  living along this route who may have seen them??

The only kind of description she could give me was the tail area had lots of 'pointy upright bits stickin out' that I take to be tail fin or fins. She did say she thought they could have been F-15( the only one she could think of).

Can anyone help??

• 2 weeks later...

Found out with regard to my post above(1654) on what my wife saw the other week, they were a pair of Eagles. All part of some NATO Exercise. They were mentioned in my local paper last week.

The po-po (as I believe the young people say). They've been circling overhead for quite some time now, even had a ground unit searching nearby. Just heard that an eight year old kid has gone missing from a neighbouring village and that the police are everywhere. I hope they find them safe and well.

Not at home but near work, a Westland Wasp then later one of Boultbee Aviation's Spitfires, both were heading east from Lee on Solent towards Goodwood.

We often see the Spitfires so for once, they weren't the rarity.

Edited by Wez

Not exactly over the house but was sitting enjoying a glass of chilled white and some Tapas at the sea shore cantina in Puerto Pollença, Majorca this afternoon when the noise of aero engines starting up penetrated my consciousness. Funny I thought as Palma airport is a long way off across the island and that’s like, almost next door. 

A look up from the grub spotted a Canadair CL-415 making its way down the slip into the bay. It proceeded to take off and circle round presumably on a training flight for about an hour. It alighted back and after a short while out of the water (refuelling?) it took off again and headed off. I am guessing the massive shore side building is a hanger. 

Nice to see it while enjoying sea, sun and a holiday late lunch. Especially as I have seen Catalinas and other floaty types flying but never a water take off and landing before. Got some average iPhone pics and second take off on video. 

Back tomorrow courtesy of Jet2. 

• Like 1

Of late, had a gaggle of military copters of late and the occasional flight in and out of Gamston airport, which is about 3 miles away.

However I worked on a nightshift, finishing on the morning of the flypast for the 75th of the crew of "Mi Amigoes" at Sheffield.  I didn't go to bed when I got home though, I stayed up for an hour or so to watch the form up.

• 2 weeks later...

At 0745 I was checking the electric fencing around one of our fields before putting the horses out into it when I heard a vaguely fomiliar noise behind me and as it got louder I realised what it was and turned around to see a hot air balloon at about 150m being carried along on the SW wind, so I waved and shouted ' bonjour '. The dogs were not so pleased to see it, the youngster was terrified and the other two got angry and told it to go away in no uncertain terms.

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Yesterday we had a Spitfire T.9 come over quite low, plus a silver-painted Chipmunk a few minutes later.

Wow! Lucky lucky..I’ve seen a real spitfire once flying in my life and was last year at Ambleside, heard it before we saw it, entire group was amazed....swiftly followed by something else, then a Lancaster! What a treat 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago over downtown Tallinn.

It's the Estonian Defence Forces Veterans Day today and the Army Air Corps did a neat little flypast in honour of the fallen or wounded Estonian comrades that stood alongside us in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Flew right over our apartment

fullsizeoutput_1176

fullsizeoutput_1177

• Like 4

The most recent thing to fly over the flat today was a medevac helicopter after a house exploded on the other side of town. The house owner had to jump from an upper storey window onto a fire brigade airbag, and was then airlifted to hospital.

I live under the flight path from and to Old Sarum Airfield. 

Most days I see a Tiger Moth, giving air experience flights, at the weekend they had both flying. Two Tiger Moths, brightly painted and flying in formation at about 700ft is a wonderful sight. 

Yesterday there was a Chipmunk, silver and with RAF markings. 

• Like 2

In a rare low'ish level appearance by the RAF over this part of the country had either one pair of Hawks twice or two pairs of Hawks five minutes apart once flying north to south before banking north-west and heading inland.