Revell are doing a 'new' 1/72nd Concorde

tomprobert

I don't think Revell have ever re-released an Airfix-tooled kit, so presumably this Concorde counts as Heller and was retained by them?

Yeap it was tooled by Heller from 3 different sources if i recall, which is why its a crap fit. i don't think Airfix miss it

I think the original kit seemed to me to be a bit of a rush job. Very bad design & engineering. Was it really necessary for example to split the fuselage into 4 sections (including the droop nose?) - none of which were the same diameter at the joins? Well, I can accept that the sheer length might have necessitated a 2 way split but 4???. I've persevered with & built two. I think it was worth it because, it looks every inch a Concorde when built despite the appalling fit problems. I think Airfix missed an opportunity here. Imagine a new tool 1/72 Concorde made to their current standards! Cannot see it happening though. Meantime, I have a couple of "what if" projects in mind so, I'm personally glad to see this kit again under Revell guise. Yes, it IS a challenging build but I never felt compelled to give up & bin it. Biggest problem I have is what will assuredly be a "wow" factor! The most beautiful aircraft ever built portrayed on a spectacular box top screaming "BUY ME, BUILD ME!". A lot of people could potentially be put off modelling when they find out the work required.

Allan

• Like 2

Agree with all of the above, Allan. It is buildable (I too have built one and have another in the stash ready to go) but the way it was moulded did mean a number of unnecessary problems that could have been avoided with a little more forethought.

I will probably pass on this reissue as it does appear from what others have said to be the Heller kit; I was hoping for a new state-of-th-art modern tooling. Never mind, that wait goes on...

Tom

• Like 1

They should put one of their "Classic" health warnings on it -- experienced modellers only...

If you are up for the work, the fixes are well detailed on line, and it's easier than scratch building, and no doubt a lot cheaper than the ? AModel? ?1/48? one (I'm sure I remember a rumour of the ultimate bonkers Concorde kit from points east, but the details escape me)

I've only built the one, but deciding to fix the nose in one position and building two fuselage halves out of the segments first helped a lot. The engines can be made to fit, and if you build it gear up, you can avoid a lot of hassle shortening and moving the nose landing gear...

It just seemed to me that if you did that, you were paying an awful lot for a kit that ended up no more complex or detailed than the rather nice Revell 1/200 snap kit!

Bestest,

M.

Agree with all of the above, Allan. It is buildable (I too have built one and have another in the stash ready to go) but the way it was moulded did mean a number of unnecessary problems that could have been avoided with a little more forethought.

I will probably pass on this reissue as it does appear from what others have said to be the Heller kit; I was hoping for a new state-of-th-art modern tooling. Never mind, that wait goes on...

Tom

Hi Tom

I think the Heller & Airfix kit were actually one & the same? I certainly would NOT recommend to an inexperienced modeller but, it does make a stunning replica when complete. Although the fit issues are serious, I have built a number of limited run (including A model) kits that also had serious fit issues but, you kind of expect that in a limited run kit, NOT a kit from a mainstream manufacturer. I was also hoping for a new tooling but, any this 1/72 Concorde is better than no 1/72 Concorde !!. Be interesting to see the RRP. The Airfix/Heller kits have been fetching silly prices on the second hand market

Allan

It is buildable

One may build it straight from the box - no problem. The problem is that the result does not look like Concorde to my eyes

I haven't seen properly built Concorde in 1:72 yet with at least major shape problems fixed.

• Like 1

One may build it straight from the box - no problem. The problem is that the result does not look like Concorde to my eyes

I haven't seen properly built Concorde in 1:72 yet with at least major shape problems fixed.

Coincidentally, one of my local club colleagues brought a completed version of the Airfix kit to our latest meet, last evening and it was a truly superb build. Its taken quite a bit of effort and a heap of patience, as we have all witnessed during the past year during regular 'progress checks' but it is buildable and the reward has been a museum standard model. As we all commented last evening, its a pity that more have not risen to the challenge…hopefully the Revell re-release will persuade one or two to have a go (providing they have the space to display the finished article !).

museum standard model

Has he fixed shape issues?

The main issue is not the visor that is way too long, not the cockpit windows that are of wrong shape, not the cabin windows that are way too large, not the displaced front and main wheel wells, not the incorrect shapes of wing fairings but the underbelly that is

far too high

Far_too_high.jpg

far too wide

Far_too_wide.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

that is incurable without serious surgery that eventually exhausted my enthusiasm towards building accurate 1:72 replica

IMG_1727.jpg

HpH are bringing the 48th kit out, full resin kit.

A test shot was on shot at Telford - it's a big bugger!!!! Looked very nice, though....

It wasn't just a test shot at Telford - they were actually selling the kit. I know because I enquired - I said I'd get one next year only to be told that they were very limited and that most had gone! A bargain at £350 each.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Chanced upon the Revell boxing for the fist time today, complete surprise to me. As already mentioned, it's the old Heller kit, which made me think of mine. She's been in storage for a while now, so I've quickly taped her together for a few photos. This is a rebuild, but from what I can remember when I originally built it was that A. The nose is awful (subsequently now rebuilt) and B. The wings do not match the fuselage.

The fuselage fits well on my example, and it is build-able, just remember to keep a lot of filler in stock. I've still not chipped out all of the expired filler from the first build..

IMG_3998_zps10c0811d.jpg

IMG_4001_zps9c103583.jpg

IMG_4002_zps26793e51.jpg

IMG_3999_zps74547d90.jpg

The ultimate goal...

7_zps664fa702.jpg

Yeap it was tooled by Heller from 3 different sources if i recall, which is why its a crap fit. i don't think Airfix miss it

I won what Airfix described as a prototype test-shot of the 1/72 Concorde in an Airfix competition in November 2004. It arrived as seen - moulded in differently-coloured plastic as a result of being produced by different companies. The different colours, helping to work out who made what! Here are pictures of it, apologies for a couple of blurred pictures. The other aircraft shown for comparison is a 1/72 Harrier which gives a good idea of just how big this thing is:

concorde_prototype_01_zpsc68bec5a.jpg

concorde_prototype_02_zps3c5c76a7.jpg

concorde_prototype_06_zpsbecc3877.jpg

concorde_prototype_17_zpsdd7bb274.jpg

concorde_prototype_18_zpsb133a806.jpg

Not the best built of examples with gluey fingerprints, short-shot parts and bad joins. At least the nose still drooped though! Unsurprisingly, it put me off buying a production kit! When I moved house I had to sell it along with a lot of my stash. Brian Canell was the "lucky" recipient!

Dave

Edited by davecov