What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Yesterday, 8th Feb I heard the distinctive whir of a Sea King - a once common and sadly missed sound here in west Dorset.  Thinking it must be a Mk7, a type I've never seen here, it went over very low and turned out to be a HU.5 in the classic 771 squadron markings of grey and day glo, heading East.  I thought 771 had been disbanded so this was quite a surprise.   Is the FAA keeping a secret stash of aircraft for emergencies? I used to see 771's Sea Kings regularly until the coastguard took over the ASR role from the Navy and RAF so it was quite a treat to see this aircraft.  Anyone have any idea what it was up to? 

36 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Yesterday, 8th Feb I heard the distinctive whir of a Sea King - a once common and sadly missed sound here in west Dorset.  Thinking it must be a Mk7, a type I've never seen here, it went over very low and turned out to be a HU.5 in the classic 771 squadron markings of grey and day glo, heading East.  I thought 771 had been disbanded so this was quite a surprise.   Is the FAA keeping a secret stash of aircraft for emergencies? I used to see 771's Sea Kings regularly until the coastguard took over the ASR role from the Navy and RAF so it was quite a treat to see this aircraft.  Anyone have any idea what it was up to? 

It was reported on South Today on Wednesday, it's a private company doing SAR training out of Portland using the old naval airfield.

The cabs are leased from Pugwash.

They're currently training some German crews.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wez said:

It was reported on South Today on Wednesday, it's a private company doing SAR training out of Portland using the old naval airfield.

The cabs are leased from Pugwash.

They're currently training some German crews.

Thanks.  So there's life in the old dogs yet.

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

One of these, perhaps actually even this one:

36271591693_32faa742d8_b.jpg

Ah ha!  That look suspiciously like it. yes.  It was going at quite a pace and it was a bit misty, hence my misidentification re: markings.  Nice to see they are being put to good use.  I wonder if any enterprising decal manufacturer has clocked it. 

RAF Puma, overall green, at about 2000ft in a clear blue sky flying W-E alog the Ochil hills.

A rare treat these days!

• Like 1

Couple of RAF Tornado's, one over me head, his mate about two miles distant in combat spread.

Hight....................I'll paraphrase Rolls-Royce (cars) "sufficient for the job in hand" I'm 650' up a hill!!  :analintruder:

Makes a change from Eagles from da 'Heath at around the 1200' AMSL

Paul

Had a C-130 circling us for hour's yesterday, came in low , 1000 feet or less. Musta been a training exercise, kept touching down and takeing off again. Fort Hachuca is only 40 miles from us and the local airport here in Douglas AZ. is only 4 or 5 miles  from my front door.

We also get A-10's flying over occasionally. Davis-Mothan airbase is only 100 miles N. E. of us

• Like 1

This morning an RAF Globemaster doing practice approaches into LBA and about five minutes ago two Apaches in quite close formation circling around Rothwell/Woodlesford/Stourton before heading west. They were quite low. 

Sounded like another Apache flew over just a few minutes ago, though I didn't see it.

There's been precious little of interest over the past few months. Hopefully, with the start of the air display season not too distant, I'll have plenty of stuff from Shuttleworth to look at before too long.

I was visiting Charlecote House near Warwick this afternoon making use of my National Trust membership when I heard an unusual noise as I was walking the gardens. Low and behold, low and slow was a JP and an L-29 in formation! I couldn’t make out the exact mark of JP as the Delfin was between me and it. Not seen  JP in years and that was my first L-29.

Trevor

Yesterday afternoon, over Tallinn city centre, adjacent to our apartment.

Estonian Border Guard Let 410 Turbolet

Estonian Air Force Aero L-39C Albatross x 2

Italian Air Force Typhoon Eurofighters x 3

US ANG (Ohio) F-16C Block 40s x 10 (2 x 4 Ships and 1 x 2 Ship)

All involved in the Estonian Independence Day centenary celebrations.