What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

At 15.30 today I was in the kitchen and heard something approaching. I got to the door just in time to see 2xMirage 2000s disappearing into the distance and as I turned to go back indoors another two roared over banked about 60deg and pulling hard. I swear I saw a light coloured helmet in the last one which went right over the top of me at about 150ft and I could hear the vortices for a couple of seconds after they had passed.  Definitely the lowest I've seen outside an air display, it made my adrenalin pump although SWMBO wasn't too pleased. 

Not exactly over the house, but other with the walking group on Monday on the edge of Church Fenton airfield when a diamond nine formation of Tucanos come over twice with singleton above and to one side of them. Practising for their retirement parade away from Linton? 

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a first for me.

No time to grab my camera but a few minutes ago had a bright orange Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane at low level following the River South Esk from inland and then north along the coast skirting the edge of Montrose , amazingly quite and looking very much like a giant dragonfly in flight  ....... almost made me regret selling my Revell kit with the Erikson decals last month

While out for our Sunday afternoon walk a very low ex French Max Holste Broussard came very low over us seem to be following the A1136 probably operating out of. Humberside Airport nice sight and sound.

Regards

Craig

On 07/01/2018 at 1:03 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Antonov 12; get one or two a week; amazing how loud they are; hear a very loud prop drone, but even on clear day they are so high up spotting them is a task.

Do you live anywhere near Doncaster Robin Hood as they seem to come and out of there a lot and seem to go over us  on a regular basis. Today, heard two and according to Flightradar24, one was off to Prestwick and one to Gothenburg. I have only caught sight of them once, but the engine note is very distinctive and carries. The one I have heard about 10 mins ago was over Wakefield at 13,000ft and I live about six and half miles away.  Any idea what they are carrying? 

Edited by Martin T
Added questions.

21 hours ago, Martin T said:

Do you live anywhere near Doncaster Robin Hood as they seem to come and out of there a lot and seem to go over us  on a regular basis. Today, heard two and according to Flightradar24, one was off to Prestwick and one to Gothenburg. I have only caught sight of them once, but the engine note is very distinctive and carries. The one I have heard about 10 mins ago was over Wakefield at 13,000ft and I live about six and half miles away.  Any idea what they are carrying? 

Nope, I’m down in Kent, normally go over at much higher altitude, that one last week was on Flightradar at 21k ft, think ones just gone over now though that one didn’t appear on the tracker

On 1/4/2018 at 12:47 PM, Des said:

Definitely a first for me.

No time to grab my camera but a few minutes ago had a bright orange Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane at low level following the River South Esk from inland and then north along the coast skirting the edge of Montrose , amazingly quite and looking very much like a giant dragonfly in flight  ....... almost made me regret selling my Revell kit with the Erikson decals last month

That will be the one currently working with Balfour Beatty helping erect pylons up in Glenfiddich Forest.  Scimitar posted up a picture a few days ago; the machine is based  not far from Keith.

John B

2 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

That will be the one currently working with Balfour Beatty helping erect pylons up in Glenfiddich Forest.  Scimitar posted up a picture a few days ago; the machine is based  not far from Keith.

John B

Yes that is the one , hopefully will catch it when it returns for breaking down and shipping out of the country

Edited by Des
missed capital

11 hours ago, Des said:

Yes that is the one , hopefully will catch it when it returns for breaking down and shipping out of the country

Last I heard there was delay in the helilift operation while a minor hiccup in the supplied materials was sorted out. That may mean it going on for some days beyond the expected end date.

Edited by John B (Sc)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 10:46 AM, John B (Sc) said:

Last I heard there was delay in the helilift operation while a minor hiccup in the supplied materials was sorted out. That may mean it going on for some days beyond the expected end date.

And further update, Friday 26th January. Helicopter is still there, SE of Keith. Just been past the site.

John B