Revell Boeing 737-800 [Completed]

POTKC

This is my first WIP post here on Britmodeller, and the second model I am building. I have decided that I will be building D-ABBG, an Airberlin 737-86J, serial number 32918. It is currently in storage and has been re-registered as SU-TMG, ready to be delivered to a new Egyptian airline, FlyEgypt, also known as T1 Airlines. Anyway, here are what I have found (while lurking on Britmodeller without an account) to be the normal 'introduction images' (sorry for the size):

qTxcUrp.jpg

The box is new and shiny as I bought this kit in Vienna just a few weeks ago and it has not had time to become bent and ruined.

N1eLAqV.jpg

Three sprues, two with the fuselage and other parts and one with aerodynamic bits, plus a clear sprue with the canopy and landing lights. Everything is moulded very very well, lots of beautiful detail and there is no warping (expectable since the kit is so new).

Edited by POTKC
  • Like 2

Thanks!!! I've painted the inside of the nose gear bay Revell 91 'Steel, Metallic' and when it dries I will paint the little hydraulic lines (?) in there with Revell 361 'Light Grey, Silky-Matt'.

Now, I need some advice. Should I paint over the transparent canopy, fill the windows and then use the provided decals or keep everything as the instructions say? The problem is, I am certain that I will not be able to paint around the cockpit windows properly so I am leaning towards the decal option on that front, but what about the windows?

Personally I'm a decal user so that would be my option. The cabin window line is too low and the only practical way to fix that and retain your sanity is to fill the openings and use decals.

If you've been lurking on BM you'll be aware that the kit has a few issues, particularly with the engines and the winglets. Almost everything you need to know is here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/75911-correcting-the-revell-737-800/

Considering it is your second build, I would use the kit windscreen decal myself and fill the cabin windows. You can fill from the outside or inside.

From the outside I glue scrap plastic sheet behind the openings and lay tape above and below the window line (this preserves the detail around the windows when sanding and keeps the filler away from this detail when adding it). Add the filler, let it set and sand away the excess. You will probably need to fill a couple of times due to shrinkage. Finish up with a low grit paper to remove scratches.

From the inside I lay tape along the windows on the outside and add the filler from the inside, in this case epoxy or superglue. Let it set for a few days and then remove the tape. You may have some small pin holes to fill due to air pockets but it reduces the sanding required on the outside of the fuselage.

I used the 'fill from inside' method on this Zvezda 747-8 using superglue

ZvezdaB747-86_zpse1d59003.jpg

The tape is still on the outside of the bottom fuselage half. As you can see any tape will do, I used clear tape here but have also used masking tape in the past

Use this as a learning experience for future builds. Don't worry about kit accuracy issues. concentrate on fit and finish if you can.

Welcome to BM. As you've already found out, it's a very friendly and helpful group. I agree with TrojanThunder, just concentrate on building the kit , rather than the accuracy- that will come later. Your skills will improve with each kit you build and as they do you'll naturally start making the builds more accurate.

Another nifty trick to fill windows is Milliput. Roll up a rope of Milliput and press it into the windows from behind. Then trim it off with a hobby knife and run a moistened finger over it all to smooth it off. That way you minimise sanding and preserve details.

777_build_1.jpg

bop_4.jpgbop_5.jpg

• Like 4

Another nifty trick to fill windows is Milliput. Roll up a rope of Milliput and press it into the windows from behind. Then trim it off with a hobby knife and run a moistened finger over it all to smooth it off. That way you minimise sanding and preserve details.

777_build_1.jpg

bop_4.jpgbop_5.jpg

Cool, think I'll give that a try with my imminent Airfix 727 build :)

Right, well, I've painted the tiny details in the nose gear bay, and it took a lot more effort than it should have. The paint pot refused to open for about five minutes and then suddenly blew open, showering myself and my immediate surroundings with it's contents. I manage to get the paint off my floor, table and watch but my shirt is now permanently redecorated. After cleaning everything up I painted the grand total of five drops of paint into the gear bay. Sigh.

• Like 1

Oh dear! :owww:

I had a similar experience with a tin of Xtracolor Coroguard a few years ago. It's just as well that I wear glasses or I'd have got it in both eyes. As it was I had to get one wall of my dining room repapered and Lady Skodadriver's favourite lampshade needed to be re-covered. It's the only time in 38 years of marriage that modelling has been an issue between us.

Learning from that experience I never open a new tin of metallic enamel without putting a cloth over it.

As we say in Scotland "Ye ken the noo ..."

• Like 1

Interesting bunch of info here as I just picked up the very kit/box of 800 as well for my first Airliner project. It's interesting to read how many things are wrong with this kit. You would imagine Revell, or any manufacture, would get these Airliners correct since the parts count is low compare to typical military subject.

Btw, nice little trick with milliputty there Jessica. I'll too will give it a try. ;)

Mike

Right, well, I've painted the tiny details in the nose gear bay, and it took a lot more effort than it should have. The paint pot refused to open for about five minutes and then suddenly blew open, showering myself and my immediate surroundings with it's contents. I manage to get the paint off my floor, table and watch but my shirt is now permanently redecorated. After cleaning everything up I painted the grand total of five drops of paint into the gear bay. Sigh.

I'm sure Hannant's put out a warning about the silvers doing that, I've had it a couple of times, I usually do them in a bit plastic bag nowadays

I masked the windows from the outside with 5 centimeter masking tape and filled them from the inside with Tamiya White Putty. This was my first time using putty or Revell 'Painta Clean' paint and putty dissolving stuff, so the puttying was not very neat and I managed to get putty off the spatula but onto my hands while cleaning it, however most of it is gone now. Despite all the battling with a spatula, I think (and really really hope) the windows will come out fine. Anyway, cue the pictures:

OudcYIs.jpg

ja2hsq5.jpg

• Like 1

I need advice. I took of the masking tape today after letting the putty dry for 48 hours, and saw this:

MvLKXy1.jpg

Lots of tiny little air bubbles ruining my windows. How should I fix this? Will pouring superglue into the windows and then sanding work?

I find cyano very good for small filling jobs where you can sand it down before it goes completely hard - but I wouldn't use it on the sort of job you've got there.

If you're happy with the Tamiya White Putty (I've never used it so I don't know how hard it is to sand) - why not simply fill the windows now from the outside? You've got a backing to the windows now so there's something to fill against. Avoids mixing media as well.

It'll be a bit of a pain doing them all but that's the nature of the beast innit :)

Enjoying the thread. Never done an airliner myself so learning alongside you :)

Steve

Thanks for the advice, I did a bit of a test with Tamiya putty and it does not seem to be very hard to sand. I just need to find a suitable something to put it onto the windows with. I'm glad you're enjoying my thread, I loved reading through your Jet Provost thread!!!

Edited by POTKC

I need advice. I took of the masking tape today after letting the putty dry for 48 hours, and saw this:

MvLKXy1.jpg

Lots of tiny little air bubbles ruining my windows. How should I fix this? Will pouring superglue into the windows and then sanding work?

I used to have the same problem but then I found out that for a better result I just needed to shuffle the putty with a wet finger applying some pressure to force the air bubble to come out...

In this case, I'd run a strip of masking tape just above and below each window band, apply the putty liberally, let dry and then peel up the tape. You'll be left with a strip of of putty just wider than the windows and no damage elsewhere. Sand and then scribe back the few panel lines which got covered.

I decided that it would be easier to finish filling the windows when I will be doing the seam filling putty work, so I glued 28 grams (the instructions say 25 but I wanted to be sure) of bolts and screws into the nose, closed the fuselage and glued on the canopy. The canopy is still drying as I write this.