What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Apart from the usual Culdrose stuff, two NH-90’s going West to East over Falmouth bay. 

Lastnights treat was two low flying Chinooks going to Culdrose.

About 5.30pm an Atlas did three approaches into LBA and on two occasions came directly over the house on turning onto finals, made a nice change to the Ryanair, Jet2, Flybe and EasyJet stuff that had been coming in during the afternoon 

• Like 1

de Havillands. Lots and lots of de Havillands. The de Havilland charity fly-in is on at the Shuttleworth Collection this weekend and it's no exaggeration when I say that there's a Tiger Moth, Chipmunk, Hornet moth or something equally as welcome flying over every couple of minutes.

I took the opportunity to nip over to Old Warden to take a few pics. These are a few of the ones taken with my DSLR. The others I need to get off the other camera.

42080085005_c939dd61d8_b.jpg

42080089195_88a0d16a76_b.jpg

42080082055_2272fe3a27_b.jpg

42932182932_60b5d2419e_b.jpg

This one veered alarmingly to starboard upon getting airborne. You can see the start of the turn in the pic above.

42080111305_6ce69b7033_b.jpg

29109314838_0d395c2415_b.jpg

42981417301_49dd11128c_b.jpg

The BBMF's Dakota did a cheeky fly-by....

42263153044_c6e7d20bc7_b.jpg

41171568590_72ee23805b_b.jpg

I've managed to take a few pics as things have flown over my house this afternoon, which I'll post later. Once I have the pics from my other camera I'll post a separate thread for them.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Here's a few shots taken from the garden this afternoon. It was hard work, sitting in the shade, nursing a pint of IPA, but someone had to do it!

While it's fair to say that this doesn't happen every day, it does give an idea of what might be seen throughout the summer.

DH84 Dragon. This is a rare visitor.

42937263902_e5c677963d_b.jpg

DH84 Dragon Rapide. We see a fair few of these here.

29114607588_ba5d56a401_b.jpg

Tiger Moths are very frequent around these parts and very welcome!

41176887300_5672917824_b.jpg

42937274282_db0c32a567_b.jpg

42937269852_8d6f9cc233_b.jpg

29114641228_8db2080647_b.jpg

29114640048_6335a3b3f8_b.jpg

a cheeky Chipmunk. Again, we get lots of these.

42085311015_87c5fb33d0_b.jpg

a few Hornet Moths:

42085306545_ae3a092a8f_b.jpg

42085315795_4e1b5c14ff_b.jpg

42268474914_d61edc4715_b.jpg

A Magister, which was fairly distant...

42268469254_d50a4e2be8_b.jpg

this microlight. We have a microlight airfield nearly, so there's nearly always one around!

42085318725_f5e8648199_b.jpg

..an Apache Longbow. These fly past most days. This one was unusually high up. They often come past very low indeed!

42937263282_c862fa3ce5_b.jpg

..a Fw 44. I've seen maybe two or three before, but never over my house.

29114634588_35fa35b3fe_b.jpg

Not bad for an afternoon's lazing about!

Cheers,

Mark.

29114638058_eef3608e2b_b.jpg

• Like 4

Apparently its a 3-day Armed forces weekend at Cleethorpes starting today which. I have been told, is the RAF's only public flying display of note marking it 100th anniversary.

The weather forecast is exceptional for such that will bring in the crowds, which is all the more reason I wont be going to the seafront but will try catch anything that comes over the house ???

I was driving the self propelled house on wheels to a new location today on the Douarnenez Bay, as we drove along the D765 I spotted either a Connie or a Super Connie over the hedge in someone's front garden, it was in Air France livery looking somewhat down at heel which was a shame, MrsWez's contribution was "look, its a plane... . ..don't get any ideas"!

Later, whilst sat having lunch, we were oveflown by an Aeronavale Dauphin looking very attractive in the dark grey and dayglo orange scheme.

Sorry for the late posting but about 22:15 last night chicago time. I witnessed two planes very likely military flying formation from east - west. Altitude was unknown  and there was zero sound eminating from the aircraft so possibly high ? Time to cross the sky from east-west was 3-4 minutes. They also maneuvered to avoid a commercial airliner climbing out of O’hare Int’l airport.  The formation was in standard military pairing. The wingman was about 1/2 - 3/4’s mile apart and following on the starboard wing of the lead aircraft. 

Dennis

5 hours ago, Wez said:

I was driving the self propelled house on wheels to a new location today on the Douarnenez Bay, as we drove along the D765 I spotted either a Connie or a Super Connie over the hedge in someone's front garden, it was in Air France livery looking somewhat down at heel which was a shame, MrsWez's contribution was "look, its a plane... . ..don't get any ideas"!

Later, whilst sat having lunch, we were oveflown by an Aeronavale Dauphin looking very attractive in the dark grey and dayglo orange scheme.

Sounds like this one: http://www.conniesurvivors.com/F-BHBG.htm

Looks like it's in need of some TLC indeed.

• Thanks 1

We have an aeroplane spotting Jack Russell Terrier.  I suppose she has learned it off us but as soon as you hear a low flying aircraft anywhere near the house watch out!  

You are are likely to be passed by a supersonic JRT heading to the garden.  She stops in the middle of the garden looking up watching for the aeroplane passing over head....

2 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

We have an aeroplane spotting Jack Russell Terrier.  I suppose she has learned it off us but as soon as you hear a low flying aircraft anywhere near the house watch out!  

You are are likely to be passed by a supersonic JRT heading to the garden.  She stops in the middle of the garden looking up watching for the aeroplane passing over head....

I have a Jack Russell Terrorist, he's Jack coloured and shape but crossed with a Staffy and therefore much bigger than the average JRT. 

His speciality is pub spotting, he's getting on a bit and has arthritis so he plods quite slowly until he sees a pub, then his step picks up and he has much more spring in his step.

I can assure you that this behaviour has not been learned from me!

Very bright dogs Jack Russells!

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2018 at 6:22 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry for the late posting but about 22:15 last night chicago time. I witnessed two planes very likely military flying formation from east - west. Altitude was unknown  and there was zero sound eminating from the aircraft so possibly high ? Time to cross the sky from east-west was 3-4 minutes. They also maneuvered to avoid a commercial airliner climbing out of O’hare Int’l airport.  The formation was in standard military pairing. The wingman was about 1/2 - 3/4’s mile apart and following on the starboard wing of the lead aircraft. 

Dennis

Sounds like my sighting a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if they are F35s, new shape and sound in the skies?

Moving back in time, and at work, not the house, a Stearman has flown Ne-Sw and back again around lunchtime.

Don

• Like 1

Five minutes ago, A Spitfire and Lancaster in loose formation & quite low.

Heading West, 12 miles North of Lincoln and following the A631.

I called my Son in Gainsborough & he saw them overhead.

• Like 1

Not over my house, but over my holiday destination.

We´re taking a long weekend in the south east of the Czech Republic quite close to the Austrian border. Yesterday a Pilatus PC-21 did a couple of passes over the area and then shot off relatively low in the direction of the local reservoir.

It was blue and white and looked not unlike the scheme going on the aircraft destined for the French air force. I figure it must have been out for some test flying or something. As far as I know, Austria doesn´t have the type in servce so the next logical place to see one in this part of the world from is Switzerland itself.

It was my first time seeing a PC-21 in real life and I have to say I was quite impressed by how swift it was moving and how quiet it was. I hope to see one at a show sometime.

Avro Anson (C.19) heading NW towards Yeovilton.  A beautiful noise. 

Just now a bit of an odd one.  What looked like two Mirages of Rafales (deltas anyway) in formation with some sort of white biz jet (Armee De L'Air Falcon?) and something that looked remarkably like a Short Skyvan, all heading East along the Dorset coast. 

Yesterday, while I was in the bath, I heard the distinctive sound of a Wocca very low right over the house.  Girlfriend witnessed it and told me it was flying in formation with a white, twin-engined aircraft with some sort of spoiler at the rear.  Any ideas?  Apparently the Chinook was maneouvering around the other aircraft quite vigorously.  I was wondering if the other aircraft was some sort of camera ship. 

• Like 1

A C47 in the Wellington area this morning dark green with  DDay stripes around 12.30 - BBMF??. Does anyone have any idea of where it was going?

John

About 10 minutes ago, heard something coming while I was in the barn and rushed out just in time to see a pair of Mirage 2000s heading west at an unusually high altitude of about 2000ft. Lots of vortices streaming from the wings as they turned.

16 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

In complete contrast to yesterday, a Golden Oriole We hear them a lot at this time of year, they sound like they belong in a rain forest, but this is the first time I've actually seen one.

That's one I have wanted to see for a long time. They are quite rare in the UK, but used to be seen at Lakenheath Fen. My wife heard one there a few years ago but never saw it. She described it as sounding like, and I quote, "a clanger in a bucket."

• Like 1