What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Drove past Lakenheath area on way to and from Norwich on Friday and again yesterday but not a damn thing in sight! Caught a glimpse of a Tucano mooching around near Leeming, but was becoming disheartened at not seeing a single fast jet in 2 trips up and down the country......And then, just seconds off the A1 and onto the A66 at Scotch Corner my faith was restored with a belter of a pass from a GR.4 showing us her belly whilst right down in the weeds

Eng

Not so much as what is flying over my house, but what is flying under me! On our way back from Madrid yesterday we heard a NATO callsign on air, then saw one of these flying right under us just 1000ft below our level. I've never seen one of these from above before!!

The photo is not mine and is used here purely for information / display purposes to illustrate what it is I am talking about. I will remove it if it causes any offence to etc copyright holder.

12892.jpg

• Like 2

I've never seen one of these from above before!!

Had an AWACS doing circuits from Mildehall for about an hour this lunchtime. Must have been over quite low (and quite smokey) at least half a dozen times that I saw.

Grabbed a quick shot on my phone with no zoom

awacs_zpsqovfcpyo.jpg

Tonight, as I'm leaving work, an A400M Atlas on approach into Staverton.

Descending to about 1000feet - then climbed away, and turned back the way it had come.

https://twitter.com/b3alie/status/702564998514647040/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

And as I'm arriving back home a reasonably low C-17 Globemaster, heading for Brize Norton.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 1

Had the odd Chinook and Apache recently, however had a new visitor to the airspace over my house and workplace. I'm pretty sure it was an Sikorsky HH-60 Pave Hawk (either that or it was a regular Blackhawk with a refuelling boom). Loud bugger and looked soo cool! I now have a new love for the little beastie :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

At about 5.30pm an Osprey flew over going West towards Trowbridge then 10 mins later a Chinook flew Eastwards towards the A36/A303. Then tonight I've just watched 2 x F-15's going round and round below the cloud base so easy to follow the nav lights then on one circuit the afterburner was employed - all I'll say bloody brilliant.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone notice 5 commercial aircraft being held in a holding pattern off the coast of North Devon, all of them had come over from the States, also we had 3 Royal Navy Beechcraft flying around above Barnstaple area.

Cheers

Did anyone notice 5 commercial aircraft being held in a holding pattern off the coast of North Devon, all of them had come over from the States, also we had 3 Royal Navy Beechcraft flying around above Barnstaple area.

Cheers

Yes been watching them all morning. They were holding aircraft over Pembrokeshire too, delaying them by at least 90 minutes. I think fog in Heathrow has played havoc. I have an app on the phone, Planefinder, that shows their routes and tracks

Not much here in Edinburgh either but a mixture of fog and low cloud is of course getting in the way as usual. Good news is they are still using runway 24 and I just happen to live under the flight path!!. For anybody in the Edinburgh area, there should be a lot of extra movements tomorrow as there will a lot of extra charters in connection with the France v Scotland rugby match tomorrow.

Allan

That would certainly explain it Jasman 71 there was also an horrendous amount of air traffic over London at the time.

Cheers

Well about midday it was like the grand national starting as the USA-bound birds were waved off. There are usually a couple of routes they follow over us. Today they were all over the place, presumably trying to make up for the delays!

It certainly looked like it, I one of them I noticed had been several circuits, far more than the others, just on a different point, in FR24 i have been able to track Hawk jets, they usually have a dart shape on my phone, but no longer picking them up, watched one today, but never picked it up.Anyone else got this problem?

Chinook over Croydon about an hour ago also the last couple of days.

Guy

Another Chinook just passed over its becoming a daily thing now it seems.

Guy