Best 1/144 Space Shuttle and boosters?

VonkeyVong

It's not newer and it's not particularly better - but it's OK.

As is often the case with space models, both the Airfix and Revell kits were released before the Space Shuttle started flying into space. Revell originally released their's as "Enterprise" - complete with tail fairing and long "spike" on the nose, as fitted during some of the glide test flights.

I have heard that the Airfix kit is the best in 1/144, but it's not perfect. I've never built it. I have built the Revell kit (way back in 1980/81) and, more recently, the Minicraft kit. The Minicraft kit is probably the LEAST accurate - but it can still be made up to a reasonable represenatation of the real thing.

Ult2jJjl.jpg

• Like 1

hi matt, its a tough one this...go for it,anyone of the kits ,seemingly they are all wrong,some have decals where tiles are wrong,windows are wrong, its all a load of man-vegetables,

if we were all doing museum quality masterpieces and getting paid for it,,well,i might pick one to start with.but as its fun,how much do you want to spend,how many years have you got to build it.....

just get one you like,they all look like shuttles,paint it white,paint the tank brown/ochre ask some one what it is...its a shuttle?

some of the older ones have better payloads,to show...ive got them all,wont build them yet,because i have,nt found a pic of one i like yet.lol

i think what im trying to say is,you build what you like,i liked them all until i asked someone...lol

hope that helps

don ps

if your really really really desperate to know the diffferences,pm me and tell me which kit,and i,ll try and tell you?lol

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies,

I suppose if they are all inaccurate which is par for the course with a 1/144 model of such a complex aircraft, my question should have been which kit best captures the essence of the Space Shuttle?

I have not built any space vehicles in the past but have looked at the kits from time to time. With Airfix offering their Saturn 1B and Saturn 5 kits at good prices I have bit the bullet and bought three kits, I will not build them oob but I will not put to much effort into correcting them, I will basically just tidy them up and replace anything which looks crazy.

Matt.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies,

I suppose if they are all inaccurate which is par for the course with a 1/144 model of such a complex aircraft, my question should have been which kit best captures the essence of the Space Shuttle?

I have not built any space vehicles in the past but have looked at the kits from time to time. With Airfix offering their Saturn 1B and Saturn 5 kits at good prices I have bit the bullet and bought three kits, I will not build them oob but I will not put to much effort into correcting them, I will basically just tidy them up and replace anything which looks crazy.

Matt.

hi,matt thats exactly how they should be built,i,ll be watching for tips.

cheers

don

The newer issues (2011) of the Airfix Saturns are a big improvement on the original 1970/71 issues.

The upper section of each rocket (the 1st stage, LM fairing, Command/Service Module and Escape Tower) have all been redone to give a proper shape to the whole thing. The panelling on the Service Module is also now correct. The only aspect of the top stage they didn't really address is the fact that the Command Module under the Boost Protection Cover (BPC) is dimensionally way too small and is best left out of the assembly altogether.

There are still issues with the 1st and 2nd stages and the engine bells which, to be completely accurate, would need to be addressed. However, to the average person most of these details (cable trunking, pipes etc) are not that noticeable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Revell kit is the best one. I have checked all 3 available 1/144 kits when decided on which one we will base our new NW131 Shuttle detail set, which should be available in march.

Tom Kladiva

New Ware

• Like 2

Interesting.

I also found that Warbird Decals produce a 1/144 set of decals for the Revell kit. I've now bought both a Revell Orbiter kit and a set of the Warbird decals - which look good.

My plan is to depict an Orbiter in space deploying or working on the Hubble Space Telescope. Now - who does a 1/144 HST?

• 2 weeks later...

The Revell kit is the best one. I have checked all 3 available 1/144 kits when decided on which one we will base our new NW131 Shuttle detail set, which should be available in march.

Tom Kladiva

New Ware

Hi Tom,

what exactly make the Revell kit better? AFAIR the Revel kit has no real u/c bays and simplified nozzles. So it looks a bit more simple from the box. But maybe the over al dimensions and shape is closer to the real thing? Up to now I only read that the Airfix kit is superior (but I have no idea on what exactly this was based). However the same was said about the Monogram 1:72 Shuttle but Keith McNeill found out when doing his awesome tile decals that the pictures of the Space Shuttle he used matched the Revell kit very well, while he had to tweak them to make them fit the Monogram kit.

Rene

• 1 month later...