What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Some kind of gyrocopter sounding and looking like a demented and loud bumble bee. The pilot obviously taking advantage of the bank holiday weekend blue skies to commit aviation. No idea where it came from but there are a couple of private strips in the vicinity.

1 hour ago, noelh said:

Some kind of gyrocopter sounding and looking like a demented and loud bumble bee. The pilot obviously taking advantage of the bank holiday weekend blue skies to commit aviation. No idea where it came from but there are a couple of private strips in the vicinity.

An autogyro flew high over the abode this afternoon, followed shortly by a couple of AH-64Ds at a much lower altitude. I don't think there was any connection!

16 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

An autogyro flew high over the abode this afternoon, followed shortly by a couple of AH-64Ds at a much lower altitude. I don't think there was any connection!

Now that would be interesting. Never saw an Apache. As it happens the autogyro was followed by a Coastguard S92. Bad news for somebody.

Edited by noelh

36 minutes ago, noelh said:

Now that would be interesting. Never saw an Apache. As it happens the autogyro was followed by a Coastguard S92. Bad news for somebody.

My place of work is an excellent place for spotting aircraft. One particular cluster of offices in the complex has a very distinctive profile from the air and a lot of air traffic seems to use this as a convenient waypoint. Not that I'm complaining.

On occasion, ring-shaped and figure-eight contrail patterns drift across the Rhine to where I can see them. This is probably someone out of Ramstein on a post-service flight or a wazzex. I daren't spend too much time on Flightradar24 at work to check!

2 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

My place of work is an excellent place for spotting aircraft. One particular cluster of offices in the complex has a very distinctive profile from the air and a lot of air traffic seems to use this as a convenient waypoint. 

Some places are.  I often used certain buildings as a waypoint. On the other hand some people think their spot is being used as such. When I was skydive flying a farmer complained to the aviation authority that his farm was being used as a waypoint. I had no idea where it was and said so. I also pointed out that he didn't need to call the authorities. Just call us. Tell us where he was and we'd stay away. We're not aerial terrorists. 

Anyway where I live now is dead quiet mostly but we often have the North Atlantic tracks overhead. So I crank up Flight Radar 24 and dream of exotic destinations.

Tucano...well pretty sure it was fast turbo prop ....me109 wings not sure whatelse it could flying from the SW from Dorzet heading NE....funny time 1900 on a friday 4th May

Just now, junglierating said:

Tucano...well pretty sure it was fast turbo prop ....me109 wings not sure whatelse it could flying from the SW from Dorzet heading NE....funny time 1900 on a friday 4th May Yeovil

Although I heard it a great deal more than I saw it, I did manage to spot the  Typhoon heading back to Conningsby after opening the airshow season at Old Warden. It had the red 100 years tail markings.

It's not quiet, is it? 😲

Broussard. It flew over yesterday, and the ironic things is, as I was typing this just now, it flew over again. I can never get my camera in time.

John.

There was a wee grass fire at the edge of the trees, a few hundred yards south of the house this afternoon.

28115664848_f2e517127d_b.jpg

28115664858_9f99af6d66_b.jpg

41953468282_8f1fe49d98_b.jpg

41953468352_f3c1076096_b.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

Not actually over my house but at the home of British aviation down in the valley a flying display was taking place yesterday afternoon. An aerobatic team were displaying over the airfield complete with "Smoke On". Can only think it was 100th Anniversary related with the FAST museum.

7 hours ago, Britman said:

Nice catch Chris, is that Air Spray?

Not sure. I couldn't get a good shot of the side of the fuselage. If I have the chance in the near future, I may pop out to the airport and do a recce.

Chris

Last Monday lunchtime I was in Bangor (North Wales) and saw in the distance what looked like a silver Chipmunk with Dayglo. Any takers?

Trevor