What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Living under the main East/West transatlantic airways and near some of the approach paths for Bristol and Cardiff there's the usual airliner fare. However also being near the Severn Estuary the military seem to use the river, the two bridges and the M4 as landmarks. You can imagine the Nav' briefing to Brize: 'go up the wet stuff and turn right at the bridges. follow the M4 then turn left just past Swindon' :lol:. At 11:30 Saturday morning this beastie went over at about 6-7000 feet, presumably doing just that:

ffb39651-a847-4fa6-9388-865e9a11f139.jpg

Taken with my 500mm lens cropped at 100% to 1650x1150 pixels. This was also a test for using Village Photo, which seems to have been quite successful...

Jonathan

• Like 3

That will be ZZ172 that was being used for pleasure flights as a part of 99 Sqn Families Day yesterday - it did 3 flights out of Brize taking the same flightpath. I was lucky enough to have been on the third wave which would probably have been over you at around 15.00 ish. Fantastic photo by the way!

15 hours ago, Pau H said:

That will be ZZ172 that was being used for pleasure flights as a part of 99 Sqn Families Day yesterday - it did 3 flights out of Brize taking the same flightpath. I was lucky enough to have been on the third wave which would probably have been over you at around 15.00 ish. Fantastic photo by the way!

Thanks Paul, that explains a lot. I hope you had a great day and flight. I wouldn't have seen your afternoon fly-over, I was lucky to catch the C-17 as almost solid cloud cover came over not long afterwards rendering any overflight photography impossible for the rest of the day.

The lens is fabulous, I had a significant birthday last year so treated myself to a new camera and pair of lenses; this is a 200-500mm zoom and by using the DX crop function for the sensor gives me an effective focal length of 750mm. Given the right light conditions, angles and altitude, sometimes you can read the under wing registrations on the airliners! Most of the time the military traffic is frustratingly just out of range for decent pictures though. A few weeks ago the Red Arrows went over and I got a great shot of a neighbour's TV aerial with some blurry Hawk shaped red blobs! 

• Like 1

More excitement over the West Dorset coast this morning.  Either a USN Greyhound or an Osprey (it is very hazy but my first thought was Greyhound) flying in formation with a Typhoon at very low speed heading East along the coast.  Typhoon in a AAR position, nose up - tail down.  I wonder if this is what the MOD meant when they said they were exploring AAR for F-35Bs at sea? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

While I was in my man cave  at 3PM I heard something coming and rushed out to see a Mirage 2000 pop up over the trees then follow the down slope heading west.

Hmm you live in france dontchu.....might to think about future plans.....now how do I get an Irish passport

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

As I was watching a pair of buzzards wheeling around high overhead, two Chipmunks in close formation flew by, underneath the buzzards, by quite some margin too!

I didn't see it but I KNOW a seagull flew over my parked car this morning!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Hmm you live in france dontchu.....might to think about future plans.....now how do I get an Irish passport

You could always join the Legion Etrangere for 10 years.

• Like 1

I know this may seem to be strange (not least for the description) but I saw three swing wing jets with twin tailfins fly over in formation with a straight-winged twin prop plane that looked like a Shorts Skyvan - this seemed to have a radome of sorts on the nose. The jets seemed to have a hitch flying so slowly! They flew in an arc over the Forest of Dean, over towards Gloucester, then came back and looked to be doing the same, but the jets finally flew off towards the Midlands one by one, and the prop plane went into cloud, and presumably emerged later out of my sight.

My modern(ish) aircraft recognition is not quite as good as my WW1 and WW2 recognition, sorry!

Ray

14 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I know this may seem to be strange (not least for the description) but I saw three swing wing jets with twin tailfins fly over in formation with a straight-winged twin prop plane that looked like a Shorts Skyvan - this seemed to have a radome of sorts on the nose. The jets seemed to have a hitch flying so slowly! They flew in an arc over the Forest of Dean, over towards Gloucester, then came back and looked to be doing the same, but the jets finally flew off towards the Midlands one by one, and the prop plane went into cloud, and presumably emerged later out of my sight.

My modern(ish) aircraft recognition is not quite as good as my WW1 and WW2 recognition, sorry!

Ray

Something doesn't add up there Ray, unless theres been an sneak attack by Iran, no way youd see a twin tailed Swing wing aircraft........

7 hours ago, Ray S said:

I know this may seem to be strange (not least for the description) but I saw three swing wing jets with twin tailfins fly over in formation with a straight-winged twin prop plane that looked like a Shorts Skyvan....

Ray

An F15 would have that sort of shape - swept back wings & twin fins.  There is, or was, a squadron East Anglia way.

The reason I dropped by.

Alenia C-27 (variant unknown)
Northrop-F5 (E) - Patrouille Suisse - The world's prettiest jet fighter, bar none.  Got to see most of their display as I was riding home.
Possible Short Skyvan

B52 on finals yesterday.

And to save time, electrons and me boring everyone rigid just "google" RIAT 2017 for a comprehensive list. :) 

Edited by TheLurker
Typo

Around 1500 today I was in Southwark Bridge Rd and was deafened by an RN Wildcat hovering over head. Was sat there for a good couple of minutes. Lots of people staring and having to shout over the noise it was so loud! If anyone knows what it was up to I'd luv to know

Yesterday on our late afternoon stroll.  

Video clip :   https://www.flickr.com/photos/41392773@N02/35783411512/in/album-72157685098106166/

Best I can do with a small point and click with only 5x optical zoom.  Weather conditions weren't ideal either.  Where's David Lean when you need him eh? :) 

After 3 years of going to events when the Lancaster was supposed to be flying, it flew over my house 5 minutes ago. Too low and fast for any photos but gosh, I finally saw her (for all of 2 seconds) :D

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 1