Revell Boeing 737-800 [Completed]

POTKC

P38 car filler is much better, I've started to use this as it doesn't shrink and you can sand it in 10 minutes!

I agree but it's very smelly.

Lady Skodadriver rarely complains about anything modelling related but I'm only allowed to use P38 when she's out!

I'm another for p38 but once again. I only use it when wife and kids are out!

Thank you all for the advice about P38, however there is one, significant, problem. I live in Moscow, Russia. This means that there is no guarantee that I will be able to find any of the wonderful supplies like Milliput, Klear, Squadron Green Putty etc., and that includes P38. However, that does not mean that these do not exist here. Therefore I will try to look for this P38 and see how it works.

I have decided what aircraft I will be building. D-ABBG, an Airberlin 737-86J, serial number 32918. It is currently in storage and has been re-registered as SU-TMG, ready to be delivered to a new Egyptian airline, FlyEgypt, also known as T1 Airlines.

I painted the engines and main gear bay yesterday. Sort of improvised with the engines as the instructions did not give painting information of some areas. They will probably not be seen, but it is better for me to know that there is some paint in there. I also prepared the wings for glueing. You may notice that there is some paint on the wings, I noticed during dry-fitting that a part of the MGB is moulded with the top parts of the wings. This is barely visible when the gear is installed, but still.

Here are some photos. Please remember that on the photographs each part is about five times bigger than the real thing, so they look a lot neater in real life.

XBRW89Z.jpg

5EeZMQi.jpg

CDYG6vR.jpg

• Like 1

No, I think that for my first build that is too complicated. I will, however, modify the winglets as that is a lot easier. Also a question: My plan for the build is to attach the wings to the fuselage and paint that and the engines separately, then attach engines, then decals, then horizontal stabilizers and finally gear. Do you think this will work?

No, I think that for my first build that is too complicated. I will, however, modify the winglets as that is a lot easier. Also a question: My plan for the build is to attach the wings to the fuselage and paint that and the engines separately, then attach engines, then decals, then horizontal stabilizers and finally gear. Do you think this will work?

FWIW that's the way I'd do it. Some modellers prefer to build and paint a series of sub-assemblies but personally I'm in the "stick and mask" camp. I find it easier to get a good finish that way rather than try to touch up damaged paintwork. With the 738 you'll probably have to do a little filling and touching up around the engine pylons (particularly ahead of the wing) but it shouldn't be anything major.

Good work so far, I've fancied getting this kit so am interested in how it goes together.

Not a bad order to do things, If the horizontal stabilizers are a good fit and dont require filling then its sensible enough. I would leave the engines off until after decalling if that is possible as I am a clumsy oaf and would only knock them off anyway - saves wasting glue!

Keep up the good work

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin

I have painted the landing gear except for the wheels and the engines are now ready for the white and red to be sprayed. I have decided that I will build D-ABBG as it looks here:

D-ABBG_(14006621726).jpg

It is a good thing that I made this decision before painting the wheels as the kit instruction tell me to paint the nose wheel hubs red, not silver. I will thing of something smart to do with the decals to show the jagged line on the nose, probably the radome was replaced and the line did not match up. If I find any differences between the painting instructions and this image I will, of course, try to reflect the image rather than following the instructions.

It's not uncommon to see airliners wearing radomes which don't match the rest of their paint. It's just proof that we modellers aren't the only ones who don't always get the masking on straight :P

Have you heard of the Fokker 28 that had a replacement radome? The livery was Canadian Airlines:

C-FOCR-Canadian-Regional-Airlines-Fokker

and some genius painted the radome upside-down, with white on the bottom and blue on the top. I don't have a photo of the result but you can probably imagine how ridiculous it looked.

Edited by POTKC

I puttied over the windows and some parts where the fuselage did not align properly, and am currently sanding all the extra away. I wrote a song about it (sing to the tune of "Clean up, clean up everybody, everywhere"):

Sanding dust

Sanding dust

It is going

Everywhere

On the floor and

On the table

On my pants and

In my hair.

Another thing: I tried to test fit my completed wing assembly (-engines) to the fuselage, and I found that the gear bay does not fit though the hole. Does anyone know how to fix that?

• Like 2

Another thing: I tried to test fit my completed wing assembly (-engines) to the fuselage, and I found that the gear bay does not fit though the hole. Does anyone know how to fix that?

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/75911-correcting-the-revell-737-800/

Scroll down to the end of the first post

Thank you! I have sanded away all the extra putty and, what do you think? It shrank and there are holes in some of the windows. I am preparing the fuselage (and myself) for another round of filling and sanding but construction is going slowly thanks to the Christmas holidays and spending time with family. You'd think there would be MORE modeling time, not less, during a vacation!

• 1 month later...

It has been a long time, but not much has been done. I have glued the wings to the fuselage. While dryfitting everything looked great, but after gluing I discovered terrible fit issues and two giant seams. The wing root attaches (almost) perfectly to the fuselage, but there is terrible misalignment at the sides where the wings attach. I pondered over how to fix this, tried so meagre sanding, and then got fed up with it for two weeks. Anyway, I came back to it today, stuck on the winglets and primed the whole assembly. I decided to leave the misalignments as they are as this is my first (proper) model and I do not want to destroy it even more while trying to fix it. Sorry, I forgot to take photos, but will soon. For now, just imagine an engine- and tailplane-less, matt grey, 737-800 with disgusting seams at the wing root. The seam issues did slightly diminish under primer, so that's a plus!

Try slivers of plastic card. Measure the length of the gap, cut your card that long, and then glue it into the gap with liquid glue. Once it's dry you can sand off the excess.

The problem is not a gap, but rather a misalignment. There is no-where to put plastic card into. I will try to take photos tomorrow, but right now I have to go to bed as it is terribly late and I am very tired. But thank you for the advice, anyway!

OK, here are the photos of the last three days' progress.

Tuesday

I primed the fuselage and wings, and I must say that for my first try I was expecting worse. I then realized that I had forgotten to glue on the tiny aerials, vents and APU exhaust that Revell for some reason did not mould as part of the fuselage. Here is how it looked when I left it:

dBEHgWU.jpg

Yes, I use Revell paint boxes (full of paint pots with paint in them) as stands. Also, here is a photo of the seam I wrote about:

MLiiZsK.jpg

Wednesday

First, I masked the engines off for priming/painting. I am actually pretty proud of the system I thought of, even though it is probably un-original. There is a piece of paper wrapped into a tube inside the exhaust section - to mask off all the brush painted bits - which is held in place by a piece of 10mm Tamiya tape going over the top of the pylon. The tube tapers to a flat surface, which I (or in this particular case, my friend who is a lot more experienced with spray can/airbrush painting and was helping me) can hold onto while the whole thing is sprayed:

0aip9zi.jpg

You can also see the horizontal stabilizers in the photo above. The intake was masked by sticking a piece of scotch tape straight onto the front of the engine and then cutting around it:

Om814r4.jpg

Thursday (Today)

I gave the fuselage and wings one last coat of primer, and also primed the h-stabs and engines. My masking system worked perfectly, which I am very happy about. I forgot to mention, but the primer I am using is Tamiya rattle can stuff, and I also masked the gear bays with pieces of sponge, which is a completely un-original idea stolen from countless WIPs I have read here on Britmodeller. The sponge also doubles as a sacrifice to the Modeling Gods to help with the painting ahead.

aFrQx6N.jpg

Then I proceeded to mask off the wings in preparation for painting the fuselage and winglets white. This was done with a combination of Tamiya 10mm tape and some fantastic masking polystyrene stuff which is basically super-thin plastic bag material which can be cut, folded, or conformed to surfaces any way you want.

NwmoR2H.jpg

And, finally, the the airbrushing! Yay! This was the first time I ever used an airbrush (except for the practice run with black paint on paper a few weeks ago), and it could have been worse! The only problem I had was a horrible abundance of dust, and I think what has happened is I have gotten an 'orange peel' effect (is that what you call a really rough finish?), not because of painting problems but because of all the dust. My airbrush-expert friend told me that I can fix that with a dry sponge, some 1200 grit sandpaper and then another coat of paint. So, guess what I am doing tomorrow? Also, Murphy's Law happened - the bottom of the plane, which no-one will see, is the only part which is nice, smooth and glossy. I wonder if that will change after the red is painted, I hope not! Anyway, here is the model as I left it today. I also painted the engines white, but forgot to take a photo of them.

uQ89C2f.jpg

• Like 1