What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

A twin-engined, high-winged, light aircraft which I think might have been an Aero Commander. I had my bins with me, so I managed to get a reasonable look. It appeared to be a mid, blue-grey (although silver/NMF is perfectly possible) and had diagonal stripes on each wing. Whatever it was, it was quite pleasing to look at and had a vaguely medium bomber look about if from a distance.

Just now, a Catalina!

Flew right overhead then off to where I managed to grab this shot. A perfect day for flying and I suspect he did an orbit of Hobsonville airfield, which used to be the home of the Cats.

20170316_103801-1_zpswvk7babx.jpg

• Like 2

Today?  Same as most days.  A mixture of C130s, A400s, C17s and A330 Voyagers however I thought I saw an Apache (an AW I expect rather than a Boeing AH64) about 13:30.  The profile looked right, but it was a good way off and there was a bit of haze so am not 100% certain. Not impossible as we do get the odd one hereabouts.

• 2 weeks later...

Something very noisy, some kind of jet at medium/high altitude, checked flight radar and there was no traffic in the area, either it was a lagging a few minutes behind (as there was a380 on its way) or it was something military. Didn't sound like the 380's usually do so I think it likely to be military, like to know what but I suspect I will remain a mystery

Edited by PhantomBigStu

19 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Something very noisy, some kind of jet at medium/high altitude, checked flight radar and there was no traffic in the area, either it was a lagging a few minutes behind (as there was a380 on its way) or it was something military. Didn't sound like the 380's usually do so I think it likely to be military, like to know what but I suspect I will remain a mystery

Again something flew in the oppostie direction, nothing on flightradar that could have been it.....hmmm mystery deepens

Not over my house as such, but as part of my job a spend a number of days each month sailing up and down lake Windermere on the steamer M.V. Tern.

The last week seems to  have been particularly busy overhead

Including -

4 ship formation of tucanos

Sea king AEW

Airbus A400

C-130

Hawk T-1 and T-2

Typhoons

Tornados

Chinook

Squirrels

Gazelle

Lynx

Not a bad way to earn a living.

Phil

• Like 2

Had one of the new Wildcat helicopters go over Milnrow, Lancashire the other day, probably AAC heading for Dishforth or Catterick Training Area,..... first one I`ve seen and a lot quieter than a Lynx. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shatters said:

Not over my house as such, but as part of my job a spend a number of days each month sailing up and down lake Windermere on the steamer M.V. Tern.

The last week seems to  have been particularly busy overhead

Including -

4 ship formation of tucanos

Sea king AEW

Airbus A400

C-130

Hawk T-1 and T-2

Typhoons

Tornados

Chinook

Squirrels

Gazelle

Lynx

Not a bad way to earn a living.

Phil

Good job Phil....... the last time I was on one of the Windermere steamers I saw loads of Hawks,..... they come along the lake really low don`t they? Mind you, as a kid I was in a kayake in the middle of the lake when a pair of Dutch F-16`s came along so low that they were leaving a wake and tipped over two of the kayake`s,....brilliant!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Down in sunny Norfolk last week and was checking out the military aerial activity on ADS B Exchange on Thursday afternoon, picked up on Sentinel R1 (ZJ690) callsign "Firebird" heading our way and caught a snap on my phone as it carved a perfect 180 overhead at FL410 against a beautiful blue sky. 

298BF201-DE93-488B-913D-A3F123429465_zps

Not massively exciting but something we don't get at home!

About an hour later there was a Lufthansa 747-400 flew a big 270 turn dumping fuel! FR showed it having left Frankfurt so can only assume a medical diversion or tech defect, looked like it went to MAN or EMA.

Eng

Edited by eng
Poor grammar!
  • Like 1

Dug out a camera passed on to me by my wife when she upgraded a while ago, went down to 

my local for a play with it! Couple of locals at GLA:-

C92F101E-CA2C-4875-9A3D-EDA2ED7FDC37_zps

1BE3C8FE-7221-44FA-8F6C-488E1396CFC5_zps

2A0D0BE0-7B2B-4A7B-AF34-A4711C373A2A_zps

254509D6-3147-44D0-9F07-746BBE4A16FC_zps

Eng

• Like 1