Haynes V8 Engine kit

roymattblack

Haynes, I haven't tried. I did build a "Visible V8" back in the day. Fantastic kit... In theory. In practice, 14 year old me wasn't enough of a stickler, and it pulled itself apart after a few hundred revolutions. I think you can still find them...

I'd love to do one again. Except this time I'd take HOURS cleaning up, prepping and dry fitting every single part. And today we have, wonder of wonders, silicone "plastic parts grease" available from every bike shop. Guaranteed not to weaken the parts or drain away from where it's needed (unlike the corn oil recommended in the 1978 vintage instructions). If you treat it like you're rebuilding a real engine, with a close eye on the tolerances and the lubrication, I think you might get it to run...

Someone with your skills, Roy, would I'm sure find ways to improve it beyond measure. (I'd love to do mine with a sort of "virtual sectioning" so that the transparent block and head parts are somewhat painted)

It's just a shame it's not a Jag straight six...

Bestest,

M

(Did you notice that the Airfix "four stroke engine" kit is only £7 in the sale that shall not be named?)

These things take me back nearly 50yrs to when i finished me CSEs at school ,for the remainder of the term the class was split into groups depending on merit to do projects, I was green with envy because the cleverest group got one of these to make and they didnt have a clue!!. it was in a huge box full of plastic and loads of nuts and bolts etc, if memory serves me well it was made by Monograme.

In the 70s i had a go at a revell one if memory serves me well, with not much success cause the ex binned the instructions half way through,

They are great fun though

Are we all talking about the same kit?

I was under the impression the Haynes kit was quite new.

It doesn't look anything like the old Revell/Monogram/Renwall kit.

Is the 'old' kit any better - is it even still available?

Roy.

The Haynes 4 cylinder used to be available under a different name in the Early Learning shops about 10 years ago.

I think the "Haynes" engine may have been out in both Humbrol and Science Museum boxes, but it's a completely different kettle of fish from the Airfix Four-stroke, which is a single cylinder..

Bestest,

M.

I was not talking about the old four stroke polystyrene kit, more the self assembly, battery operated 'Engineer' series clear plastic kit that they sell alongside the jet engine.

http://www.airfix.com/shop/airfix-engineer/combustion-engine.html

Edited by Roo

Are we all talking about the same kit?

I was under the impression the Haynes kit was quite new.

It doesn't look anything like the old Revell/Monogram/Renwall kit.

Is the 'old' kit any better - is it even still available?

Roy.

I though they would all be the same kit, however on closer inspection the one I made was the Revell/Monogram/Renwall kit that had a motor and two batteries inside what looked like the cars battery. Press a couple of buttons and the motor turned and the spark plugs flashed in the correct sequence.

Great kit.

Karl

So it looks like the "straight 4" has been out in at least Humbrol "Young Scientist", Science Museum, Haynes and Airfix "Engineer" boxes.

And the Haynes V8 is not the same thing as the Revell "Visible V8"

...so I wonder where the Haynes V8 started life? I can't believe that they'd fund tooling one up themselves (Haynes is more of a brand to be licensed, these days...)

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

We got one today for a relative's Christmas present, and our looks ok. It has lights & a motor, but I can't vouch for its accuracy. Looks like a fun project, and it was cheap ;)

Not had a good look at the V8, but I recently finished the Revell/Renwal P&W Wasp.* As has been said, watch tolerances. It all turned nicely until the last few bolts, then it got a bit tight. I used a smear of Vaseline on the contacting surfaces and gears.

Interesting subjects.

*It was at Telford on the Ipswich stand.

You don't need much at all. It will weaken the plastic, and all your gear teeth will crumble. Don't ask me how I know...

Seriously, given how rare and collectible the Wasp is, I'd take it apart right now, get all the Vaseline off pronto, and use bike shop silicone plastic parts grease when you put it back together... It's well over $1000 bucks to buy one now.

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon