What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Living at the end of the runway at RAF Lossiemouth i get more than my fair share of Typhoons and Tornados past the kitchen window. Visiting aircraft to the base way too numerous to mention. Never a dull moment!!

Hi everyone

Just in the middle of cleaning when I heard the sound of multiple engines.Dashed upstairs to grab a camera and then out into the garden. In the distance I saw 3 prop aircraft in formation, one then broke away - I identified this as an Extra. The other two did a little aerobtics before departing to the NW. I looked at the pics to see what they were. Seeing the markings my first thought was Yak 11s but the squared off wingtips seem wrong.

Could the BM collective please put me out of my misery? :)

PSX_20151031_143717_zpss20c40p2.jpg

Thank you! :)

Jim

PS I'm in Middleton-on-Sea, a little to the east of Bognor Regis

Over the last month or so, I've been lucky to be entertained by a Tiger moth, one of the 2 Jet Provosts from Gamston, the A400m and the Catalina G-PBSY. Other than that I'm almost under the approach for Gamston so plenty of GA stuff.

If it counts, at least 7 impromptu flypasts if the very lamented 558, one of the crew lives in the village where we keep a caravan, so often he would make a beeline on thier way in and out of Finningley(it's proper name!👍 was- is and always will be 🍻)

• 2 weeks later...

Before anybody freaks out, this is not a current photograph! It was taken on 1 July 1999, the day the Queen formally opened the new Scottish Parliament. It had been known in advance that the Red Arrows would be performing a fly-past, but the organisers surprised everyone by including Concorde as well. I came across the photo yesterday and decided to share it.

Concorde_Red_Arrows_2.jpg

• Like 3

I think I earned my gold spotters badge today. In my kitchen when I heard the drone of a turboprop above. "That sounds like an Antonov!" I declare, never having seen or heard one before.

Check Plane finder and sure enough it's an AN12! Even the wife was a little, begrudgingly, impressed!

• Like 1

Earlier today (well yesterday now), I saw a Chinook from my Living room window (back of my flat) heading North then start to turn inland. I phoned my Dad @ MJW Models HQ and asked him to look out of the window, and low and behold it was passing there, heading West inland....

thanks

Mike

Before anybody freaks out, this is not a current photograph! It was taken on 1 July 1999, the day the Queen formally opened the new Scottish Parliament. It had been known in advance that the Red Arrows would be performing a fly-past, but the organisers surprised everyone by including Concorde as well. I came across the photo yesterday and decided to share it.

Concorde_Red_Arrows_2.jpg

I nearly burst into tears when I saw this picture Gordon.

All it needed was the Vulcan behind it......

Rick.

• Like 1

I nearly burst into tears when I saw this picture Gordon.

Oh come on, it isn't that bad, is it?

Seriously, I'm surprised it came out so well given that I was on my way home when the aircraft appeared, and I had to fish my camera out of its case in the few seconds before they passed overhead.

Glad you liked it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been quiet on here lately. The silence has just been shattered. You can hear a Wokka coming, but the sound bounces off the properties either side of the road, and I live in a 'T' shaped close. I knew it was very near, and had to look between the houses to see it go past below roof top height. Bet it frightened a few motorists as it crossed the A14 which is a couple of hundred yards away.

• 2 weeks later...

An AAC Apache has just gone past Milnrow /Rochdale very low and slow following the M62 motorway from Yorkshire towards Manchester,..awesome sight!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Not as good as the sound of a Wokka, but the sound of an Osprey is fairly distinctive. Had one overhead today just after a C130 that was quite low. And a brace of Apaches a little way off.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually all I get is GA and short haul commercial, along with the region's rescue helicopter and other sundry whirly things. Sometimes the RAAF will do a touch and go in one of their kerosene lawn darts or a Herc, or the Army will drop by in a Blackhawk (I miss the Caribou - always plenty of time to get the camera out, they were usually audible a good 10 minutes before they became visible. Poor old things..)

However, yesterday I had a flyover and a couple of circuits by one of the RAAF's C-17s. Big. Noisy. 300 million dollars worth of the taxpayer's money. Kind of annoying that they didn't bother stopping and letting the locals (who paid for the blasted thing) have a bit of a dekko. Still, I've seen one now.

Meh. I'd rather see the 'Bou.