What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

On 7/8/2018 at 1:14 PM, Meatbox8 said:

Just now a bit of an odd one.  What looked like two Mirages of Rafales (deltas anyway) in formation with some sort of white biz jet (Armee De L'Air Falcon?) and something that looked remarkably like a Short Skyvan, all heading East along the Dorset coast. 

Yesterday, while I was in the bath, I heard the distinctive sound of a Wocca very low right over the house.  Girlfriend witnessed it and told me it was flying in formation with a white, twin-engined aircraft with some sort of spoiler at the rear.  Any ideas?  Apparently the Chinook was maneouvering around the other aircraft quite vigorously.  I was wondering if the other aircraft was some sort of camera ship. 

Sounds like these guys: Aviation Photocrew

V22 stooging around over the house about 17:00.  On a short hop from Brize to Fairford.  Did half a dozen circuits before finally landing at FF and promptly coming back.  Think it was waiting for the Italian aerobatic team to finish their practice.

Grainy video here and some unimpressive stills in the same album.  Am really going to have to buy a better camera cos those images don't convey how low it was.

Edited by TheLurker
typo
  • Like 1

Irish Aer Corps Augusta Westland AW139 shuttling back and forth to Baldonnel for fuel.  The aircraft is toting a 1,200 Bambi bag to fight the fire raging on Bray Head.  So far he has shuttled for fuel at least four times this afternoon...  Might try to catch pictures later...

Odd one: about 5 minutes ago, near Cheltenham, heading south, a biplane in what looked like bleached linen with WW1 roundels at mid-span.  It circled once, possibly over the old airfield at Stoke Orchard (but that was a WW2 airfield).   Thought BE2c but the wings had swept tips.  Thought BE2e but wings were of equal span.  Thought also Tiger Moth in film colours but a TM has squarer wingtip than I thought I saw.  Didn't think Shuttleworth let their precious babies beyond the airfield confines.

So what was it?  NB It was possibly on way to IAT for 100 Years of RAF celebrations: if it turns up there, please tell me what it was.

All silver B-25 letting down into Fernberger three minutes ago.

And now some two seat red jet trainers just made a very low pass heading towards Blackbushe. Can't see much modelling getting done this morning.

Edited by chris57

19 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Odd one: about 5 minutes ago, near Cheltenham, heading south, a biplane in what looked like bleached linen with WW1 roundels at mid-span.  It circled once, possibly over the old airfield at Stoke Orchard (but that was a WW2 airfield).   Thought BE2c but the wings had swept tips.  Thought BE2e but wings were of equal span.  Thought also Tiger Moth in film colours but a TM has squarer wingtip than I thought I saw.  Didn't think Shuttleworth let their precious babies beyond the airfield confines.

So what was it?  NB It was possibly on way to IAT for 100 Years of RAF celebrations: if it turns up there, please tell me what it was.

I wonder if it might have been a Stampe SV.4?

7 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I wonder if it might have been a Stampe SV.4?

Pretty sure it wasn't.  If it was, it was making a pretty determined effort at looking like a WW1 biplane.  Also a Stampe has wing sweepback (as does the Tiger Moth now I think about it): this one didn't.  Also wingtips of wrong shape.  And I think a Stampe's engine would have sounded a bit beefier. 

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, FalkeEins said:

Three (what looked like) Broussards arrived from across the Channel, circled the BoB memorial at Capel then (presumably) headed for Dx and Legends ?

I caught them whilst I was on the M25  yesterday. Line a stern.

Dick

• Like 1

they've just gone back over, heading out over the Channel, going back home no doubt. Didn't know that there were three airworthy Broussards tbh, anyone get a pic or two at Legends plse?

Just had a large four engine (piston) low wing aircraft that looked like a c-54 fly over my house in welwyn garden city .I didnt know any still flew,could it have been one or is there anything else that looks similar flying in the uk?

This Harvard (SNJ?) was circling around earlier. It never came particularly close, but made one hell of a racket anyway!

28625539647_50783d15ba_b.jpg

42795218144_e576f130a7_b.jpg

..plus a few other things that have flown over recently...

no idea what this is!

28625539107_7fe775c61d_b.jpg

..a Miles Magister from Old Warden..

28625538017_870eeffbd4_b.jpg

..and a very frequent visitor...

28625537257_3f4c6f4075_b.jpg

28625536017_a00a2c42d6_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

10 mins ago 4 x F-15s (I heard that distinctive howl) going south west and then the applied power so assumed climbing. Now I assume it's them returning going north east plenty of noise at a height that I can only hear them.

Edited by speedy
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, fatalbert said:

Just had a large four engine (piston) low wing aircraft that looked like a c-54 fly over my house in welwyn garden city .I didnt know any still flew,could it have been one or is there anything else that looks similar flying in the uk?

Could be a DC-6? I think there is still one airworthy example in the UK which is available for private charter.

Allan

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, fatalbert said:

It was indeed a DC-6, the Red Bull (OE-LDM) one that attended Flying Legends last weekend and then went on a low(ish) level 'tour' of several airfields this week.

Edited by wamwig
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, fatalbert said:

Oh wow,thanks guys,I've never seen one before,I got to say she sounded lovely.☺

40 minutes ago, fatalbert said:

Oh wow,thanks guys,I've never seen one before,I got to say she sounded lovely.☺

They sound wonderful. Many years back the Air Atlantique DC-6s based at Coventry were regular visitors to Edinburgh doing freight runs. Unfortunately, they tended to arrive and depart at very silly times so, actually getting to see one was quite difficult. I was fortunate enough to be at Coventry Airshow in 2003 - they had a couple of 6s in the flying display

Allan

• Like 1

A P38 Lightning and F4U Corsair (?) in formation flying south east over Pulborough, West Sussex about 15 minutes ago - possibly going to Shoreham? Anybody got any further info?

Cheers,

John