What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Not over the house, but over the field where our horse lives, I see all sorts of light aircraft as it is on the flight path in and out of Old Sarum AND regularly pairs of Apaches returning to Middle Wallop. 

Yesterday at about 5pm a pair flying in formation flying from the SW. 

Also, and increasingly rarely, Boscombe Down based a/c. 

In the Scottish Borders and beggar all apart from a Tucano yesterday afternoon. Used to be busy with Harriers, Jaguars, Hawks and Tornados, all fairly low with a couple of F15Es for good measure. Get more around Leeds-Bradford these days. 

Having heard a helicopter sound I wasn't familiar with, I looked outside only to spot something obviously Russian. I got a pretty good view of it: contra-rotating rotors (which explains the unusual sound), red and white scheme, some kind of "pad" around the wheels and definitely a Kamov design.

I had a look on ADS-B and it's a Ka-32, HB-XKE to be precise. I'm quite flabbergasted! I've never seen anything like that before!

• Like 1

Heard but not seen despite the clear blue skies today a pair of Tucanos doing aerobatics from the sound of their engines rising and falling.

Passes for great excitement in a part of the country where days like this would formerly have seen non-stop low-level fast jet transits and exercises.

ZJ213, or HUNTER 02 as it likes to be known, has just flown over, on its way from Wattisham to wherever it goes*. Looks like ZJ179 is on its way any time now.

* I decided to follow ZJ179 and it looks like it's heading for Salisbury Plain. I'll update as things progress.

Exciting, eh?

Edited by lasermonkey
added information

On Wednesday a Tornado pair came over in the general direction of Leeds-Bradford,  a bit lower and noisier than usual. Wonder if the Lightnings will ever do the same as we have the odd Typhoon and regular transport and trainer visitors. 

• Like 1

Day after Veterans day and 3 Navy Super Hornets had been circling over my house for about 50 mins or so. Took me forever to post a pic as I running outside every time the passed over. My cel phone camera is just not up to the task, those planes are much closer that in looks in the photo, as I could see the pilots heads.  The air is somewhat smokey so when they finally landed at Moffett, their landing lights projected a bean through the haze..

CS9JpfF.jpg

Edited by j-fever
  • Like 1

I regularly get an Alouette II over my place at late mid mornings on weekends. Ex British Army. I think it might be re 2-ALOU.   I can't find any other on the net that are mentioned as airworthy. Quite noisy but distinctive. (PS:Not bothered by the noise.... )

• 3 weeks later...