What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Four F-18's heading in a southerly direction in a hurry over Basingstoke this afternoon. Presumably heading for that big boat in the Solent.

But the best I've ever seen was when I lived in Banbury, in the early '80's when we had a group of 4 B-52s fly over, very low, on their way to Upper Heyford; at least I thought it was Upper Heyford they were going to.

I'll see your 4 B-52's and raise you SIX B-1B's in two vics of 3, very tight, very low and very noisy. They went over the golf course I was playing headed in a Middle Eastern direction from Fairford in 1999. I swear to this day if I'd waved my putter above my head I would have touched one they were that low. Quite the most exhilarating thing I've seen in the air, ever.

• Like 1

Four F-18's heading in a southerly direction in a hurry over Basingstoke this afternoon. Presumably heading for that big boat in the Solent.

I'll see your 4 B-52's and raise you SIX B-1B's in two vics of 3, very tight, very low and very noisy. They went over the golf course I was playing headed in a Middle Eastern direction from Fairford in 1999. I swear to this day if I'd waved my putter above my head I would have touched one they were that low. Quite the most exhilarating thing I've seen in the air, ever.

I fold ;- )

Mind you, I was in London this morning and about 1130 a chinook flew overhead, very low, heading towards the City from Charing Cross Road (I was outside the National Portrait Gallery at the time).

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a Hind cruising about in the distance as I arrived at a client's office this afternoon.

The office is in a surrounding village and I could make out the shape of the Hind through some light, low mist.

Four C-130s in trail heading West at medium height.

The last one had tanks between the engines, and sensor bulges between the wings and tail.

Are they likely to be RAF?

Possibly three RAF `J`s' with an earlier Herk from another air force in trail? A bit of cross training maybe?

Cheers

Tony

I`ve just had a piston twin go over the house at very low level,......following the M62 motorway towards Liverpool,......we are on the Lancs/Yorks border on the Pennines and it was heading towards Barton airfield near Manchester,........I head it but by the time I got to the window it was a dot vanishing very quickly into the distance,....it sounded like a radial engined aircraft but I couldn`t tell what it was! I did think `Mitchell' but we don`t have any flying in the UK any more!

Cheers

Tony

Like the above post I heard a raucous piston engine low over my workplace but couldn't see it. If I had to guess it might have been a Griffon engine Spitfire. I was near Coalville in Leicestershire. at the time (about 4pm). Any ideas? :shrug:

Someone throwing a Spitfire around just East of Goodwood. Heard the noise and rushed out into the garden just in time to see it bank hard round and disappear off to the West.

Driving through Belfast earlier we had a DC-3 PH-PBA in retro KLM colours do a tight turn on to finals and land over the top of us into The City Airport (George Best). Absolutely stunning.

It's still parked there tonight when I drove back past around 2300. It can be seen from the gate or the bridge at Sydenham Halt if anyone's interested.

Big UK exercise on at the moment (Warrior Victor?) we've had a load of Apaches, Merlins and Chinooks in the last 2-3 days. One of the guys who works for me locally in Wiltshire says he had a MV-22 Osprey over his house Sunday...the M4 was very busy with Army trucks on Monday am and we have been sat out on the decking watching para-flares over the Plain last week...something up? Cold War Mk 2?

Five jackdaws at c1030 this morning. All on the ground in a vic of 5 then the lead one took off then the rest followed. Best formation flying I've seen in a long time. I thought it was only geese that flew in vics. It'll be interesting to see what the resident pair of Nuthatches do when the young fledge. Circuits and bumps no doubt for starters.

• Like 3

Just making a cup of tea for SWMBO and myself and heard a heavy jet go over the top here in Cornwall. Quick scurry onto FR24 to notice an Air France Boeing 747 from Boston to CDG at 11000ft, which was the culprit. Not sure why he's at 11000ft rather than the usual 30-ish thousand, but I notice he's now over the Channel inbound to Paris at the same low altitude.

How very peculiar.

Edited by T7 Models